Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I gave my S&W 9mm 929 a "circumcision" :)

ysrracer

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Alleycatdad said:

Did you just hacksaw it off and file it?  

I pick up my 929 later today (StOOpit California....) and am gathering my courage....

SA

You could.  I milled off till it left a slight crown but decided it would look better flat so took that off with file.

2 hours ago, alecmc said:

looks good, the " plug" looks excellent. What'd you use?

Thanks..  It was the original bolt shortened and the head turned down to fit into the existing hole,  which I bored for a deeper recess.  Left just enough of the socket to get it installed then filed flat..  Red lock tite..

Edited by NoSteel

15 hours ago, NoSteel said:

Thanks to ysrracer for the incentive to start hacking on my 929..  The finished product, maybe...

CE45FA94-16BF-4955-A536-032829D92716.jpeg

Amazing work. I wish it had come that way from S&W ... along with a real 9mm barrel.

Edited by Distant Thunder
add information

15 hours ago, NoSteel said:

Thanks to ysrracer for the incentive to start hacking on my 929..  The finished product, maybe...

CE45FA94-16BF-4955-A536-032829D92716.jpeg

You didn't shorten the barrel, right? You just ground off the nub for the comp?

59 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

You didn't shorten the barrel, right? You just ground off the nub for the comp?

Yes,  just the nub.  I don’t have the guts yet to bring it down to 5” or as short as you did!!!  This was practice!!

1 hour ago, Distant Thunder said:

Amazing work. I wish it had come that way from S&W ... along with a real 9mm barrel.

Short of that, if they had just told people up front that it was a 38 barrel. 

Tempted to cut the nipple off with a Dremel blade & file from there, anyone think that is insane? 

40 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

If you're looking for a gunsmith in Arizona that will put the front sight base on crooked and off center , I've got just the tractor mechanic for you.

A few people have asked me for the tractor mechanic's name, and all I'll say it that it rhymes with Smank Flenn.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:39 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Short of that, if they had just told people up front that it was a 38 barrel. 

Tempted to cut the nipple off with a Dremel blade & file from there, anyone think that is insane? 

I think you would be fine with a hacksaw.  Leave about .100" of the nub left and take rest down with a good quality file to get flat.   Crowning is easy with the right tool..

3 minutes ago, superdude said:

Just an FYI, SAAMI groove diameter specs for both the 9mm Luger and 38/357 barrels are 0.355" + 0.004".   So anything between 0.355" and 0.359" is within spec. 

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.3-CFP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

I'm not sure that quality gun manufacturers find SAAMI specs to be sufficient, particularly for relatively high dollar competition guns. 

Looks like Nowlin is shooting for + - 0.0002 if I interpret correctly. 

https://www.nowlinarms.com

2 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

I think you would be fine with a hacksaw.  Leave about .100" of the nub left and take rest down with a good quality file to get flat.   Crowning is easy with the right tool..

Thanks!

I know a guy that has the tool.