Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
domino329

N320 starting load

Looking for some advice. I am switching powders from WST to N320. I have an Atlas Nemesis with 5.0” kkm bull barrel in .40. I am relatively new to reloading and have never worked up my own load before. My friend had given me his WST load when I started reloading. After doing some research, it seems the average major load is between 4.6gr -4.9gr with a 180 grain bullet loaded to OAL of 1.18. I want to continue to use 180gr coated bullets and I want to keep the OAL at 1.18. My question is, what should my starting load be? I saw in the Vihtavuori website they said to start with 3.6gr, but that was at an OAL of 1.126.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: misread some figures in the first post. Disregard the numbers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those Vihtavuori starting load are usually pretty conservative. Make just a few with 3.6gr and chrono them. I'm sure you will be well below Major PF. If you are looking at the same table as I am, you'll be near 900fps. If so, see what happens with 3.8gr.

Almost there? Add 0.1gr. Ways to go? Add 0.2gr.

Edited by perttime

Looking for some advice. I am switching powders from WST to N320. I have an Atlas Nemesis with 5.0” kkm bull barrel in .40. I am relatively new to reloading and have never worked up my own load before. My friend had given me his WST load when I started reloading. After doing some research, it seems the average major load is between 4.6gr -4.9gr with a 180 grain bullet loaded to OAL of 1.18. I want to continue to use 180gr coated bullets and I want to keep the OAL at 1.18. My question is, what should my starting load be? I saw in the Vihtavuori website they said to start with 3.6gr, but that was at an OAL of 1.126.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I’d start at 4.5gr of N320 and work up from there.

My load in my pistol is 4.7.

Those Vihtavuori starting load are usually pretty conservative. Make just a few with 3.6gr and chrono them. I'm sure you will be well below Major PF. If you are looking at the same table as I am, you'll be near 900fps. If so, see what happens with 3.8gr.

Almost there? Add 0.1gr. Ways to go? Add 0.2gr.

Huh? At 1.180” OAL with 180gr coated .40s&w, you’re about a full grain low.

3 hours ago, candiru said:

Huh? At 1.180” OAL with 180gr coated .40s&w, you’re about a full grain low.

Oops. I misread the lengths in the first post.

4.5gr should get you close. Small adjustments from there, if needed.

Great. Thanks for the help! Now I have my starting point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk