Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for recommendations open gun

WAlamo

3 hours ago, WAlamo said:

Hi everyone.  Now that STI has left the competition gun market for the tactical market.  Which brand/maker of 2011 open guns that are about the same quality and cost of a DVC Open would you recommend?

I wouldn't buy a gun that was about the same quality as a DVC. :P Look at a CK Arms gun. Great gun for the money. I love my Cheely Guns but he has stopped building to focus on aftermarket parts.

37 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I wouldn't buy a gun that was about the same quality as a DVC. :P Look at a CK Arms gun. Great gun for the money. I love my Cheely Guns but he has stopped building to focus on aftermarket parts.

You are right about going with better quality.  But some of us can only afford DVC quality.  I wish I could get me a 7k open gun!

42 minutes ago, WAlamo said:

You are right about going with better quality.  But some of us can only afford DVC quality.  I wish I could get me a 7k open gun!

You can, there have been some very nice used one here on the forums recently..I have Akai guns, 1 new and 1 was used..both run great!!

8 hours ago, WAlamo said:

Again CK Arms. Get one direct from CK or Shooters Connection. $4000

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CK-Arms-Hardcore-V2-Open-Gun-Slide-Ride-9mm-BlkSS-Controls-SS-Grip-P5727.aspx

Tbh I dont think theres a better use of money than going custom. You could spend 8k and get some generic marked up open gun that companies sell or spend like 5 or 6k on something that performs just as well that is completely custom to you. 

That being said..venom customs. They are truly works of art and they shoot beautifully.

If you do decide to go the custom route, you should definitely consider Bedell Custom. Dan does incredible work and you wouldn’t be disappointed. You can find one of  his open guns listed in the classified section every now and then. 

19 hours ago, WAlamo said:

There is no rule that says you have to go with a nationally known custom builder.  There are many, many talented local builders who do excellent work.  For example, Hellfire Custom Guns (local to me) recently built an Open gun for a friend.  It was a plain jane build, but it runs like a top.  Cost?  $2600.  Cheely Custom frame, Caspian slide, poly grip and all EGW internals.

Another way to go is to buy a Warwick tactical short block consisting of a mated slide to frame and a Barsto bull threaded barrel (fit) for just under $1100.  They sell this short block to a number of custom builders who use it as a basis for their 'custom' pistols.  If you can't finish the rest of the gun yourself, give it to a good, local 1911 smith for completion.

Edited by zzt

1 hour ago, Chillywig said:

CK is in stock too. Not having to wait is nice. Wonder why shooters only has regular cmores on the guns they have? I'd think MRDs are all people want these days 

I noticed that too. It is the cheapest option but usually the first thing to go especially on a 9mm.

Both my buddy & I have 9mm CK open guns. Run great. I have DeltaPoint and he is running a Holosun.   Nothing wrong with a standard mount C-More. I don't care for the 2.5 MOA dot in the bright Texas sun and he has the circle dot & really doesn't care for it. He is going back to a standard side mount 8MOA C-more, that he is used to,  & I will eventually change to an C-More RTS 2.

gerritm

Keep in mind, unless you plan on keeping this gun forever, you are going to have to sell it. Certain builders' products retain value (much) better than others.  You will likely take a bigger beating percentage -wise if you go with a no name local builder vs. something like Infinity or Limcat (2 examples, plenty of others)

1 hour ago, Balakay said:

Keep in mind, unless you plan on keeping this gun forever, you are going to have to sell it. Certain builders' products retain value (much) better than others.  You will likely take a bigger beating percentage -wise if you go with a no name local builder vs. something like Infinity or Limcat (2 examples, plenty of others)

I agree with this^^^

but with that being said, I found that my local builder ( who puts out nothing but real quality products ) was willing to assemble the parts I brought him for a fraction of the cost of the big name builders. Also, if I were to have a issue with the gun he is 20 mins from my house and I wouldn't have to go without it for weeks on end or deal with shipping it to a FFL.   

just something to think on.  

On 2/19/2020 at 5:38 PM, WAlamo said:

Hi everyone.  Now that STI has left the competition gun market for the tactical market.  Which brand/maker of 2011 open guns that are about the same quality and cost of a DVC Open would you recommend?

Have you considered a PT Honcho custom order/raceshop build? Yes they are new the new kids on the block with a full pistol build but then I got to handle a couple of them and then watch them in action at matches.  Looking at their design,innovation, quality, features, price, versatility and lifetime warranty that's what drove me to have one on order right now.