Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

220 gr Bullet in a 1911

alien_pickles

Anybody have any experience running 220 gr bullets out of a standard 5" 1911 or 2011?

I usually use 180s, since they let me switch back and forth between SS and limited pretty easily, but I really prefer the 200s out of my 1911. Since I'm switching exclusively to SS leading up to nats, I figured it was worth resetting my press for 200s and knocking out a bunch. However, when I went to order some, I notice that 220s are also an option, and now I'm intrigued... Especially since the 220s are available as flat points and the 200s are only round nose.

I figure there's a reason that everyone shoots in the 165-200 range though... Just wondering what the reasoning is, or what type of shooting the 220s might be targeted at?

For me, I like 200 when I'm not able or willing to practice live fire much 100-150 rounds a week

If I'm shooting more than 150 rounds a week I find 180's a better option for splits (tested on the timer)

I Find anything heavier than 200 even with out much live fire time feels really slow and gives no

advantage on the timer in accuracy splits.  Meaning split times with consistent two alpha hits.

So for me I'd want to stick with 200's if I preferred them NOW and not change things before a major match

Anybody have any experience running 220 gr bullets out of a standard 5" 1911 or 2011?

I usually use 180s, since they let me switch back and forth between SS and limited pretty easily, but I really prefer the 200s out of my 1911. Since I'm switching exclusively to SS leading up to nats, I figured it was worth resetting my press for 200s and knocking out a bunch. However, when I went to order some, I notice that 220s are also an option, and now I'm intrigued... Especially since the 220s are available as flat points and the 200s are only round nose.

I figure there's a reason that everyone shoots in the 165-200 range though... Just wondering what the reasoning is, or what type of shooting the 220s might be targeted at?
I shot 220 xtremes for a little bit with titegroup but the slide cycled a little which slowed down my successive shots. Jacking up the power factor defeated the purpose of shooting light bullets so I'm back at 180sb for the last year. They run great out of my SS in 40

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I use 220 gr. and a ton of them loaded. softer yes. less powder yes. but proceed with caution. i would never load a 220gr for a glock or any other short oal ammo spec. 

My oal's will be 1.180-1.200

After running 180gr coated LFP bullets for about 5 years, I ran 200gr coated LRN bullets for a year or so. They were okay for local matches where the longest shots are usually within 10-15 yards, but the ballistics weren't that great with the distances that I was seeing at Area matches and Nationals.  The drop was a little too much for my taste and, as mentioned above, the slide cycling felt slower.

I definitely wouldn't have liked the drop with 220gr bullets, that's for sure.

Instead of going back to the 180gr bullets, I tested out some 155gr coated LRN and 170gr coated LSWC.  I chose the 170gr LSWC and have been very happy with the results.  I don't plan on ever changing to anything else. ;)