Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 9mm load for stock Glock 34

mhw980

I'm about to get into reloading my own ammunition and am trying to find the best load that will work in my stock 34 without changing any of the internals.  Mainly concerned about the different bullet weights and types of powder, I've only ever shot factory 115 gr and 147 gr from CCI Blazer, which work fine, but I'd like to have good accuracy and better felt recoil while still making minor PF for USPSA.

I have a Gucci Gen 3 with a Agency Arms Barrel. So it’s not apples to apples but after years of trying different loads, my most accurate load in almost all my 9MM’s across the board is:

4.3-4.4 grs TG with RMR MiniMatch Winner 115 FMJ seated to 1.090”

Or

4.6-4.7 grs HP38/W231 with same bullet same COAL.

Gives me 1170ish FPS out of stock length barrel.

In the 124 JHP it’s 3.9 grs of TG or 4.3 grs of HP38/W231 seated to 1.100”. Yields just under 1080 FPS give it take.

I’m the 147 gr plated round nose it’s 3.4-3.5 grs TG seated to 1.135”. Yields 960ish FPS. 147 FMJ and JHP need a little more powder to reach same velocity and give acceptable accuracy.

I have good luck with 124’s as well, but just not as good as with the 115’s. Same story with RMR PRN 147’s. They’re good but the 115’s are better.

I’ve found I need to push the 124’s up into 145-150 Power Factor range to squeeze the same performance out of them that I get with 115’s in the 135ish PF range.

Also tried every COAL under the sun. As general rule of thumb unless you running some platform that needs it shorter is better. Another guy this forum, Daryl, did an extensive research project on COAL and found shorter was typically better as well. At least in plastic service type pistols.

Same holds true for the 135ish Power Factor. Of course nothing is true 100% of the time but usually that power factor range is where you will find optimum accuracy and performance.

BTW Titegroup is one of the dirtiest powders ever. HP38/W231 is better but still dirty. They are both tried and tested powders and they work great, but man do they foul up your guns.

When I run out I’m going to try some of that Shooters World Powder. I hear it’s much clearer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe there is a "best" load.  There are so many choices in bullet types, weights, powders.  For games where PF matters, if you want reduced recoil, you probably want heavier than 115gr.  I started with 125gr, then shot 147gr for a while, and have now compromised on 135gr.

I agree there may not be a best load, but how about a best OAL for loads in a 9mm Glock. Or possibly an OAL range that yields the most reliability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same issue. “Best OAL” is highly dependent on the bullet and to some degree the barrel or barrels it needs to work in.

The best/easiest bullet for finding OACL will be a .355" jacketed. Midway USA sells the WIN 147 gr. JHP at a VERY good price. It could be used for Minor PF comp loads as well as defense loads. I wrote an article for the Western Powders blog that should help in finding OACL for a specific bullet to be fired from a specific pistol. Something that should be done with any new bullet you try. https://blog.westernpowders.com/2015/11/important-steps-for-autoloading-cartridge-success/ 😉

All of the recommendations are good starting points, but the only way you will find the “best” load is to learn how to “plunk” your test loads, get a chronograph, and then tune the powder charge for accuracy at the longest distance you expect to shoot (for many that’s 20-25 yards).

While close all of my guns, even the same model, shoot slightly different. I found many bullets like higher velocities (greater than 130pf) for accuracy.

Once you find what you like just stick with that load formula and load away. 

They day you show up to the Chrono stage with someone else’s load and fail to meet PF will be a bad day.