Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson bullet proof extractor 9/38S for 40

Makicjf

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Jason, you bend the extractor so that when the round slides up and under the hook, the extractor is pushed slightly to the right.  At that point the edge of the hook should be in contact with the case in the extractor groove.  At that point the edge of the rim should just touch, or be about 1 or 2 thou away from C.  If you can't get there with additional bending, remove material from E until you can.

Thanks!

JAson

12 hours ago, Makicjf said:

After reading through the encyclopedia of knowledge here, I had come to the thought that you stated ;" his 40 cal extractor setup is sounds like the pinch depth is too deep".  I put the original extractor back in and the feed cycle is smooth.  The factory extractor doesn't have a tensioning pad, but appears to simply rely upon the bend for tension.  

Can I reduce the claw height to change the pinch depth, or am I misunderstanding the suspected differential diagnosis?

Thanks for all the input, though most of it is over my head!

Jason

This sounds like you have to add material to the pad in order to reduce the pinch depth. This can easily be done with a TIG welder. But as I said before, this level of “fiddling” is usually well beyond the average gun owner. If you can’t figure it out on your own then get it to a gunsmith who can.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I don't have access to a tig welder, but I did have another extractor. The tensioning pad on the first extractor was .117.  The second extractor measured .122 on the pad. I polished the lower corner and slightly rounded the hook. It was just a touch tight for feed. 

I bent the hook out a touch and it's working. I ran 10 through limp grip no mag and it ejected them all. I then ran 5 mags (125 rounds) without a hitch.

I'm about to run another 50 just to be sure.

Thanks to everyone for the lessons and the help.

Jason

Last 21 rounds of just over 200 from 25 yards on a C target. The Philippine Pig Iron is running!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3753773671314286&id=100000450700624

On 2/21/2020 at 11:15 PM, CHA-LEE said:

This sounds like you have to add material to the pad in order to reduce the pinch depth. This can easily be done with a TIG welder. But as I said before, this level of “fiddling” is usually well beyond the average gun owner. If you can’t figure it out on your own then get it to a gunsmith who can.

Edited by Makicjf