Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeking advice-Corrosion in new 929

Alleycatdad

Picked up my new 929 and headed to the range.

Good news is, it's a pretty good shooter.  We aren't currently reloading, so this was a concern.  Accuracy with factory rounds is acceptable for USPSA and the local wildcat matches, so that's good.  It's reliable with factory rounds as well, even with the strain screw a half turn out (as it was delivered....).

Brought it home and started pulling it apart to go through the trigger.  Stock trigger pull was gritty and right at 11.5 lbs (with the strain screw fully tight).  Not a terrible starting point but clearly can be improved....

Pulled the sideplate and internals to find that the entire interior of the frame is coated in rust.  Brand new gun.  Pics attached.  It's clearly been there since assembly, as it is under the rebound slide.  

Return it to the dealer?--He'd take it back.

Problem is, I'm in California and don't want to wait 20 days before I can start the DROS on another one, which could be worse than this one.  I'm not excited about sending it back for weeks at the factory, either.  

I don't see any really significant pitting in any critical areas, and I'm pretty sure this can be cleaned up with some effort.  I knew that the gun would be a project when I ordered it, just cause these days they're ALL just starting points, and this isn't a rant.

So, how would you go about it?  000 Steel wool and CLP?  Scotchbrite?  Obviously, non-contact areas can be cleaned pretty aggressively.  Short of sending it back, what would you do?

Thanks!

Steve

Ok, cant attach photos.  Links here:  https://alleycatdad.zenfolio.com/p513707441/ee42bf5b9

https://alleycatdad.zenfolio.com/p513707441/ee42bf5e2

https://alleycatdad.zenfolio.com/p513707441/ee42bf74a

Photos dont work, asking for a log in.

Personally, as long as there is not any major pitting - I'd just clean it up with some sand paper during the action job and call it a day.

I'd use some 400/600/800 grit to clean up along with a cleaning solution, and oil it well afterwards.

High humidity & lack of WD-40 or other anti humidity product.

I bought 2 of these 9MM and tell out of love quickly & sold them both. Still have my 2 627s since 1997 running strong with 38 Colt Short.

One gun has 120K+ have not replaced any parts but did add a +.00015 firing pin, Wolff Cylinder latch, & fiber optic front sight.

2 hours ago, Alleycatdad said:

Well, since I already recrowned it, I'm thinking that decision is made.  I appreciate all the feedback!

And, hey, improving that particular trigger pull-getting the rust out from under the rebound slide-should be a walk in the park!

SA

If you know enough to re crown the barrel, you probably know enough to clean it up?

Clean first with chemicals (CLP, Hoppes, etc NOT wd-40 as it leaves a shellac coating on things) if the rust doesn't come out lightly scrub with steel wool, then Oil with a good quality oil.  Should be fine.  Remember Stainless is Rust Resistant NOT Rust Proof!

• 2 weeks later...

Likewise I purchased a brand new S&W PC 929 revolver.  I also looked under the hood and saw rust and some minor pitting.  I sent it back to S&W so they can be aware of the poor quality that is coming from their PC line, and provide them an opportunity to fix the revolver and address their quality issues.  The revolver is due back this week.  Hopefully I will get it back better than new, because their new was not good enough.

1 hour ago, QualityGuru said:

Likewise I purchased a brand new S&W PC 929 revolver.  I also looked under the hood and saw rust and some minor pitting.  I sent it back to S&W so they can be aware of the poor quality that is coming from their PC line, and provide them an opportunity to fix the revolver and address their quality issues.  The revolver is due back this week.  Hopefully I will get it back better than new, because their new was not good enough.

Please keep us updated on this. Still a shame that their best of the best is no better than this.

21 hours ago, Distant Thunder said:

Please keep us updated on this. Still a shame that their best of the best is no better than this.

Agreed.  Mine cleaned up OK and shoots pretty well....still annoying that the sight has to be waaay left to hit anything (clocked barrel), but the rust is gone.  

SA

• 1 year later...

Just an update since it has been a while since I took S&W 929 to the range.  After getting it back I was so disappointed in the Performance Center aspect of the revolver that I knew that I had been had by the S&W PC moniker.  I sent the revolver for a tune and trigger job to Pinnacle High Performance that is a one man custom pistol smith shop.  I was blown away on how well the action and how light my trigger was after I got it back.  The work was around 100 dollars so I thought it was a barging.  The shipping did cost near another 100, but I was totally satisfied.  I also ended up putting in an extended striker pin to prevent any light primer strikes since I use Polymer moon clips.

Edited by QualityGuru

12 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I'm convinced PC just means its a smaller production run gun than the regular guns, that's it no special attention just they made less of them and etched PC on the frame and shipped it in a nicer box. 

I don't think that they are nicer boxes any more, blue plastic vs gray plastic. No metal cases or wood presentation boxes just plain old plastic.

11 hours ago, mchapman said:

I don't think that they are nicer boxes any more, blue plastic vs gray plastic. No metal cases or wood presentation boxes just plain old plastic.

Have a 29-3 and the original Wood Presentation Case and I bought it used!