Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which bit for a S&W627 side plate?

S&W627shooter

I had to take the side plate off my revolver to replace a broken firing pin at a match the other day, and the only bit in the small Wheeler screwdriver kit in my range bag that would fit the screw bent under pressure.  I had to borrow someone's bit.  Does anyone know exactly which bit I should get for the side plate screws on a S&W revolver?

Thank you,

Chris

To do it proper, you'll need two different sizes - One for the bigger yoke screw , and another for the two smaller side plate screws.

Brownells makes a screw driver just for the S&W revolver, I bought a few a couple years ago and they live on my bench and and my range bag.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bit-sets/s-w-screwdriver-prod413.aspx

14 minutes ago, alecmc said:

To do it proper, you'll need two different sizes - One for the bigger yoke screw , and another for the two smaller side plate screws.

Brownells makes a screw driver just for the S&W revolver, I bought a few a couple years ago and they live on my bench and and my range bag.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bit-sets/s-w-screwdriver-prod413.aspx

Cool.  That is perfect.  Are they the right profile for the screws?  One person gave a negative review that the bits were not hollow ground and would strip the screws

I use the Magnatip 44 bit professional set at work. I've also purchased all the Torx and metric hex bits as well. It's a very convenient set, and I use it far more than my traditional screwdrivers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...