Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CGW CZ-SP-01 Tactica vs CZ Shadow 2 in production and CO divisions

Hey guys, I bought a used SP-01 Tactical on a whim because i found a good deal a couple months ago for the purpose of putting the CGW full trigger kit in it for use in production division in USPSA, and to compete in IDPA (club 5 minutes from my house has practice every week and 1-2 matches a month so it’s convenient). Recently I saw that the shadow 2 is approved for USPSA production division, which makes it able to be used in CO as well, which I really enjoy shooting (currently shooting it with a G34). Also, with the milling primary machine does, the S2 becomes light enough to be used in idpa for CO as well from my understanding.

I could always just get another slide for the sp-01 as well and get that milled, but it’s actually easier to find extra slides for the shadow than for the sp-01 surprisingly and I haven’t been able to find a single slide for the sp-01.

So, with all of that said, which gun would be the better shooter? If I keep the sp-01 I will likely keep shooting my g34 in CO until I eventually find a slide replace for my sp-01 that I can have milled since I don’t want to mill the only slide I have, but if I get the shadow I’ll probably just order a milled slide from the start as long as their in stock. The difference in price isn’t a huge factor for me at this point, I’d rather just have the better shooting gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go with the shadow 2. I got mine milled by primary machine and love it. It took almost two weeks including shipping.

Heres a pic:
208-CE1-AB-4-A21-40-ED-A59-C-FE65-CEB25565.jpg

You sent them in your slide to have it machined, or you bought one of their extra slides and had them machine it?

1 hour ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

HCH, what’s your main reason behind that? Iv heard the trigger is better on sp-01 with the CGW, but with the extra weight the S2 is a little easier to shoot

Trigger will be better on the S2 due to no firing pin block. 

Plus it’s heavier. 

What do you guys think about the Fire 4 Effect builds? Sounds like they take a new stock S2, then mill it, install a RDS included at price below, refinish slide, and can even install the CGW pro trigger kit and bushing while they’re at it for about $2000-2100 (or more depending on optic and grips chosen.

Anyone heard anything about them? Seems like a pretty good deal for what they’re offering, correct me if I’m wrong.

http://www.fire-4-effect.com/CZ-SHADOW-2-CARRY-OPTICS-BUILD_p_260.html

If you send a S2 slide to CZC for a CO cut ($370) you're still in it for less than the F4E cost by a good bit. If you do the CO cut, you're out of Production with that slide; though you can do some tricks to make it Production legal and CO legal (other ways for reducing weight, like guide rod, grips, etc.) for interchanging between divisions. I would personally pick a division and shoot it. If you really don't care about $, just get a second slide for the S2 from primary machining and slap a RDS on it.

If you send a S2 slide to CZC for a CO cut ($370) you're still in it for less than the F4E cost by a good bit. If you do the CO cut, you're out of Production with that slide; though you can do some tricks to make it Production legal and CO legal (other ways for reducing weight, like guide rod, grips, etc.) for interchanging between divisions. I would personally pick a division and shoot it. If you really don't care about $, just get a second slide for the S2 from primary machining and slap a RDS on it.

So I did end up going the F4E route, as you said, I picked carry optics as I enjoy shooting guns with red dots.

When I did the math, I got it to come out ~$150 cheaper going through them rather than piecing everything together. If you didn’t plan on putting the CGW trigger in, then it would be slightly cheaper to put it together yourself, but with all things equal the F4E was slightly cheaper. And That was using $1100 for the S2 to start, which was a deal from CZC yesterday, and the cheapest iv ever seen one, however I did not look at sale prices for other options like the DPP which I’m sure you could find on sale to reduce the gap a little bit.

Now I just have to make it through the ~6 week wait time for them to put the gun together haha