Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon modifying

I have a 650 and I want to modify a part on it and sell it.  Is there any legal repercussions fir doing that.  I know there are so many modification for it. Has anyone ever heard from dillon about that.  

Realize any advice you get on here is worth about as much as you paid for it, nothing.

I think it really comes down to what part, how many you expect to sell, and how the part is advertised. 

I would think if you're making a part from scratch, you'll be alright. If you're taking a stock part, modifying it, and then selling it, you're asking for trouble.

5 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

The original question is somewhat vague:  Do you want to modify the 650 and sell it - or - do you want to make a part, different from the Dillon part, and sell the part/parts ???

Take a dillon part and make it a little different then sell it.  

If you are planning on making a part and then selling said part here on the forum, I would point out the classifieds guidelines, specifically these:

No Dealer or "Dealer-type" Sales
The Classifieds Forum is not for Dealers to sell products or services of any sort.
You are considered a Dealer if you:
• Buy anything with the intent to resell it.
• Sell the same new/unused item(s) more than twice in a year

You cannot sell anything you make or build. Sure, you can buy a gun, modify it a bit, and then sell it at some point. If you do that more than once or twice, or you're a gunsmith, that’s not acceptable. In the same vein, if you appear to have an endless supply of specific items, such as magazines, brass, bullets, etc., selling those items in the Classifieds Forum is not acceptable. If that sounds like you, please be fair to our dealers and contact me for Forum Dealer info.

7 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I would say you’re asking for legal issues doing this.

when I say make it different I mean literally machine a new part and add my modification to it.  Which they do not offer.  Already called and they don’t make it.  I know it’s tough not really knowing what I am wanting to do, without sharing that information here.  But I don’t want it copied.  

Edited by falconew

21 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

If you are planning on making a part and then selling said part here on the forum, I would point out the classifieds guidelines, specifically these:

No Dealer or "Dealer-type" Sales
The Classifieds Forum is not for Dealers to sell products or services of any sort.
You are considered a Dealer if you:
• Buy anything with the intent to resell it.
• Sell the same new/unused item(s) more than twice in a year

You cannot sell anything you make or build. Sure, you can buy a gun, modify it a bit, and then sell it at some point. If you do that more than once or twice, or you're a gunsmith, that’s not acceptable. In the same vein, if you appear to have an endless supply of specific items, such as magazines, brass, bullets, etc., selling those items in the Classifieds Forum is not acceptable. If that sounds like you, please be fair to our dealers and contact me for Forum Dealer info.

I will post it on here once I am done and have it on eBay for anyone to buy.  I read and understand the classified rules.  

23 minutes ago, falconew said:

I will post it on here once I am done and have it on eBay for anyone to buy.  I read and understand the classified rules.  

I don't think you get it.

Advertising
The general forums are not for any advertising whatsoever.
Please do not advertise products or services for yourself or for others in your posts or your Signature, either with text, links, Avatars or images.
However, a non-linked, single line of text in your Signature stating "Team ______" is permitted.
"Group Buys" are not permitted on Brian's Forums. And WTB (Want To Buy) Posts are only permitted in the Classified Forums.

Please do not advertise products or services for yourself or for others in your Posts or Signature, either with text, links, avatars, images or videos. This includes any videos, personal or YouTube, that solicit subscriptions or donations, or include advertising links in videos or at the video viewing site.

Any sort of advertising in Posts or Signatures will be removed by a Moderator, then the Member will be notified with a PM.
I'm sorry for the bluntness of this - we are making every effort to be fair to our paying Forum Dealers.

Like anything else, if you manufacture a part and someone gets hurt or suffers damages using it, they could come after you.  If the part is dangerous, or you fail to provide adequate warnings, you could be liable.  If the end user does something stupid and suffers harm, then probably not.  But even in the latter case, that doesn't mean they won't try.  Best bet if you're going to manufacture and sell something commercially is to take precautions to protect yourself.  That typically includes setting up a separate legal entity, purchasing insurance, etc.

13 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

I don't think you get it.

Advertising
The general forums are not for any advertising whatsoever.
Please do not advertise products or services for yourself or for others in your posts or your Signature, either with text, links, Avatars or images.
However, a non-linked, single line of text in your Signature stating "Team ______" is permitted.
"Group Buys" are not permitted on Brian's Forums. And WTB (Want To Buy) Posts are only permitted in the Classified Forums.

Please do not advertise products or services for yourself or for others in your Posts or Signature, either with text, links, avatars, images or videos. This includes any videos, personal or YouTube, that solicit subscriptions or donations, or include advertising links in videos or at the video viewing site.

Any sort of advertising in Posts or Signatures will be removed by a Moderator, then the Member will be notified with a PM.
I'm sorry for the bluntness of this - we are making every effort to be fair to our paying Forum Dealers.

yes i do get it.  Once I make one I will show what I did.  I NEVER said I would advertise it on here or sell it on here.   I said I will have them on eBay.  

what if someone messages me ?  Is that ok?   

48 minutes ago, falconew said:

when I say make it different I mean literally machine a new part and add my modification to it.  Which they do not offer.  Already called and they don’t make it.  I know it’s tough not really knowing what I am wanting to do, without sharing that information here.  But I don’t want it copied.  

If you don't want it to be copied, be prepared to Shell out a small fortune on patent lawyers and then have some Chinese company steal it and sell it on eBay if it's successful at all.

And yes, if starting a business doing this you'll need all kinds of protections so find a good lawyer, cpa and insurance guy and be prepared to spend a lot of them to get set up 

I would think if the part comes from scratch and it isnt a direct copy of something they make you would be ok. Especially if you're talking about making 100 of said item and not 1,000,000. Also Dillon may take issue with a part that could endanger the user, as it may come back to them.

As far as advertising or selling here, you cannot. But if the part is good people like me will find it on ebay and buy it. And more than likely mention it in the list your mods thread that pops up. Or you could send the part to someone to do a review of it and that can make it on. The rules on advertising/selling/groupbuys are here to protect the good citizens of this board. so you cant fault anybody on them.

1 hour ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

"You know, when I want to seek out legal advice, I go to the Internet forums and ask strangers. Works like a charm!!!"

-Federal Inmate # 3867473

🤣🤣 

not really looking for legal advice.  Just checking with all the upgrades that have been done if anyone has heard from them.  

A fair number of people/companies make products that can be added to Dillon machines.  If it is something new and different from a part on a machine I doubt you would have any patent problems from Dillon.  If it works you may be able to sell a lot of them on the internet, might even be financially feasible to become a dealer on this site.  Getting a patent would not be a bad idea - providing you think there will be a big market for them - as it would give you a number of years to have no competition for the part.

Although it appears to be well-intentioned,  signs say this thread won't end well .

On 2/12/2020 at 9:21 AM, falconew said:

I have a 650 and I want to modify a part on it and sell it.  Is there any legal repercussions fir doing that.  I know there are so many modification for it. Has anyone ever heard from dillon about that.  

Interesting way to introduce yourself to the forum.  Good luck (truly) with your idea, we need to keep American innovation alive.