Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drills for indoor ranges

MFM22

I see all these great drills  like Bill drill , El Presidente. Etc. but no can do at my public range.  

Any suggestions that will help towards gun skill proficiency is welcome.   I'm not even sure if drawing from holster to shoot is allowed ! 

I'll practice  drawing and  reloads at home ( gun cleared and empty mags of course). Maybe try a timer to track progress but really like something to work on live fire at range 

On ranges that disallow holsters I've practiced with pistol at the low ready position and my support hand on my belly. Safety off, aim and acquire grip, fire x2, repeat. Helped with my sight picture acquisition speed, consistent grip, and double tap. Grab a target with multiple bullseyes and throw two at each for a bit of quick transition work.

7 hours ago, Acclaym said:

pistol at low ready. Safety off, aim and acquire grip,  multiple bullseyes and throw two at each for a bit of quick transition work.

That's what I was doing yesterday.

Used a timer, and it seemed to help after four boxes of ammo.

Going to do it again today.

Unfortunately my local indoor range is the same. It’s more of an old bullseye league social club than a pistol range. They don’t allow drawing from a holster, and they really frown upon “rapid fire” in general.

I too will go from low ready a lot to work on that sight picture. Or I’ll keep the gun close to my chest, drive it forward, align my sights and break a shot as quickly as possible. It’s a good place to practice shooting weak hand as well. I also usually save a bill drill for right as I’m leaving to avoid the dirty looks.

I may bring my belt one day and just practice reloads. I’ll see how well that goes over with the RO’s...

Thanks Sarge -

I like the presentation - T.REX ARMS  has some good videos - guy is down to earth .   I've worked on most of these things and I guess you can work on recoil management & trigger control for years !!    I'm really just starting out at an older age  so  no doubt this range time practice would be very productive