Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This is not a bash against Dillon - I have two (650 and 1050) and if I needed another one (who doesn't) it would be a Dillon. Having said that I have issues and I wonder if anyone else has them, and what the solutions are.

I realize that some issues are caused by the me (the operator). Please point that out, but let me know what to change to avoid them.

Brass / Casefeeder

At the casfeeder end:

1. I get a lot of upside down brass in the tube (around 10 - 15 per 100)
  2. Bunshing up a the mouth of the tube is a very common issue

At the press end (Station 1):

1. The case jams between the shellplate and the reloader (As the case is being loaded onto the shellplate)
  2. Sometimes, as the case is being loaded to the shell plate, it jumps out of the shell plate.

Priming:

1. Depriming station (Station 1): primers don't always fall out (into the spent primer cup), they stick to the case and move to the swaging station
  2. Priming station (station 4):
    1. Sometimes the primer does not seat all the way the way (raised primer) this happens once is in 200 - 300
    2. Sometimes the primer gets smooshed as it is seated

Again, I am not trying to bash Dillon - I just would love to have it running smooth.

Thanks in advance.

I'm having the same problems with primers not coming out of the primer pocket - maybe 1 out of 10-15 times.  This started fairly suddenly after over 10,000 rounds reloaded with no problems.  I called Dillon and they said it was the depriming pin - the primer gets pushed out of the pocket, but sticks to the pin and gets pulled back into the pocket on the upstroke.  He said the pin should be rounded, not sharp (mine was rounded) and it might help to reduce the diameter a little with some sand paper, i.e., reduce the surface area that can catch on the primer.  Alternately, he said to try a new pin if I had one.  I have a bunch of new ones so I went that route.  The problem is much better, but I still get the occasional stuck primer, whereas I never had this problem before.  I'm gonna try the chisel tip suggested by Dirtchevy841 above and see how that works...

5 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

I'm having the same problems with primers not coming out of the primer pocket - maybe 1 out of 10-15 times.  This started fairly suddenly after over 10,000 rounds reloaded with no problems.  I called Dillon and they said it was the depriming pin - the primer gets pushed out of the pocket, but sticks to the pin and gets pulled back into the pocket on the upstroke.  He said the pin should be rounded, not sharp (mine was rounded) and it might help to reduce the diameter a little with some sand paper, i.e., reduce the surface area that can catch on the primer.  Alternately, he said to try a new pin if I had one.  I have a bunch of new ones so I went that route.  The problem is much better, but I still get the occasional stuck primer, whereas I never had this problem before.  I'm gonna try the chisel tip suggested by Dirtchevy841 above and see how that works...

If you are at 10k+ did you tear it down and do and do a full clean and lube per Dillon specs? I am nearing that on my machine and can tell it is starting to need it.

Yep, I did the full tear down/clean per Dillon recommendation.  I typically do it ever 6-8K or so.  This is the 2nd time I've had the machine apart to clean/lube it so maybe my round count is getting close to 20K now that I think about it!

10 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

Yep, I did the full tear down/clean per Dillon recommendation.  I typically do it ever 6-8K or so.  This is the 2nd time I've had the machine apart to clean/lube it so maybe my round count is getting close to 20K now that I think about it!

It goes fast! How long did it take to do the job? I need to set some time aside to do it.

Matt

7 hours ago, mvmojo said:

I'd set aside at least an hour or more.  I didn't time myself but it definitely takes longer than it seems like it should.  I've only done it twice and I have to watch the YouTube video to get it right.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f-CToyfidY

One of the better videos out there, unfortunately he doesn’t get into servicing the bottom end. Dillon recommends doing that every 25k rounds. 

Mine is ultra solid mounted.  Bench is 3/4" ply with  2 x 4 frame and 2 x 2 edges, all bolted to the studs in the wall.  2-1/4" lag bolts through the press base into the frame.  Support below the press is a 4 x 4 on a tile/concrete floor.  No movement, no shaking.  Would be difficult to make it more solid than it is.  

I did read on another forum topic that when re-assembling the press after tear down and cleaning that it's advisable to lower the tool head all the way down before final tightening of the top bolt.  This makes sure the guide pins are completely centered.  I didn't do that the last time I disassembled the press and it seems like it wasn't until after reassembly that the primer issue started.  I've now loosened the bolt, lowered the tool head down fully and re-tightened.  Will try loading up a few hundred rounds in the next few days and see if that may have solved the problem...

On 2/22/2020 at 7:10 PM, Rich406 said:

One of the better videos out there, unfortunately he doesn’t get into servicing the bottom end. Dillon recommends doing that every 25k rounds. 

How much more in depth is the servicing on the bottom end? He lightly touches on it in regards to grease etc. I want to do it right the first time. Kinda nervous actually. 

1. Upside down brass in tube.

- Not sure if I have ever run into this.  Watch the case feeder from above to see how cases dont get rotated correctly.  I had a problem with cases getting jammed up where they drop out of the bowl.  Sometimes a piece of brass would sit horizontally between upright case and the bowl, allowing the upright case to get stuck at drop window.  I made a wiper out of a plastic bottle and taped it to the inside of the bowl, this wipes off the horizontal piece of brass.  Has virtually eliminated this issue.

2. Brass bunching up at top of tube.  Dillon sells a small plastic funnel.  I had to trim it quite a bit to fit my 1050 Super case feeder, but it has eliminated this.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/plastic-funnel_8_120_23633.html

3. Case jams between shuttle and shell plate.  Sometimes a stronger shuttle spring will fix this.  Highly recommend spring from Ammo Bot.  Also, check to make sure shell plate is level with press, is not damaged, too loose, dirty, etc.

https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=289&zenid=mtnm92oms1197guii36d76q7a7

4. Case jumps out of shell plate.  See above. 

5. Primers stick to pin.  Grind a wedge to the pin, then polish all the rough eges off.  If you have a small shop vac, you can take a 1 gal paint bucket to run the spent primer hose into, and a larger hole for the shop vac.  The vacuum will help suck off the primers.  Make sure the area around the press and the primer spent tube are sealed with silicone.

Also, do not wet tumble brass with the primers in, and then dry the brass.  The primer gunk will glue the primers in, and you will get a  LOT of pull backs.

HTH 

2 hours ago, Posvar said:

How much more in depth is the servicing on the bottom end? He lightly touches on it in regards to grease etc. I want to do it right the first time. Kinda nervous actually. 

it’s nothing major. There are 3 bearings that need to be lubed. 2 have grease holes where you can inject grease into the bearing. The 3rd requires some disassembly. I couldn’t find any good instructions the first time I did it, but it wasn’t that difficult once i got into it. 

10 hours ago, GregJ said:

1. Upside down brass in tube.

- Not sure if I have ever run into this.  Watch the case feeder from above to see how cases dont get rotated correctly.  I had a problem with cases getting jammed up where they drop out of the bowl.  Sometimes a piece of brass would sit horizontally between upright case and the bowl, allowing the upright case to get stuck at drop window.  I made a wiper out of a plastic bottle and taped it to the inside of the bowl, this wipes off the horizontal piece of brass.  Has virtually eliminated this issue.

2. Brass bunching up at top of tube.  Dillon sells a small plastic funnel.  I had to trim it quite a bit to fit my 1050 Super case feeder, but it has eliminated this.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/plastic-funnel_8_120_23633.html

3. Case jams between shuttle and shell plate.  Sometimes a stronger shuttle spring will fix this.  Highly recommend spring from Ammo Bot.  Also, check to make sure shell plate is level with press, is not damaged, too loose, dirty, etc.

https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=289&zenid=mtnm92oms1197guii36d76q7a7

4. Case jumps out of shell plate.  See above. 

5. Primers stick to pin.  Grind a wedge to the pin, then polish all the rough eges off.  If you have a small shop vac, you can take a 1 gal paint bucket to run the spent primer hose into, and a larger hole for the shop vac.  The vacuum will help suck off the primers.  Make sure the area around the press and the primer spent tube are sealed with silicone.

Also, do not wet tumble brass with the primers in, and then dry the brass.  The primer gunk will glue the primers in, and you will get a  LOT of pull backs.

HTH 

Awesome - thanks.

19 hours ago, Rich406 said:

it’s nothing major. There are 3 bearings that need to be lubed. 2 have grease holes where you can inject grease into the bearing. The 3rd requires some disassembly. I couldn’t find any good instructions the first time I did it, but it wasn’t that difficult once i got into it. 

Excellent. Thanks!