Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major with "heavier" bullets?

vgdvc

4 hours ago, perttime said:

Does it still measure accurately?

What you say makes me think that it would be a bit sticky. My experience with Vihtavuori is that charges are very precise from a Dillon machine. (I have not yet loaded anything where spilling can become an issue).

All drops are dead on.  It meters more accurately than 3N38.  To give you an idea how consistent, 15 rounds taken right off the press chrono with an SD of 5.9.  Average PF was 169.0.  The slowest was 168.2 PF.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Eric, how many grains HS-6 are you using ?   (I know I'll have to work up

with a chrono, just wondering where you are ? )

8.4gr HS6 under a 115gr Everglades JHP gives me 171PF out of my Czechmate’s 5.25” barrel. 

On 2/17/2020 at 1:18 PM, kneelingatlas said:

In the past eight years shooting Open major, I've tried a variety of guns, comps, powders and bullets and here's what I shoot: 10.5gr of Shooters' World Major Pistol under a 115gr MG CMJ @ 1.160".

I think the powder is more important than the bullet weight or number of holes in the barrel, World Major, SP2, and N105 (38 super) are the best powders I've tried and if I couldn't make Major due to too short a barrel or too many holes, I'd use a heavier bullet before I used a faster powder.

If you've never loaded 11gr of N105 under a 115 and shot it out of your 38, you don't know what you're missing 😉

This, all day.  If you are worried about the noise or how soft an open gun feels, you won’t win.  KC could sometimes win back in the 147 days, but he was a beast and the competition is stiffer now.

Major pistol and 3n38 are the only powders that remind me of how 38 super feels when I’m shooting 9 major.  I’m sure N105 would do just as well, but it’s a big enough PITA loading Major or 3n38.