Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun non-compliant at club matches

nasty618

4 hours ago, Cliveb said:

... - They start by attending some of our weekly training sessions - no pressure of scores, just learning the ropes.

Perhaps some clubs only have matches, and no training sessions?

My club has monthly matches and weekly training sessions - and those who have completed "The Course" can practice on their own, whenever the range is open.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I've seen more DQs from experienced guys pushing it than from shooters in the first few matches.

The majority of shooters who show up for their first match cold already know how to draw a pistol and do basic manipulations.  That's a function of our relaxed laws over firearm ownership and carrying for self defense.  Then the safety brief makes them slow down and think through their movement, 180, etc.  On top of that, ROs keep a good eye on them.  Net result most come in last, are slower, safe, and leave with a smile on their face. 

I will say that quite a few clubs do offer prep courses/clinics for those interested, so your idea isn't completely foreign here.  It's just not as widespread as the safety briefing the morning of.

Yep - the context of gun use is slightly different, and our respective situations are clearer.

Over here, the vast majority of gun owners just target shoot/plink off a table. No holster use, movement etc - so they  wouldn't be really  ready to just strap on a holster and play. Also, our weekly training sessions are usually divided into a couple of hours of drills for the serious types, followed by a couple of hours of stages - which is the equivalent of a non-official L1 match. This gives them a pretty good feel of the game.

Then there's the fact that we are a small number of more experienced shooters who have our work cut out on match day - running stages, RO-ing, dismantling/setting up new stages (only 2 shooting bays available), in addition to wanting to enjoy the match and shoot well - so we won't be giving first timer briefings etc - they can get that every week.

5 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I've seen more DQs from experienced guys pushing it than from shooters in the first few matches.

The majority of shooters who show up for their first match cold already know how to draw a pistol and do basic manipulations.  That's a function of our relaxed laws over firearm ownership and carrying for self defense.  Then the safety brief makes them slow down and think through their movement, 180, etc.  On top of that, ROs keep a good eye on them.  Net result most come in last, are slower, safe, and leave with a smile on their face. 

I will say that quite a few clubs do offer prep courses/clinics for those interested, so your idea isn't completely foreign here.  It's just not as widespread as the safety briefing the morning of.

Really? 
Maybe we just have dumber newbies here 

Am I gonna have to get slide cuts on a P320 X5 Legion? Website says it’s 43.5 with the magwell and I know I’m not gonna get a dot sight on there that is 1.5 oz. If so that is kinda annoying. Or if I take off that rear sight does it come in just under the 45 oz limit for co. Also base plates are only gonna add to my weight. Aghhhh

Edited by jschroep

1 hour ago, jschroep said:

Am I gonna have to get slide cuts on a P320 X5 Legion? Website says it’s 43.5 with the magwell and I know I’m not gonna get a dot sight on there that is 1.5 oz. If so that is kinda annoying. Or if I take off that rear sight does it come in just under the 45 oz limit for co. Also base plates are only gonna add to my weight. Aghhhh

For CO you can’t have a magwell so that will save a bunch

On 2/25/2020 at 9:47 PM, jschroep said:

Oh well that's relief. 

Don’t got much to worry about now. Start thinking of ways to beef that sucker up. Sh@t throw an hs510 on that bad Larry and hide some more tungsten somewhere. 

On 2/25/2020 at 8:27 PM, jschroep said:

Weight limit in CO has just been raised to 59oz so you're fine. Nothing to worry about. Still can't have that magwell installed in CO though.

3 hours ago, robb315 said:

It’s in the board minutes that just came out on the Uspsa website. 

And from what I understand there will be a 2020 rules coming out.

On 2/25/2020 at 8:27 PM, jschroep said:

Not that it matters anymore, but the rear sight plate weighs more than the optic.

• 2 months later...

So going back to the OP - we saw the guy with the S2 that was most likely too heavy.

So you tell the shooter and they send it somewhere to get it lightened and milled (at significant cost).

Then, two months later USPSA changes the rules and the original gun would have been legal.

Should you reimburse the shooter? Should USPSA?

Tough question right?

31 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

So going back to the OP - we saw the guy with the S2 that was most likely too heavy.

So you tell the shooter and they send it somewhere to get it lightened and milled (at significant cost).  YES

Then, two months later USPSA changes the rules and the original gun would have been legal.  Too bad.  Rules are not ex post facto

Should you reimburse the shooter? Hell no Should USPSA? Neither

Tough question right? Nope.  Easy question.  Play by the rules or don't play at all.

I don't get the logic of some here.

• 3 weeks later...

So I am just delving into carry optics, and I wanted to read this thread to see what was relevant, but I ended up more confused. Everyone keeps saying that the shadow 2 isn't CO legal because of the 45oz weight limit, yet the rule book states 59oz weight limit? So is the shadow 2 good to go in CO?

8 minutes ago, CJeromeE said:

So I am just delving into carry optics, and I wanted to read this thread to see what was relevant, but I ended up more confused. Everyone keeps saying that the shadow 2 isn't CO legal because of the 45oz weight limit, yet the rule book states 59oz weight limit? So is the shadow 2 good to go in CO?

Shadow 2 is good to go in CO. 

1 hour ago, CJeromeE said:

Tell those people to go read the updated rules

I have never seen pistols come into question. Their differences in state legalities are so subtle, an average MD or even trained USPSA RO can't tell the difference. It's the PCC's and long barreled guns that often get flagged. In Commiefornia, those are known as "assault weapons" and aren't legal for use in competitions there.

"

Question 1: Would you, as a certified RO with the timer or tablet:

a. follow the rules

b. pretend like you didn't see it

c. explain the rules for the future and let him shoot for score 

=========

Follow rules, but I wouldn't be a stickler over a slide machining detail. I wouldn't see that as a competitive advantage.

Edited by Styro