Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

List of Frame, Grip and Slide Manufactures?

Michael303

I'm interested in building a double stack 1911 because it hate time and money and love frustration.  I'm trying to do as much research as I can upfront before I start posting specific build questions.  To do that I'm hoping to gather a fairly complete list of double stack frames, grips, and slided options to research.  I've compiled the following so far.

Frames:

Phoenix Trinity

CK Arms

Cheely

STI

Limcat

JEM

L10

Grips:

Phoenix Trinity

Cheely

STI

SVI

Limcat

Lonestar

Slides:

Caspian

Fusion

STI

Brazos

JEM

Atlas

Tr-Enabling

Is there anything I'm missing worth considering? 

Does choosing a frame and grip from the same manufacture make fitting any easier or do any particular frames and grips mate up easier or harder than need be?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Edited by Michael303
Updated lists.

Caspian makes frames too. And it is a one piece frame in your choice of steel or titanium.

Jem also make slides. Forged as they should be. But then, that's the way EVERYONE with any reputation makes them.

Edited by Dranoel

Yes, choosing a grip from the frame manufacturer makes life easier.  However, several manufacturers make frames that take the same grip.  For example, the JEM Guns POLY (not Evo) grip, the new Brazos custom, Warwick Tactical and the Cheely Custom all take the Cheely e2 grip with little to no fitting.  Trying to put an Evo grip on them requires work (about 8 hours with a file).  So choose the grip you like and buy a frame to match.

Slides are easier.  Only one on your list is worth buying.  That is the Brazos.  I've sworn off anything Caspian or STI, only because I have never receiver a frame or slide from either that was entirely correct.  Warwick tactical slides are fine as well.

If I were going to build another 2011 I would contact Warwick Tactical and order a Open short block with a Barsto threaded bull barrel.  Everythng will be fit perfectly for under $1100.  Warwick sell to custom gunsmiths mainly, and to manufacturers.  The only slide lightening they currently do it tri-topping.  If you want fancier slide lightening you can buy a slide to frame kit from Brazos with his full lightening cuts and zig racker installed.  He will not build an Open short block, buy might be convinced to do so if you ask for a Barsto threaded barrel instead of his Trubore Thundercomp 2 barrel.

Another thing you can consider is just buying a PT Honcho.

I would highly recommend JEM especially for your first build. My current open blaster is a JEM frame and slide. The best part is JEM charges a very small fee to fit the frame and slide. They also can tri top. Brazos is another great option and will also do fitting but costs a few hundred more then JEM.

Are you building a 2011 for limited, open or three gun?

My latest Open gun is a JEM slide and frame.   Fit is beautiful, plus they are good people.  It cost me $480 to have the slide lightened the way I wanted it, so the $1000 for the Brazos Lightened slide with racker and frame fit comes out less expensive.  I don't think you could ge wrong with either.  If you want to have someone else do the slide lightening (as I did) Warwick tactical is another solid choice.

I've built enough guns to learn you can make it way easier on yourself by buying the frame and slide from the same manufacturer (and not STI or Caspian).  I love Cheely Custom frames, but he won't sell any of his slides, so I'll stick to the three I mentioned.

Brazos is away for a week at a shoot.  When he returns he can have your slide to frame fit out in a matter of days.  JEM is going to be longer than that.  Warwick longer yet.

21 hours ago, zzt said:

Yes, choosing a grip from the frame manufacturer makes life easier.  However, several manufacturers make frames that take the same grip.  For example, the JEM Guns POLY (not Evo) grip, the new Brazos custom, Warwick Tactical and the Cheely Custom all take the Cheely e2 grip with little to no fitting.  Trying to put an Evo grip on them requires work (about 8 hours with a file).  So choose the grip you like and buy a frame to match.

Slides are easier.  Only one on your list is worth buying.  That is the Brazos.  I've sworn off anything Caspian or STI, only because I have never receiver a frame or slide from either that was entirely correct.  Warwick tactical slides are fine as well.

If I were going to build another 2011 I would contact Warwick Tactical and order a Open short block with a Barsto threaded bull barrel.  Everythng will be fit perfectly for under $1100.  Warwick sell to custom gunsmiths mainly, and to manufacturers.  The only slide lightening they currently do it tri-topping.  If you want fancier slide lightening you can buy a slide to frame kit from Brazos with his full lightening cuts and zig racker installed.  He will not build an Open short block, buy might be convinced to do so if you ask for a Barsto threaded barrel instead of his Trubore Thundercomp 2 barrel.

Another thing you can consider is just buying a PT Honcho.

Thanks for the feedback.  Part of me wants to fit the slide, frame, and barrel myself but that also seems like the easiest part to screw up and cause problems; particularly the barrel to slide. Getting it prefit might be good for my first one.

20 hours ago, je85 said:

I would highly recommend JEM especially for your first build. My current open blaster is a JEM frame and slide. The best part is JEM charges a very small fee to fit the frame and slide. They also can tri top. Brazos is another great option and will also do fitting but costs a few hundred more then JEM.

Are you building a 2011 for limited, open or three gun?

Thanks for the feedback on JEM.  I was unfamiliar with them.  The gun would would probably get the most use in IDPA carry optics so close to a 3 gun with a slide ride optic but I'll have to watch the weight.  

13 hours ago, HIREDgun45 said:

Atlas and Tr-Enabling sell slides.  L-10 Machine offers a stainless steel full size and aluminum carry grip.

Thanks.  Added to the list.

21 hours ago, Dranoel said:

Caspian makes frames too. And it is a one piece frame in your choice of steel or titanium.

Jem also make slides. Forged as they should be. But then, that's the way EVERYONE with any reputation makes them.

Thanks.  Added to the list.  

32 minutes ago, sauza45 said:

Brazos fits his slides to the frame while they are being cut, so the fit is great. I have purchased two of the frame and slide kits and they were perfect.

You wont be disappointed with Brazos.

Warwick Tactical does the same.  In addition the barrel is precision fit.  They have 17 different barrel links for a perfect fit.  And before someone asks, no, they will not sell them to you.

You should contact those companies you’re considering and ask if the specific part(s) you’re wanting to buy from them are:

1. Made in house? 

2 Bar stock, plate, cast, forged or MIM?

3. Do they obtain material and heat treat certifications (if applicable)?

4. What is the warranty?

• 3 weeks later...

You might check with SV.  They might not sell you some of their parts.  Actually, they don't sell much to other gunsmiths.  There are a few but not many.

I have known Bob for a long time.  He is a GM and gunsmith.  His stuff is top notch.

In AZ, the Eddie's have a very good rep.

Mix and matching can ofter require more build time.  

There were some excellent posts on the 1911 Forum about steel.  Bar Stock, cast etc.  Good steel in exists in both categories as does bad.  I was at the Shot Show some years ago, when a foreign country (not in SA) was marketing bar stock steel frame, with the hardness of silly putty (the analogy is a joke but you get the idea).

• 3 weeks later...