Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best PCC barrel length


Recommended Posts

Hello,

I know it can be an frequent topic but i searched on this forum and i found nothing about it.

I have to build a new PCC for IPSC competition and i wonder to know if someone did some test to determine what is the best barrel length in term of flatness and less dot bouncing.

I'm not living in the US so no problems with SBR and no need to put on any barrel extension,i'm also not afraid to use a 13in handguard with a 8in barrel for example.

Currently i own a 16 inch with blitzkrieg,i also tried a 12,5in of a friend,same configuration and the 12,5 is much flatter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Link to comment

A shop/gunsmith not too far from me in Finland has been developing PCCs and has ended up with 12 or 13 inch barrels, with compensator.

He says that compensator is enough if you load so that you have gas for the comp - but a  barrel that is also ported is better with factory ammo.

 

He has an expensive model that is gas operated, and a more conventional PCC action with a bit less money. Search for uronenprecision.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, perttime said:

A shop/gunsmith not too far from me in Finland has been developing PCCs and has ended up with 12 or 13 inch barrels, with compensator.

He says that compensator is enough if you load so that you have gas for the comp - but a  barrel that is also ported is better with factory ammo.

 

He has an expensive model that is gas operated, and a more conventional PCC action with a bit less money. Search for uronenprecision.

Nice idea but i found only a delayed blowback not gas operated.

Link to comment

Here at TACCOM....we've found that a 5.25" has such a fast impulse that a brake really does not show any improvement on dot bounce and Getting the recoil system set does more than a brake does for felt recoil.....and to that end, we've kept with that length barrel for the 16" UWL barrels.

 

We've since come out with a 1016 barrel and a 1316 barrel......10" and 13" respectively with pinned and welded brakes to make them 16" legal. It appears that the optimal length for the brake to work for least amount of dot bounce is in that range.....giving the nod to the 10" length. The problem with a 10" barrel/brake is hand guard length. We've been able to fashion our Carbon Fiber Hand guard to 11", but some like it longer than that. The 1316 barrel allows for a 13" carbon fiber hand guard, which is only 1" shorter than our standard 14" hand guard.

 

Overall.....both of the new barrels have been able to use the gas much more efficiently than a 16" or even our older 14.5" barrels that we've had in the past. 

 

If you look up '9mm by the inch'......you will see that velocity loss in a 10" or 13" barrel is insignicant. And to be honest, there really isn't much lost in a 5.25" barrel either....like maybe 100fps and that for the most part is the same hold over at just about any distance out to 100yds.

Link to comment
23 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

Here at TACCOM....we've found that a 5.25" has such a fast impulse that a brake really does not show any improvement on dot bounce and Getting the recoil system set does more than a brake does for felt recoil.....and to that end, we've kept with that length barrel for the 16" UWL barrels.

 

We've since come out with a 1016 barrel and a 1316 barrel......10" and 13" respectively with pinned and welded brakes to make them 16" legal. It appears that the optimal length for the brake to work for least amount of dot bounce is in that range.....giving the nod to the 10" length. The problem with a 10" barrel/brake is hand guard length. We've been able to fashion our Carbon Fiber Hand guard to 11", but some like it longer than that. The 1316 barrel allows for a 13" carbon fiber hand guard, which is only 1" shorter than our standard 14" hand guard.

 

Overall.....both of the new barrels have been able to use the gas much more efficiently than a 16" or even our older 14.5" barrels that we've had in the past. 

 

If you look up '9mm by the inch'......you will see that velocity loss in a 10" or 13" barrel is insignicant. And to be honest, there really isn't much lost in a 5.25" barrel either....like maybe 100fps and that for the most part is the same hold over at just about any distance out to 100yds.

Thanks for your golden reply!So if i understand well 10.5 is the best if you like the short handguard?

Link to comment
19 minutes ago, simon92g said:

Thanks for your golden reply!So if i understand well 10.5 is the best if you like the short handguard?

Well....our's is 10", but yes. I have had some customers put a longer aluminum HG on.....not sure if they put any shields in place or not.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, simon92g said:

My only concearn is because i've heard that IPSC wants to set a minimum barrel length...

So unless they do something really stupid.....which they have been known to do A LOT.......our 1016 barrel IS 16"......it's just a 10" barrel with a pinned and welded muzzle brake that makes it a legal 16" rifle barrel in the USA. 

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

So unless they do something really stupid.....which they have been known to do A LOT.......our 1016 barrel IS 16"......it's just a 10" barrel with a pinned and welded muzzle brake that makes it a legal 16" rifle barrel in the USA. 

Yes,i hope that they will accept barrel extension as a real barrel...but i would prefer to use the short barrel without extension to have a more maneuverable rifle inside close stages...

Link to comment

People in my corner of Europe have just got enthusiastic about cutting barrels down to 12". Revised legislation.... Barrel length limit would also eliminate the conversions like the Roni, that people like to use for trying the Division, and for reducing the number of Firearms Permits they need.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, perttime said:

People in my corner of Europe have just got enthusiastic about cutting barrels down to 12". Revised legislation.... Barrel length limit would also eliminate the conversions like the Roni, that people like to use for trying the Division, and for reducing the number of Firearms Permits they need.

I agree...i think it would be a very stupid limitation...

Link to comment
1 minute ago, perttime said:

Looks like the upcoming PCC World Shoot in USA will have a limit. US legislation is cumbersome if you want less than 16"

Yes of course if we have to go for a match in the US we have to comply their rules but it' just makes no sense to ask the whole world to respect this rule...

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, perttime said:

I got a couple of responses in the facebook letstalkipsc group. Looks like the barrel length thing is only about local legislation at the World Shoot. Unless there's something local going on in your Region.

Let's hope it will be true...

Link to comment
14 hours ago, TRUBL said:

So unless they do something really stupid.....which they have been known to do A LOT.......our 1016 barrel IS 16"......it's just a 10" barrel with a pinned and welded muzzle brake that makes it a legal 16" rifle barrel in the USA. 

 

I really wish people would stop saying legal 16".  This gives the false impression that under 16"s is illegal.  The correct term would be 'makes it a non NFA 16" rifle barrel in the USA.'

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, lcambre said:

 

I really wish people would stop saying legal 16".  This gives the false impression that under 16"s is illegal.  The correct term would be 'makes it a non NFA 16" rifle barrel in the USA.'

Is it legal for PCC world shoot 2021 if i use a 11.5inch barrel with no barrel extension but instead of a buttstock i use a pistol brace?

Link to comment

IPSC Rules say:

5.1.10 The firearm must be fitted with a stock ...

Whether a brace is a stock is debatable.

Will US Government authorities look at what it is, or what your paperwork says?

 

If I were going, I'd want official confirmation on what I can bring. Forum discussion is just forum discussion.

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, perttime said:

IPSC Rules say:

5.1.10 The firearm must be fitted with a stock ...

Whether a brace is a stock is debatable.

Will US Government authorities look at what it is, or what your paperwork says?

 

If I were going, I'd want official confirmation on what I can bring. Forum discussion is just forum discussion.

I'm pretty sure it wolud be fine for ATF but i'm not sure about the IPSC USPSA rules...

Link to comment
3 hours ago, lcambre said:

 

I really wish people would stop saying legal 16".  This gives the false impression that under 16"s is illegal.  The correct term would be 'makes it a non NFA 16" rifle barrel in the USA.'

Interesting. When the ATF talks under 16".....for a rifle, it IS illegal, unless you have the SBR Stamp. Where as the ATF rules state that an extension (making the barrel 16" long)  that is pinned/covered welded, is a legal 16" barrel. But I sorta get what you are saying......none the less, our 1016 and 1316 are legal 16" barrels in the eyes of the ATF, I see no reason to change my statements  :) . ANd the reason we do this is to make barrels that do not need special stamps, yet give the best preformance for the 9mm round in terms of recoil reduction and dot bounce. As for IPSC.....they get to determine what ever they want, their game, their rules, they tend to do what they see fit.

 

You do bring up a point.

Edited by TRUBL
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...