Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a real benefit to milling a slide for an optic vs using a mounting plate?

Chris777

Started shooting CO with my G34 and M&P.  I am using a dove tail mounting plate for now.  Curious to know how much of a benefit there really is to milling the slide to lower the optic 1/8" or so?

With my mounting plate, I need to max out my vertical elevation to get a zero, but is there a speed benefit in finding the dot or target acquisition with a slightly lowered optic on the slide... or should I just ignore the new hotness look of a milled CO slide and shoot the gun with the dove tail plate....

Thanks

So, I tried a dovetail plate on my SP-01. I found that I had a hard time acquiring the dot because the sight was set so high. The plate was also a bit unstable. After struggling for 2 years, I went with a PPQ M5 match that has a milled slide and multiple plates included. I’m very happy with this setup.

Milling it in makes it lower and easier to adjust to when switching from irons. 

You can adapt to having it on a plate, I just found it easier to pick it up right away if it's lower. 

This is coming from someone who has shot less than a dozen matches in CO after 15 years of irons. 

50 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

before I milled an existing gun, I would just buy a new gun that is optic-ready. The bonus of this approach is that you get to buy a new gun, which of course is the whole point.

California doesn't have that option.  I have to buy Glock Gen3's vs the optic ready Gen4 or Gen5.  And it's a 50/50 whether to mill the slide or just purchase an already milled slide.

Milled (no mounting plate)means one less thing to come loose. If you know you’re gonna shoot CO and you know what dot you want to use, milled might be better. Though more expensive. 

Saying that, getting used to dot being higher on a plate did not bother me. I would not sweat that at all. Best shooters in the game are almost all using plates. Plates give you all kinds of options. Resale. Switch dots. Put irons back on and shoot different divisions. Cheaper. 

Edited by B_RAD

Milling for sure. But you have to make sure the guy knows what he’s doing. My buddy went stupid cheap and had a local milling shop do is slide on his cz. He kept breaking his red dots thinking his dot was defective. After some measuring, turns out the guy who killed his slide was off just enough to have the cycling of the gun break the red dot. Now he’s out a slide!  Get it done by a reputable company who knows what they are doing. 

i go back and forth between optics and dots a lot.  'beware the man with one gun' def doesn't apply to me!  the lower the dot, the easier it is for me to pick up.  thus i prefer milled slides vs mounting plates, and on my open guns i have the optics turned 90 degrees to get the dot as low as possible.  but if you're going to run one gun in all the games and their divisions, that prob isn't as important because you won't be going back and forth.

If you are just transitioning from Production to CO, the lowest dot will ease the transition.  If you are willing to spend a week or so at dry fire practice, it doesn't matter.  I have dot mounted directly to a scalloped out 1911.  I have a dovetail adapter on another 1911.  I have plates an my CZ.  I have slide mounted and frame mounted Open guns.  The largest sight is a C-More Slide ride mounted vertically.  It is 2"+ above the bore.  It does not present a problem.

Personally, if I were going to shoot CO I would go with a sight with a larger window.  It makes it easier to pick up the dot when shooting around barriers, or any time the gun is not directly in front of you.

3 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I prefer a plate. I like the dot a little higher. I can go back and forth from CO to open and the index is very similar. 

I actually like mine a little higher also.

Seems like I can see around the gun better.

Probably just "feeling" but on a timer I'm better with splits with the slightly higher dots!  

Again personal preference and what you get used to like ZZT said, a little dryfire goes a long ways! (Paraphrased)

Without reading the previous 16 posts......

I started in CO from the very beginning, I have tried it all.  Height above the bore is not a big deal, you just get used to the index.... What IS a big deal is eliminating variables.  A mounting plate is an unnecessary variable.  If you are in the game you can afford a gun designed to directly mount a dot or can afford to have one milled.  Don’t mess with mounting plates if you are serious.  

Been there done that, Sh!t breaks/wears out.

1 hour ago, zhunter said:

I started in CO from the very beginning, I have tried it all.  Height above the bore is not a big deal, you just get used to the index.... What IS a big deal is eliminating variables.  A mounting plate is an unnecessary variable.  If you are in the game you can afford a gun designed to directly mount a dot or can afford to have one milled.  Don’t mess with mounting plates if you are serious.  

The CZ Optics Ready system is about a bombroof as it gets with a cruciform lug locating the plate in two axis and taking the shear forces away from the screws.  It's as sturdy as direct milling.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 3:11 PM, zhunter said:

can confirm i went through around 10 adapter plates on my m&p.  They always broke.  I started shooting 9 major through it and the alignment pins would literally just shear off.  I finally just sent it off to be milled and havent had an issue since