Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM CRIMP DIE DIFFERENCE BTW SEMI AUTO & REVO?

TheGoatMumbler

There is.

No way an auto crimp can hold the rounds to follow on an 8 shot moonclip. By #5 or 6 you'll get the bullet creeping out and by #7 or 8 you might lockup the cylinder.  I do leave an indent on coated bullets.  Can't give you a measurement, I just kept crimping until #7 and 8 didn't lengthen after shooting the first 6 shots.

1 hour ago, TheGoatMumbler said:

I've been reloading 147g RN Blue Bullets for my semi auto with no problems. Is there any crimping difference when reloading for my 9mm revolver?

Taper crimp and REDDING makes an excellent die that can be bought separately. I would not use something like the LEE FCD because it's really intended for .355" jacketed and can swage cast/coated bullets to that dia.

Since the bullet is .356" dia. That should help prevent bullets from walking forward during firing combined with a good taper crimp. There's another option that's kind of a reach, and your revolver would need to use moon clips rather than the cylinders being individually cut for chambers, and that would be a roll crimp die for the short-lived 9mm Federal.😉

The revolvers that do not use a moon clip have a ledge similar to the chamber of a 9mm pistol where the round headspaces off of.

Again, factory ammo is all crimped the same regardless of whether it is to be used in a revolver or pistol. I would think that is you are having to alter the crimp to retain the bullet in the revolver you may need more taper crimp or neck tension.

If you were to put a roll crimp on it and then use it in a pistol you could have some headspace issues.

42 minutes ago, lonestardiver said:

The revolvers that do not use a moon clip have a ledge similar to the chamber of a 9mm pistol where the round headspaces off of.

Again, factory ammo is all crimped the same regardless of whether it is to be used in a revolver or pistol. I would think that is you are having to alter the crimp to retain the bullet in the revolver you may need more taper crimp or neck tension.

If you were to put a roll crimp on it and then use it in a pistol you could have some headspace issues.

There are 9mm revolvers that have each cylinder cut as a 9mm chamber. I can't think of a current DA revolver, but they have been made in the past like the S&W 547. The Ruger Blackhawk would be an example for a SA revolver and cartridges headspace on the case-mouth, just the same as autos.

9mm revolvers that use moon clips headspace on the moon clip. You have crimping options, provided a die exists that would roll crimp a 9mm case. I mentioned the 9mm Federal because it was made for revolvers. It wasn't around long, and you'd have to research the dies to see what crimp it applied.

Other than that, taper crimping is about the only solution. And while .355" bullets have been known to walk forward during recoil, oversized cast/coated/plated at .356" have greater neck tension on the case. Something else that might be worth trying, and always a good idea if you're gonna shoot cast lead bullets is to slug the bore to find its true groove dia. If it is .355", you could even go to a .357" cast bullet since some cast bullet makers offer different diameter bullets. Maybe poly-coated as well. And obviously, 9 x 19mm Factory ammo is taper crimped for autos, but that does not mean that there isn't a handloading solution for a 9mm revolver that uses moon clips.😉

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I use a Lee 9mm FCD with .358 bullets and use a Lee U die.

A 9mm revo has to use moonclips.

This is the correct answer!!.  I run the same set up with 147gr Blue RN with no issue with bullet creeping outdo case.  Best way to test is load up 8, fire 7 and pull/inspect #8.  You should see no bullet creep..

I should have mentioned I'm shooting a S&W 929 with moon clips. My SEMI auto loads are fairly light for IDPA (129 pf).  I have some  rounds  loaded up in moon clips to shoot this afternoon and I'll report back the results. I might even run back by the house and grab my calipers to check after I shoot round  6&7.  Thanks for the info. I knew you guys would have some thoughts on this. :)

Edited by TheGoatMumbler