Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have info on Alien for Open?

adrone

I live in the US and in Norway....The guys in Norway have had the Alien for about 6-8 months.

I have handled one there and they say they have been reliable.....

2 weeks ago I got one of my friends in Norway to ask one of the guys from Laugo about it running 9 major.....

The response was that they have been testing the Alien with 9 major (pf or load not specified) and that it has run successfully through at least one test gun 10,000 rounds with no issues.

They also said they are running prototype comps currently and one will be released in a few months.  Threaded barrel With comp. They will have a threaded available for silencers as well. Probably the same....

They said it could easily be added by just dropping it in to any existing pistol...

I like  the idea of the Alien for many reasons for open....

Does anyone on the forum have any enlightening information beyond what I already know?

That gun is so new I doubt there will be any information about it running in open. Like you said, not even in the US yet. If it holds up in 9 major, my next questions would be how many rounds would a 170mm hold, and who will be making those mags?

3 hours ago, Silent said:

That gun is so new I doubt there will be any information about it running in open. Like you said, not even in the US yet. If it holds up in 9 major, my next questions would be how many rounds would a 170mm hold, and who will be making those mags?

170mm mags can be done with a properly designed basepad. I am working on one for the CZ "small frame" guns.

I remember watching some very low quality videos about this Alien pistol.. a year or two back..

If memory serves, it is a modular style grip. Much akin to sti. It also uses a very unique ignition system and I want to say it runs on a gas system?

Big money for that toy. Maybe it cleans house and all those hicap 1911's go way of dodo. Just like them 1980's comped and ironsighted singlestack race horses.

20 minutes ago, Specialneeds said:

I remember watching some very low quality videos about this Alien pistol.. a year or two back..

If memory serves, it is a modular style grip. Much akin to sti. It also uses a very unique ignition system and I want to say it runs on a gas system?

Big money for that toy. Maybe it cleans house and all those hicap 1911's go way of dodo. Just like them 1980's comped and ironsighted singlestack race horses.

Grip does not look modular - but you can have different grip panels. You can exchange the top rail: irons, different ones for mounting dots. Gas delayed blowback system.

(from the linked site)

Until now, they have been selling a limited edition with all sorts of extras. Even a basic one will not be cheap.

Look closely at the grip versus rails. I have seen a black rail silver grip one before. It shows slots cut by woodruff and also has implication of set screws. I searched and saw a larry vickers video at shotshow. You may be able to see it there.

My eyes are old, maybe I am missing something.

It looks very heavy and expensive.

Same weight as my all steel singlestack 45.

I am curious how such a skeletoned slide will handle 9major abuse, if a person threads on a muzzle device. Basically a breechface and some rails.

When first found out about this thing years back, I started digging. Nothing was available then, beyond a few pictures and one video.

Looks interesting. Seems like a bit of aluminum is in it.

Maybe it turns the world upside down.

2 hours ago, perttime said:

Being gas delayed blowback, the forces on the slide are totally different from a John Moses Browning design.

Care to explain? I mean.. the headstamp of case should bear on the breechface all same? In my brain, I do not understand a difference. Equal and opposite reactions.

Gas pressures force brass into breechface. If the barrel moves or not, or how the system delays unlock should make little to no difference? Or, I could be entirely wrong with said conclusion.

Regardless - I found the design interesting. However, I am 99% sure one will never be in my ownership. Would like to see pictures or diagrams how it's ignition system functions. Hammer is located in that upper aluminum rib.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:30 PM, Specialneeds said:

Care to explain? I mean.. the headstamp of case should bear on the breechface all same? In my brain, I do not understand a difference. Equal and opposite reactions.

Gas pressures force brass into breechface. If the barrel moves or not, or how the system delays unlock should make little to no difference? Or, I could be entirely wrong with said conclusion.

So what's resisting the breechface moving backwards as the case head pushes against it? What are your opposing reactions? You've only thought of half of it.

On a tilting barrel gun it's the steel in the slide between the locking lug(s) and the breechface. If your gun is fit together well, like many custom 2011's, there's very little room for the breechface to move before the locking lug(s) engage. If it's not put together as tightly, like many Glocks, there's a slight gap and the slide accelerates for a moment before the locking lug(s) engage. Glocks with a steady diet of major loads occasionally crack their slide in the lower right corner of the ejection port under the extractor because of this battering.

On the Alien the breechface is held forward by gas pressure on a piston like the HK P7/PSP series of pistols. This piston is connected somehow to the front of the slide to apply the necessary forward pressure. I don't know how it's fit nor what tolerances there might be nor how suitable this design is to extra pressure. It's very different from all the various Browning iterations currently used in the game though.

Edited by belus
misplaced comma, spelling

From an engineering standpoint it's cool.

From a game standpoint (specifically an open gun standpoint), I'm not seeing anything it does better than a well tuned Honcho/Chaos/Infinity/Limcat/other fancy custom 2011. Maybe I'm wrong.

Of those, the Honcho is interesting because it costs a lot less to make, right? So if this can be made in not-super-expensive limited runs, and then need fewer mods to be awesome, then it might go somewhere. It would also help if it got out in the wild so that fancy custom smith guys could start messing around with a couple, see what they can do to make the trigger better, how it responds to excess pressure, getting the weight right, etc.

Edited by parvusimperator

I wish Laugo would get it together and fast for open.

I think the Alien doesn’t really fit any other category in the current market.....competition or otherwise. Maybe im wrong and they know something I do not about potential buyers in the US. Maybe their goal is military and LE. Not sure. 
On the civilian market Open shooters are used to spending near that or some more than that on a new pistol.

I don’t see a bunch of production or carry optics guys spending 5k on a pistol....if they wanted to do that then they would probably shoot open....
I dont really see too many tacticool market guys spending that either....

As ingenuitive as the Alien is I would say if its not geared towards the right demand then it will fail in the US on the civilian market. 

Open shooters and rich toy buyers would be their only real customers at this price point yet Laugo is releasing early without addressing the open shooter market which I would say is the largest of the two by far...

Many of the custom 2011 builders are capitalizing on deep pocket buyers..... I think it would be foolish not to notice that with a product such as Laugo’s. 

I dunno about you guys but I get sick of tinkering with all the little details that lead to issues with these 2011’s over the long term.
Not only that but the short supply of highly experienced builders with wait times capable of building or refitting a great 2011 is a pit too.

It would be nice to have other choices with modular user replaceable components...

Hopefully Laugo will read this...and read all the other comments floating around. 

Vicker's stated it looks to be identicle of hk psp piston system, simply inverted.

How much play is in that.. alongside if laugo used the fluted chamber walls.. who knows. If the piston is spring loaded.. who knows.

I suspect there has to be an initial setback due to the system design. From the comment, a slide splits/cracks at the weakest point during shudder shock due to excessive lash. Sounds like knocking teeth off gears or splines off axles in racecars.

I dunno if that piston system will have similar issues... however, an initial setback(squish) or otherwise movement closer to ejector.. followed by a gaspowered piston shoving in the opposite direction; sounds just as wear prone when compared to lash/tolerance of tilting barrel system. With a greater complexity to the gas system. Weight, moving parts, etcettera.

It looks good.. but -if that design was worth all that extra cost and effort by merrit.. would not all automatic pistols function as such by now?

I think 90% of the reduced recoil comes from 2&1/4lbs pistol with a very low centerline of barrel vs 9x19 recoil levels. Hell, a heavily gutted 1911 slide with bullbarrel 9x19 chamber is pretty soft..

Dunno guys.

In closing about the tinkering - all race toys and performance machines are more moody than my wife/daughter. They take constant attention and affection. Nature of that beast. I do not see any 'alien' being less picky. By the time spring bias and load developement take place. Hell, that gas piston system may be like the m14/m1a. Certain powders and projectiles just are no go.

Edited by Specialneeds

7 hours ago, Specialneeds said:

I suspect there has to be an initial setback due to the system design. From the comment, a slide splits/cracks at the weakest point during shudder shock due to excessive lash. Sounds like knocking teeth off gears or splines off axles in racecars.

I dunno if that piston system will have similar issues... however, an initial setback(squish) or otherwise movement closer to ejector.. followed by a gaspowered piston shoving in the opposite direction; sounds just as wear prone when compared to lash/tolerance of tilting barrel system. With a greater complexity to the gas system. Weight, moving parts, etcettera.

It looks good.. but -if that design was worth all that extra cost and effort by merrit.. would not all automatic pistols function as such by now?

People have been shooting tens of thousands of rounds through them.

John Browning is god. There ain't no designs that are better than what he designed ;):D

Hello, we can speculate on how this pistol will do in the competitive arena since we don"t know to much at this point, other than the video's.  However, I believe this pistol is a marvel of engineering, talk about engineers who were thinking " out of the box " so to speak.  These people weren't thinking on how to improve an existing design, they wiped the chalk board clean and started from scratch.  There is something to be said on handguns with a low bore axis and the Alien is about a low as possible.  Couple that with s fixed barrel, low mass slide and gas delayed blowback system and you have one extremely fast cyclic rate pistol.  Add to that a top rail with sights that don't move and no external safeties to manipulate and I ask you how this thing wont rock in USPSA match's, open division or otherwise.  As an open division competitor I would certainly welcome the opportunity to try one and compare its performance value.  And as far as holding up I can only guess, but I don't think the engineers would design a fragile lightweight thats going to fall apart after a few thousand rounds.  As mentioned, only time will tell but I for one do admire the Alien pistol innovative and super modern design.