Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to decide when to get a bullet feeder

Hey guys, I bought the Hornady bullet feeder system a while ago and couldn’t get it to work with my coated bullets to save my life so I put it away for a while. Finally started loading some plated bullets again, which made me realize how easier loading is with the bullet feeder on the press. However, the Hornady bullet feeder still had a couple of different problems so I started looking at the Mr Bullet Feeder and was blown away with how much they cost. So, at what point were you guys able to justify a $450 bullet feeder and another $150 for conversions. That amount of money seems crazy to me for a bullet feeder. Are they really that nice?

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

I’m loading on a 650 if that matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much do you load? How many times do you want to actuate the handle? If you're comfortable with your output and you're easily meeting your requirements then the bullet feeder probably isn't for you. If you're just wondering why it costs more than the Horandy feeder that's because it actually works (for the most part).

P.S. If the price shocks you it probably means you don't need one (yet).

Edited by 4n2t0

How much do you load? How many times do you want to actuate the handle? If you're comfortable with your output and you're easily meeting your requirements then the bullet feeder probably isn't for you. If you're just wondering why it costs more than the Horandy feeder that's because it actually works (for the most part).

P.S. If the price shocks you it probably means you don't need one (yet).

Well I wasn’t really even thinking about it until I got that Hornady one back out and saw the potential of what a bullet feeder that works could do. I probably load about 10k rounds of 9mm a year, so nothing super crazy. But I also have a decent amount of free time right now so getting the absolute maximum rounds per hour isn’t totally necessary, but I think the convenience alone would be worth it in the long run. It just seems like a lot of money for what seems like a convenience item at this point

For years I thought it was a crazy amount of money - until I got one six months ago. I find it to be quite a bit faster but, as you mentioned, the convenience alone is worth it. I would get tired/bored after 200 to 300 rounds. Now I'll crank out 500 in one session without a problem.

I moved from a Dillon 550 to a 650 and figured I'd be happy with just not having to turn the turret.  Well,  then went on the casefeeder for a few years which was fine for the amount I load,  then eventually got tired of having to place the bullet so on went on the Mr. bullet feeder.  Worth every damn penny.  So now,  loading up the primer tubes is the time consuming portion and I just load up 4 tubes ahead of time and then it's 45min of just pulling the handle and keeping the feeders full.!!

Thanks for the advice guys. At this point I may just keep rolling with what I have until I get too tired of it. Just seems like a lot of money for convenience. Depending on how much I shoot USPSA this year (trying to make it to more matches and practice more this year) maybe I’ll look at one. Iv been trying to load up in order to not need to worry about it too much during the summer.

I guess I was looking to see if it dramatically increased output, or if it was more just a convenience thing.

I bought one last fall and I would say buy one NOW. 

I have had a problem recently but was easily corrected. 

For me it is worth the money. It might not speed up my loading but it makes it so all I have to do is pull the handle. 

I am looking for a faster way to load primer tubes. 

Edited by Jsjac
Correct spelling

just like buying a progressive press a bullet feeder will end up costing you more money. You'll load more, in a shorter period of time. So, take that into consideration. If you are able to shoot more, it will definitely cost you more in the long run, but, you'll be shooting more, so....

For me, one of the worst things about reloading was having to handle and place each projectile. Gets really old in the cold months in the garage.  I still don't have my BFF working 100% and it's already twice a fast as without one.  Part of my problem is that I load a lot in a weekend and won't touch it for months.  I need to start loading a few hundred rounds every week, just to keep it all fresh in my mind.

All that said, get a bullet feeder and a can of patience.

I was thinking about one for a while, but the price like you said.  They I purchased a 3D printed one. A little tweaking on it being printed. But otherwise it’s great.  I got the 233,308,9mm and 40 cal for a lot less then the Mr. Bulletfeeder  7754F716-CC77-43CD-BD81-E3180D20AD5C.jpeg.ee945aeadd6dbfda5d5a499d7060eaf1.jpeg

Do it. Its a very little time savings, but the amount of hand cramping it will save is amazing.  I used to load 200 and be thankful to go load primer tubes to break it up. Then I got MR BF and extra tubes(5 big and 5 Small) with primer tube filler. Now I sit down and crank out 1000 in under an hour with no problem. 

It was a good summer last year I jumped from a 550 to a 650 with case and bullet feeder.

I was thinking about one for a while, but the price like you said.  They I purchased a 3D printed one. A little tweaking on it being printed. But otherwise it’s great.  I got the 233,308,9mm and 40 cal for a lot less then the Mr. Bulletfeeder  7754F716-CC77-43CD-BD81-E3180D20AD5C.jpeg.ee945aeadd6dbfda5d5a499d7060eaf1.jpeg

Where did you get this? How long have you had it?

28 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Where did you get this? How long have you had it?

I just got it Saturday from a guy on Facebook by the name of Karl Bibb.  I already loaded up about 500 rounds of 223.  He has been making them for a while now.  

On 2/17/2020 at 6:08 PM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Thanks for the advice guys. At this point I may just keep rolling with what I have until I get too tired of it. Just seems like a lot of money for convenience. Depending on how much I shoot USPSA this year (trying to make it to more matches and practice more this year) maybe I’ll look at one. Iv been trying to load up in order to not need to worry about it too much during the summer.

I guess I was looking to see if it dramatically increased output, or if it was more just a convenience thing.

Depending how long you want to wait, you can watch for deals from DAA. They seem to have a sale around all of the holidays. I think Black Friday they typically have a deal for like 15ish% off. May be worth picking up on one of the sales as that would knock down the price.

Save money on rf 100 and get the Frankford arsenal. its $40 and you can just hold your dillon tube under it. its faster than the rf100 but you need to have your hands on it.

then get the BF

The vibra prime isnt so much finicky as it works at a specif angle and feed. As long as you dont clog the drop area it works perfectly.

If you take the piece off your dillon tube and shove that in the vibra prime and hold it centered it works fine. You can fill 6 tubes in  under 2 minutes

1 hour ago, m700 said:

The vibra prime isnt so much finicky as it works at a specif angle and feed. As long as you dont clog the drop area it works perfectly.

If you take the piece off your dillon tube and shove that in the vibra prime and hold it centered it works fine. You can fill 6 tubes in  under 2 minutes

I have one, I know all the tricks, it's still finicky. Nothing's perfect but I'm willing to put up with its shortcomings because of the price point.