Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
ysrracer

I gave my S&W 9mm 929 a "circumcision" :)

Recommended Posts

On 2/21/2020 at 10:15 AM, ysrracer said:

414386387.jpg

 

Not like there aren't straight lines to line it up with!!!  Probably how mine would turn out 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one is a 5" 627 with a titanium cylinder, and the other, a 929 hacked off, but leaving the original sight.

20200222_144948[133].jpg

Edited by Ignatz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NoSteel said:

 

Not like there aren't straight lines to line it up with!!!  Probably how mine would turn out 😂

 

The gunsmith I took it to asked me, if I did it myself. When I told him a well known gunsmith in Arizona did it, he said, are you sure?

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doesn't pay much, but you get to keep the tips...


Stay away from half-off sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 11:43 AM, superdude said:

Just an FYI, SAAMI groove diameter specs for both the 9mm Luger and 38/357 barrels are 0.355" + 0.004".   So anything between 0.355" and 0.359" is within spec. 

 

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.3-CFP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

 

 

Not trying to be a dick but where did you see that barrel tolerance ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 10mmdave said:

Not trying to be a dick but where did you see that barrel tolerance ?

 

Barrel specs are on the drawing pages.  9mm = page 27.   38 Special = page 47. 357 Mag = page 44.  on the lower of the two drawings.

 

The +0.004" is noted in the "CHAMBER" description in the bottom right of each page, and reads 'unless otherwise noted all dia +.004 (0.10)'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 9:48 AM, superdude said:

 

Barrel specs are on the drawing pages.  9mm = page 27.   38 Special = page 47. 357 Mag = page 44.  on the lower of the two drawings.

 

The +0.004" is noted in the "CHAMBER" description in the bottom right of each page, and reads 'unless otherwise noted all dia +.004 (0.10)'

Thanks, I was looking under test barrel specs which would logically be tighter.

 

Funny though, all these years we believed 9mm and 38/357 barrels were different, nominal specs say different ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 7:53 AM, ysrracer said:

 

A few people have asked me for the tractor mechanic's name, and all I'll say it that it rhymes with Smank Flenn.

 

So my real gunsmith called me tonight.

 

The slot was not parallel to the bore, the slot was not centered in the rib, the screw hole was drilled off center, a tap was broken off in the hole, and the whole mess was held together with JB FRIGGIN WELD.

 

I'm just hoping it can be saved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ysrracer said:

 

So my real gunsmith called me tonight.

 

The slot was not parallel to the bore, the slot was not centered in the rib, the screw hole was drilled off center, a tap was broken off in the hole, and the whole mess was held together with JB FRIGGIN WELD.

 

I'm just hoping it can be saved.

Sounds like one led to the other, than the next and the next.....  That sucks..  Is your smith going to weld up and re-cut?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

Sounds like one led to the other, than the next and the next.....  That sucks..  Is your smith going to weld up and re-cut?  

Or order a new barrel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Or order a new barrel?

Then he has to re-circumcise it!! Ouch 😂..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoSteel said:

Is your smith going to weld up and re-cut?  

 

That's the plan. He said, since the cut is deeper in front, making it parallel to the bore shouldn't be a problem. He's going to remove the tap, and weld the hole.

 

The only issue he sees it's that it's not in the center of the rib. He's going to center it, and see how it looks. It may need to be welded and recut also.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

 

That's the plan. He said, since the cut is deeper in front, making it parallel to the bore shouldn't be a problem. He's going to remove the tap, and weld the hole.

 

The only issue he sees it's that it's not in the center of the rib. He's going to center it, and see how it looks. It may need to be welded and recut also.

 

 

Your pics got deleted so can't see but may be able to square it up and add material to the sight itself or make a new one to fit larger slot.  Hell,  if it turns into that much work, dovetail it in and it would disappear right into barrel rib..  Yeah,  I can help you spend your money!!

Edited by NoSteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

Your pics got deleted so can't see but may be able to square it up and add material to the sight itself or make a new one to fit larger slot.  Hell,  if it turns into that much work, dovetail it in and it would disappear right into barrel rib..  Yeah,  I can help you spend your money!!

 

 

Screenshot_20200215-110513_1_1_1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It looks like he doesn't know the proper use of fixturing and edge finding. Those are very basic skills for using a mill. You can't just eyeball this kind of work and expect it to come out right. You have to be able to do precision measuring of the setup before cutting.

Edited by Toolguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

It looks like he doesn't know the proper use of fixturing and edge finding. Those are very basic skills for using a mill.

 

He's a very well known well respected revolver smith, that should have retired a few years ago.

 

I'm sure at one time, he could have handled this job, but those days are behind him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, NoSteel said:

Then he has to re-circumcise it!! Ouch 😂..

Doesn't have to be a 929 barrel.  Use a 5" 627, or go all out and have a custom one made?!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Doesn't have to be a 929 barrel.  Use a 5" 627, or go all out and have a custom one made?!

 

 

Are factory barrels available from Smith & Wesson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe at MOJO Custom Guns can make you a barrel and install it if he doesn't already have one sitting there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mchapman said:

Joe at MOJO Custom Guns can make you a barrel and install it if he doesn't already have one sitting there.

 

Wow !!

 

I looked at his Facebook page. He does amazing work. I should have had him do the barrel initially, instead of the tractor mechanic* in Arizona.

 

*no offense to any actual tractor mechanics, i'm sure you could have done a better job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, missed it by that much said:

+1 For MOJO I had him make a ppc gun trigger is superb he does great work

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
 

 

It looks like it from his Facebook page. I wish I had known.

 

My gunsmith did say, he could just cut an inch off the barrel and start over. We shall see.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...