Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are aftec extractors worth it?

nhyrum

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two oldest ran forever.  I changed the springs every three years, just because.  I have an old style in one of my newest Open guns now.  10k without issues.  I ordered another to put in my second new gun and had to send it back because it was so short the hook just barely made it out of the tunnel.  The replacement was better, but still no good.  So I put an EGW in and fitted another to the Aftec gun in case that goes south.

Hello: So I have two Aftec extractors that are new. They are both marked 9mm 38SC. Here is a pic of both of them. So which one is correct? I been having lots of problems with my new build using a Aftec extractor. I think I have the wrong one in my open pistol. I have done everything I know on how to make it work and it just is not working for me. The old Aftec's worked great but the new one I have is not giving me the warm and fuzzies. Going to try a standard extractor once it stops raining here. Let me know what you think about the ones in the pic. Thanks, Eric

IMG_3364.jpg

Definitely different. Bottom one appears to be a better piece. More beef on the hook, better beveling to facilitate transitions and help prevent cracking, etc. Top looks like a completely machined piece, bottom looks to have been touched up by hand. Maybe it's the shadows or the beveling but the top one looks like it's taller for a bigger case.

Go back to basics and check for proper tension, hook distance, back of hook shape (where it fits into case rim waist) and ease of transition as the case moves from magazine to breech face. Even Aftecs sometimes need a tweak or some stone work, but if it's a new one I'd just send it back if it's causing too many problems. Damned things are too expensive to go grinding on and risk buggering the thing when it's supposed to just work.

Hello: Neither one has been messed with and are new. The one that I have been using I have done all the tricks I know how to do and even bent it a little in a vice. It is just not right at all. I am going to try a Caspian that I installed and see how it does. The bottom Aftec has a smaller hook and is not as deep and I think it is the correct one for 9mm but I am not 100% sure. I will have to dig out one of my old pistols to see which one is correct for 9mm. Thanks, Eric

13 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: So I have two Aftec extractors that are new. They are both marked 9mm 38SC. Here is a pic of both of them. So which one is correct? I been having lots of problems with my new build using a Aftec extractor. I think I have the wrong one in my open pistol. I have done everything I know on how to make it work and it just is not working for me. The old Aftec's worked great but the new one I have is not giving me the warm and fuzzies. Going to try a standard extractor once it stops raining here. Let me know what you think about the ones in the pic. Thanks, Eric

IMG_3364.jpg

Wow.  There's a huge variance in just about every dimension on those.  And neither looks to be correct for 9/38, at least in terms of size and shape.  I'd say both require considerable tuning for a correct setup.

Hello: I found an old Aftec in my spares case. It is about 8 years old and is different than both of these. I know it works since it was used in my old open pistol for about 2,000 rounds to make sure it works and would be a good spare. It looks closer to the top one but is cut more like the bottom one but has a taller hook on it. Going to test the Caspian tomorrow and see how it does. After that I think I will try an EGW one since I really like the parts they make. Hope this is helping some others that maybe having some problems. Thanks, Eric

• 3 years later...

From what I’ve been told they are not producing the 9/38sc extractor until further notice. There definitely has been issues with them lately. I’ve switched to the EGW HD without the slot cut for the firing pin stop. I like to cut my own with the proper measurements. 

On 6/2/2023 at 7:11 PM, donnyglock said:

I’ve switched to the EGW HD without the slot cut for the firing pin stop. I like to cut my own with the proper measurements. 

When you do that, do you leave it 9/40 or make it 9 specific?

9 minutes ago, zzt said:

When you do that, do you leave it 9/40 or make it 9 specific?

The 9/40 with the slot cut is a little long and the hook hits the case instead of the groove. Not a huge deal on minor guns but open guns I like them perfect. So I measure and cut the slot myself to shorten that dimension so that the hook rests in the case groove. 

5 hours ago, donnyglock said:

The 9/40 with the slot cut is a little long and the hook hits the case instead of the groove. Not a huge deal on minor guns but open guns I like them perfect. So I measure and cut the slot myself to shorten that dimension so that the hook rests in the case groove. 

Thanks.  When Atlas was selling their shortened, 9mm only EGW HD extractors, I bought a bunch for exactly the same reason.  I'm down to my last one now, and wondering what I'm going to do.  I don't have the capability to cut my own slot.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

Thanks.  When Atlas was selling their shortened, 9mm only EGW HD extractors, I bought a bunch for exactly the same reason.  I'm down to my last one now, and wondering what I'm going to do.  I don't have the capability to cut my own slot.

I’m sure the atlas extractor is still the same dimensions. They primarily build 9mm’s so I’m sure the specs are good. 

On 6/2/2023 at 3:24 PM, GrumpyOne said:

I'm assuming that you are looking for 9mm?

https://www.doubletapsports.com/aftec/aftec-38-sc-9mm-extractor

I make no claim as to the validity of the company, as I have never done business with them.

Bought some items from them a year ago. They are based in Canada, so the prices are in CA$. Shipping was reasonable.

Mark S.

14 hours ago, donnyglock said:

I’m sure the atlas extractor is still the same dimensions. They primarily build 9mm’s so I’m sure the specs are good. 

The new one is not HD.

20 hours ago, zzt said:

Do you have a friend with a mill?

You could buy the Harrison Design slot cutting fixture and a no slot EGW HD extractor for a few bucks more than the Atlas extractor.

I’ve also had to re-profile the nose of the EGW HD 9mm extractor to avoid contact with the case bevel. 

20 hours ago, Cam73 said:

You could buy the Harrison Design slot cutting fixture and a no slot EGW HD extractor for a few bucks more than the Atlas extractor.

I may end up doing exactly that.  Buy the fixture and have a friend mill me a half dozen at a time.

I talked to George at EGW yesterday.  He is willing to reproduce what he did for Atlas for a 50 piece order.  Normal pricing and dealer discount.  I'm going to talk it up locally to see if there is any interest.  If not, I'll buy the fixture.