Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What magwell are you using and why?!

LimitedCam

14 minutes ago, RobRich77 said:

Stan Chen! Why; Perfection
https://store.chencustom.com/product_p/si-mag.htm

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

image.png.80c61f2daf26786fa4fc1de6d1c0d3d5.png

For my "non-single stack Open guns", I like the Limcat magwell. Basically impossible to miss a reload regardless of how the mag is inserted. Akai now makes a magwell that is supposed to fit the Cheely grip that does the same thing

28 minutes ago, Balakay said:

image.png.80c61f2daf26786fa4fc1de6d1c0d3d5.png

For my "non-single stack Open guns", I like the Limcat magwell. Basically impossible to miss a reload regardless of how the mag is inserted. Akai now makes a magwell that is supposed to fit the Cheely grip that does the same thing

Same. I have 3 limcat magwells and they are awesome. 

Might have a hard time getting a mag in those Chen magwells. 🤣

Edited by echotango

Pretty sure you have to go Cheely and it comes with one so you're set.  The self correcting ones they have now are pretty nice.  Just pick small hands vs big hands.

I got a PT magwell for my PT grip and if they made it in steel it would be great.  But they don't so its still good just gets beat up easily. 

Limcat V2 brass top. Gives nice balance to my plastic grip STI open pistol. Fits my hands as well or better than Dawson Ice largehands unit. Almost have to try to miss the reload to mess up. 

I picked up a used Akai stainless unit also. 9oz. Looks well made but haven't used it yet. Little less hand grip space than the Limcat when installed.

4 hours ago, Fo0 said:

Do SVI magwells go on the Cheely Grip with no fitting

I tried one and the sides of the svi magwell were a touch tight. I reckon it would fit with a bit of file work. The openings look the same but I didnt get that far before selling the svi. 

I have the Cheely, because I'm stuck with a Cheely.  I was a little bummed about it originally, but I will say that the delrin is pretty forgiving on feed lips and he does have the self correcting geometry now in the XL.  The mag release is also proprietary.

I'd be interested in trying an Akai if there's no fitting required and he comes out with a Steel version.  Right now they're only offered in Aluminum (at least as far as I can find).

Edited by clw42

1 hour ago, LimitedCam said:

Thanks you guys. I was interested in the limcat or akai magwell, i was just curious about fitting. Doesn’t seem as impossible as it thought. 

Imo the biggest advantage of the Limcat in brass or Akai in steel is adding approximately 8 or so ounces to balance out a plastic light grip especially with a weight forward open gun. If you have a steel grip and not looking to add weight not so much of an advantage for just a slightly easier reload opening providing  the choice magwell fits and supports your hands well.

7 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Imo the biggest advantage of the Limcat in brass or Akai in steel is adding approximately 8 or so ounces to balance out a plastic light grip especially with a weight forward open gun. If you have a steel grip and not looking to add weight not so much of an advantage for just a slightly easier reload opening providing  the choice magwell fits and supports your hands well.

Well you're in luck...

https://ccgunworks.com/xl-magwell-bighands-brass/

On 2/22/2020 at 1:41 PM, vgdvc said:

I also have the Limcat brass heavy magwell on a plastic grip CK open gun. Really like the weight & how the gun balances and the way reloads go in. Also have a Dawson Ice that I tried but went back to the Limcat.

Now the downside is Dawson type tool less large mag extensions will not go in to the Limcat. Has to be the low profile MBX or TTS type on the 140mm mags. Even the stock STI bases will work.

gerritm

On 2/22/2020 at 1:40 PM, Silverscooby27 said:

Honest question. What are you hoping to get out of a Limcat or Akai magwell that you cannot get out of a Cheely XL magwell? Have you tried any of them?

The magwell on it has a plastic protector insert, imo it makes reloading Harder than needed. Ive have ria’s and an atlas titan with the steel “mess up proof” magwells. And id like more back end weight. 

5 hours ago, LimitedCam said:

The magwell on it has a plastic protector insert, imo it makes reloading Harder than needed. Ive have ria’s and an atlas titan with the steel “mess up proof” magwells. And id like more back end weight. 

It seems like this is a big deal to you.  Can you just get the gun with a PT grip instead so you can get the staineless magwell? If not then I wouldn't sweat it as much and just go witht the brass Cheely magwell so you can add some weight and test it out.  Or email akai and see if he will make the Cheely Magwell in stainless for you. 

7 hours ago, CaliYeti said:

It seems like this is a big deal to you.  Can you just get the gun with a PT grip instead so you can get the staineless magwell? If not then I wouldn't sweat it as much and just go witht the brass Cheely magwell so you can add some weight and test it out.  Or email akai and see if he will make the Cheely Magwell in stainless for you. 

Not a big deal just open to opinions. Thanks guys!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...