Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I gave my S&W 9mm 929 a "circumcision" :)

ysrracer

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 11:43 AM, superdude said:

Just an FYI, SAAMI groove diameter specs for both the 9mm Luger and 38/357 barrels are 0.355" + 0.004".   So anything between 0.355" and 0.359" is within spec. 

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.3-CFP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

Not trying to be a dick but where did you see that barrel tolerance ?

1 hour ago, 10mmdave said:

Not trying to be a dick but where did you see that barrel tolerance ?

Barrel specs are on the drawing pages.  9mm = page 27.   38 Special = page 47. 357 Mag = page 44.  on the lower of the two drawings.

The +0.004" is noted in the "CHAMBER" description in the bottom right of each page, and reads 'unless otherwise noted all dia +.004 (0.10)'

On 3/5/2020 at 9:48 AM, superdude said:

Barrel specs are on the drawing pages.  9mm = page 27.   38 Special = page 47. 357 Mag = page 44.  on the lower of the two drawings.

The +0.004" is noted in the "CHAMBER" description in the bottom right of each page, and reads 'unless otherwise noted all dia +.004 (0.10)'

Thanks, I was looking under test barrel specs which would logically be tighter.

Funny though, all these years we believed 9mm and 38/357 barrels were different, nominal specs say different ??

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 7:53 AM, ysrracer said:

A few people have asked me for the tractor mechanic's name, and all I'll say it that it rhymes with Smank Flenn.

So my real gunsmith called me tonight.

The slot was not parallel to the bore, the slot was not centered in the rib, the screw hole was drilled off center, a tap was broken off in the hole, and the whole mess was held together with JB FRIGGIN WELD.

I'm just hoping it can be saved.

22 hours ago, ysrracer said:

So my real gunsmith called me tonight.

The slot was not parallel to the bore, the slot was not centered in the rib, the screw hole was drilled off center, a tap was broken off in the hole, and the whole mess was held together with JB FRIGGIN WELD.

I'm just hoping it can be saved.

Sounds like one led to the other, than the next and the next.....  That sucks..  Is your smith going to weld up and re-cut?  

1 hour ago, NoSteel said:

Is your smith going to weld up and re-cut?  

That's the plan. He said, since the cut is deeper in front, making it parallel to the bore shouldn't be a problem. He's going to remove the tap, and weld the hole.

The only issue he sees it's that it's not in the center of the rib. He's going to center it, and see how it looks. It may need to be welded and recut also.

13 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

That's the plan. He said, since the cut is deeper in front, making it parallel to the bore shouldn't be a problem. He's going to remove the tap, and weld the hole.

The only issue he sees it's that it's not in the center of the rib. He's going to center it, and see how it looks. It may need to be welded and recut also.

Your pics got deleted so can't see but may be able to square it up and add material to the sight itself or make a new one to fit larger slot.  Hell,  if it turns into that much work, dovetail it in and it would disappear right into barrel rib..  Yeah,  I can help you spend your money!!

Edited by NoSteel

10 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

Your pics got deleted so can't see but may be able to square it up and add material to the sight itself or make a new one to fit larger slot.  Hell,  if it turns into that much work, dovetail it in and it would disappear right into barrel rib..  Yeah,  I can help you spend your money!!

Screenshot_20200215-110513_1_1_1.png

It looks like he doesn't know the proper use of fixturing and edge finding. Those are very basic skills for using a mill. You can't just eyeball this kind of work and expect it to come out right. You have to be able to do precision measuring of the setup before cutting.

Edited by Toolguy

3 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

It looks like he doesn't know the proper use of fixturing and edge finding. Those are very basic skills for using a mill.

He's a very well known well respected revolver smith, that should have retired a few years ago.

I'm sure at one time, he could have handled this job, but those days are behind him.

1 hour ago, mchapman said:

Joe at MOJO Custom Guns can make you a barrel and install it if he doesn't already have one sitting there.

Wow !!

I looked at his Facebook page. He does amazing work. I should have had him do the barrel initially, instead of the tractor mechanic* in Arizona.

*no offense to any actual tractor mechanics, i'm sure you could have done a better job.

1 hour ago, missed it by that much said:

+1 For MOJO I had him make a ppc gun trigger is superb he does great work

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It looks like it from his Facebook page. I wish I had known.

My gunsmith did say, he could just cut an inch off the barrel and start over. We shall see.