Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Super GP 100 Holster

revoman

2 hours ago, mchapman said:

Dean, my old Bladetech for a 6 inch works as well as my old Safariland 02 on my 6 inch GP 100's how much different is the Super?

Super GP100 has an 8-shot cylinder in Redhawk sized frame.

My GUESSTIMATE: many N-frame size holsters will work.

I have not received it yet as I just ordered it on Saturday. I figured that since Ruger is our major sponsor in ICORE I needed to own one. At least that is what I told my wife. I was hoping to hear from anyone who has been shooting one to chime in. 
I am hopeful that maybe with a little or no fitting that I will be able to use my DAA that I use for my N-frame S&W. I will let you all know what I come up with once I have it in hand. 

Dean

So far I have used 2 holsters for my Super GP100 

It fits nicely in my wife's Hoppner Schumann Speed sec 5 for a Smith revo, its a great holster but as best I can tell unavaliable in the states and she wont give it up.

So I bough a Speed Beez competition holster for it and it works great, draws just as good as a race holster but with kydex ease of use, the only complaint if you can call it that is the drop offset bracket and belt attachment are not as solid as the aluminum Springer hangers I have on some other holsters, but you cant expect a $60 hanger on a $73 holster and its easy enough to add if you want.

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

So far I have used 2 holsters for my Super GP100 

It fits nicely in my wife's Hoppner Schumann Speed sec 5 for a Smith revo, its a great holster but as best I can tell unavaliable in the states and she wont give it up.

Höppner und Schumann holsters are widely available here in Europe. My usual place for holsters and stuff has recently been sportshooter.de. They seem to have a few Höppner und Schumann Speed sec 5 models in stock now. Descriptions say they fit S&W K, L and N frame revolvers.

https://www.sportshooter.de/en/equipment/holsters/for_revolver-0130.html

USA is in their list of countries where they deliver. Better ask directly, if you have questions. Shipping cost doesn't look all that bad if you order a few items, and they still seem to have their discount promotion running: "If your order includes a holster, a belt and a magazine or speedloader holder, we will give you a 10% discount on the entire order, including all other products included in this order except any products from the manufacturer Dillon."

Edited by perttime

1 hour ago, perttime said:

Höppner und Schumann holsters are widely available here in Europe. My usual place for holsters and stuff has recently been sportshooter.de. They seem to have a few Höppner und Schumann Speed sec 5 models in stock now. Descriptions say they fit S&W K, L and N frame revolvers.

https://www.sportshooter.de/en/equipment/holsters/for_revolver-0130.html

USA is in their list of countries where they deliver. Better ask directly, if you have questions. Shipping cost doesn't look all that bad if you order a few items, and they still seem to have their discount promotion running: "If your order includes a holster, a belt and a magazine or speedloader holder, we will give you a 10% discount on the entire order, including all other products included in this order except any products from the manufacturer Dillon."

Cool thanks,

The speed sec 5 is by far the easiest race holster to draw from I have ever used. 

Oh, I have no idea what kind of costs US Customs might add to the cost at your end, if any.

edit:

Their pricing includes 19% German VAT. I BELIEVE that should be removed when they sell outside EU. Better check - unless their shopping cart removes it automatically???

Edited by perttime

I got Super GP100 just a week or two ago. It fits DAA Race Master with the N-Frame insert perfectly. There is a bit of rotation possible because of the round trigger guard, but it’s about the same as with 929. I have the muzzle support assembly for that reason...

18 hours ago, IVC said:

I got Super GP100 just a week or two ago. It fits DAA Race Master with the N-Frame insert perfectly. There is a bit of rotation possible because of the round trigger guard, but it’s about the same as with 929. I have the muzzle support assembly for that reason...

That is good to know as I did not want to buy a new holster

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, revoman said:

DAA Race Master N frame fit perfect. Now to try and get the trigger lighter. It is pretty smooth out of the box but at double action buried my trigger scale so well over 12 lbs. ☹️

Wholly crap. I figured Ruger would have the d.a. more reasonable out of the box on a competition gun that expensive. 

Interested to see what you can get to with federal primers. 

As far as price I got lucky as I had been looking for awhile. Cheapest I could find was $1050 + shipping. Looked on Buds Guns on February 16 and $981 + free shipping. I was showing some on February 17 what I had ordered and the price had jumped to $1151 and free shipping. Good thing I have a very understanding wife and she let me order that day. Early birthday present to me even though my birthday is not till May. 😁

47 minutes ago, CMason5859 said:

I replaced the springs in mine

The hammer is already shimmed from the factory.

Trigger pull is much better but I am going to try polishing everything as well.

What springs did you use and what pounds were they? What it the weight on the trigger now?

I had a pack of Wolf reduced power springs for a GP100 /SP101.

The rebound was an 8lb and the main spring was a 9lb.

I haven't measured it yet but it is higher than my 929, so I am going to guess around 7lb.

I have watched the M*carbo video a couple of times, I am going to try it as well.

I still need to bob the hammer too.

I did the Mcarbo treatment to a GP100 10 mm match champion.

Stock D.a. Pull was about 10.2 pounds.

With their trigger and hammer springs d.a. Pull dropped to about 7.5 #.

With oem hammer spring back in pull went up to about 9#. 

Have a lot of 40 caliber rounds loaded to get rid of , will play with federals and lower weight hammer springs afterwards. With TK clips and Winchester primers lighting off 40 rounds was inconsistent. 

To me it appeared that the trigger spring they sent was about 0.25" too long for my gun, this seemed confirmed by watching the install video. Will play with a different spring in the near future. There were other small differences between my gun and the "generic GP100" in the video but the trigger spring is the only thing that seemed like it might be wrong. 

I did all of the polishing but I am not convinced that I would'nt have been just as well off simply changing springs and then doing 1000 snaps in dry fire. 

With the Wolff 9lb main and 8lb return springs mine is right at 6.75 lb pull, I tried clipping 1.5 coils on one of the 9lb springs and that got me 6.5 lb and a couple light strikes, so I am back to the full 9lb main spring. 

All federal primes of course, not hand seated, just as they come off my LNL,

for a reference point my wife's 627 V-Comp is at 5.75lb with apex hammer  and is 100% with this ammo. 

I did an action job on my 6 shot GP100 using the lightest springs in the kit.  It came out at 6.5 lbs but feels lighter than that.  Haven't had a misfire yet either.  Even shot it in a classifier match Sunday.

In the IPSC Revolver group on FB, it was mentioned that the travel of a Ruger trigger is longer than necessary.

Apparently, it is quite possible to reduce the travel, which is good for speed. I didn't notice specific technical details on that.

9 hours ago, perttime said:

In the IPSC Revolver group on FB, it was mentioned that the travel of a Ruger trigger is longer than necessary.

Apparently, it is quite possible to reduce the travel, which is good for speed. I didn't notice specific technical details on that.

The trigger travel is for sure longer than a Smith, I would be very interested to see how someone shortens that