Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt and Holster for newbies

Grasslandshunter

So my wife and I are wanting to get into USPSA this spring.  Out of all the gear, its the belt setup that is the most confusing to me.  So many darn brand and gear options, or so it seems.   I have spent hours looking at posts and I think instead of guessing what is a good setup and probably wasting money.  Hopefully, some of you wouldn't mind helping me out with some advise.  What would you all recommend for someone starting out?  My wife will be shooting a Glock 34 in carry optics.  I will be shooting a CZ-75B in production.  Basically, she gets a new gun and I will be shooting one I already have.  Thank you,                          

Red Hill tactical is a great holster company. I don't have any of theirs, but they're a USPSA preferred vendor, so is cr speed, which is the belt I have. The dual layer Velcro belts are awesome. Leave everything set up on the outer belt, slap it in and your ready to go

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I just got a Red Hill for my G17 which will be my CO rig. It fits very nicely. It gets its first match next weekend. As for the belt, I started with double alpha but got expensive setting up my forth one. I’ve tried a couple generic brand ones. The MidwayUSA one was meh but the shooters connection one is great. For mag pouches , I like DA Racers.

5 hours ago, Grasslandshunter said:

Thanks for the info.  I buy a lot from Midway, so I'm glad to know about their belt.  I very well might have went that route.

I'll probably order the CR Speed or Shooter Connection belt.  

I had a Midway belt too and switched to a CR Speed a while back. The CR speed is way better. The Midway one is now a spare Incase a buddy wants to shoot.

18 minutes ago, et45 said:

Not to piggyback on the OP but has anyone had any experience with the Blade Tech inner/outer belt?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A guy at my local club had one. It’s on par with the midway and stuff. Not the best or most rigid, but it works. I think you’d be better off spending the extra few bucks on the DAA or CR etc. 

On 2/16/2020 at 11:20 AM, Grasslandshunter said:

So my wife and I are wanting to get into USPSA this spring.  Out of all the gear, its the belt setup that is the most confusing to me.  So many darn brand and gear options, or so it seems.   I have spent hours looking at posts and I think instead of guessing what is a good setup and probably wasting money.  Hopefully, some of you wouldn't mind helping me out with some advise.  What would you all recommend for someone starting out?  My wife will be shooting a Glock 34 in carry optics.  I will be shooting a CZ-75B in production.  Basically, she gets a new gun and I will be shooting one I already have.  Thank you,                          

many recommendations for very good gear above, my question is do you have anything now? You can very easily start out in this game with a Uncle Mikes plastic holster and a couple double mag pouches on a belt you already have to keep your pants up, if you do use that to start, you can also possibly borrow something from another shooter at your club (many will help a new shooter try the sport) I'm not trying to tell you not buy what you want, but I have seen several of shooters spend a bunch to get all set up in a division they think they want to shoot based on what they saw online or read in the rule book but then start going to matches and find that pretty quickly they actually want different guns and gear. Some people look at it as a excuse to buy more gear but some wish they had saved till they had shot some matches and learned what they really wanted.

14 hours ago, et45 said:

Not to piggyback on the OP but has anyone had any experience with the Blade Tech inner/outer belt?.

I've been running one for the past two years, and haven't had any complaints.
That said, it's the only double belt I've used so far, and I've been using a polymer pistol, so the load isn't too heavy.

10 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

many recommendations for very good gear above, my question is do you have anything now? You can very easily start out in this game with a Uncle Mikes plastic holster and a couple double mag pouches on a belt you already have to keep your pants up, if you do use that to start, you can also possibly borrow something from another shooter at your club (many will help a new shooter try the sport) I'm not trying to tell you not buy what you want, but I have seen several of shooters spend a bunch to get all set up in a division they think they want to shoot based on what they saw online or read in the rule book but then start going to matches and find that pretty quickly they actually want different guns and gear. Some people look at it as a excuse to buy more gear but some wish they had saved till they had shot some matches and learned what they really wanted.

Agreed. I bought a double belt after my first match, because I knew I'd be back and saw the convenience factor, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a normal good leather belt until you decide to make the switch.

Another vote for the Shooters Connection belt. As with any two-part belt system, pay attention to the size you order. The websites all have info to help you get the right size.

9 hours ago, Harpo said:

Agreed. I bought a double belt after my first match, because I knew I'd be back and saw the convenience factor, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a normal good leather belt until you decide to make the switch.

I will say when talking to new shooters a 2 pc belt is the one piece of equipment I tell them to buy if they plan on shooting more matches, $50 is pretty small beans in this game and the belt is not gun/division specific.

Thanks everyone!  We ended up going with the Shooters Connection belts, as I've ordered from them in the past.   Went with Ghost mag holders and Blade Tec holsters with Boss hangers.  Figured we can always upgrade the holders and holster later if needed.  

I'm sure this was a rudimentary question and  I'm sure it gets asked a lot.  But I do appreciate the help.  

On 2/21/2020 at 9:25 AM, MikeBurgess said:

I will say when talking to new shooters a 2 pc belt is the one piece of equipment I tell them to buy if they plan on shooting more matches, $50 is pretty small beans in this game and the belt is not gun/division specific.

I absolutely agree - the convenience factor and stiffness for the price paid(I've probably spent more than that on mags this year) is a no-brainier if you want to compete.

That said, not having a double belt shouldn't keep somebody from coming out to play for the first time or two.

I’ve got a Safariland belt and mag pouches. I had one of their holsters but didn’t care for the suede leather lining. I had skateboard tape grips on my 34 and some granuals fell into the holster and I didn’t know it and it scratched the heck out of my slide, arrrggghhh! I have a CR Speed holster for my open gun which works fine but isn’t the easiest to draw from. I have a Blade Tech kydex holster for my S2 that I like quite well. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 9:09 AM, et45 said:

I am not super experienced, but mine has held up for 3 years shooting a few matches a month