Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose Tanfo Grips

bassnbud

The left side panel of my Stock II was consistently loose. This was with factory, a Henning, and with my current Lok grips. Using good quality screws with the #60 rubber washer made if better, but it was still not solid. 

Playing with it you could see that the top of the panel did not make contact with the frame. This is obviously a frame flaw as it occurred with various grips. My redneck solution was to lay some painters tape across the inside top of the panel and trim the excess. Presto bango it' tight. I may have to go to a more durable tape at some point, but at the moment problem solved. 

• 2 weeks later...

On my 3rd outing with New PD grips and they haven't loosend at all. I noticed the hardware head takes a smaller bit and a washer. Honestly nice hardware. The thin thin grips I had to red lock tite. Not with these so far at all. 

All my Tanfos had an issue with the grip on the right side with loosening. Tapping on the grip had a hollow sound which to me meant that the grips were not in full contact with the frame. Left side was ok. I used Slalom45's tip on the blue painters tape. Seems to be cured. Hope it lasts.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:41 AM, Slalom45 said:

Playing with it you could see that the top of the panel did not make contact with the frame. This is obviously a frame flaw as it occurred with various grips. My redneck solution was to lay some painters tape across the inside top of the panel and trim the excess. Presto bango it' tight. I may have to go to a more durable tape at some point, but at the moment problem solved. 

Just tried this with 3 layers of electrical tape at the top end. Seems to have done the trick, thanks. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have used JB cold weld on the contact surface and any gaps between the grip panels and the frame.  Then use red loctite on the screws.  80k rounds later still solid 0 movement. 

Before that, I used red loctite on the screws alone, tried many different screws, tried rubber gasket, etc.  all of them still became loose after no more than 5k rounds usually.  For me the left panel became loose first, then followed by the right side.  I think it has something to do with the way you grip.  

I am hoping there are new grip panels that would have tighter fit to the frame so that I don't have to use JB cold weld.  That thing is kind permanent and very hard to remove.  Luckily, I have not needed to remove the grip panels yet, although I do want to try some newer grip panels. 

Edited by Dazhi