Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC zero - What Yard Zero?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted a brighter sharper optic on my 9mm Colt. So took an Aimpoint off a back up 16 inch .223 and tried it on a 9mm.

Without any changes it worked fine for the pistol distances.  Later on I bought a dedicated Aimpoint for the 9 and used the same distance.

I would guess that knowing your holdovers and unders is more important than the actual PCC zero.

Ok. After extended testing this afternoon. with 2 JP's both with Holosun 510's

15 yards (meters since we are Europan) zero, dead on hole in hole.

All between 10 and 20 yards... Point of aim is good to go, all All differences neglectible.

Changes are:

25 meters / yards : 4 cm = under 2 inch higher...

35 meters / yards: 10 cm = 4 inch higher...

45 meters / yards: 15 cm = 6 inch higher!!!

identical if going down..

10 meters /yards: 2 inch lower

5 meters/yards: 3 inch lower

1 meter... 15cm / 6 inch lower... 

So I like 15 yards zero. Aim at center of IPSC target at 25-40 yard for perfect A

And aim bit higher for everything pretty close. 15 yard zero it is fine for me..

BR

Edited by Fasthenk65
5 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

15 yards (meters since we are Europan) zero, dead on hole in hole.

Changes are:

25 meters / yards : 4 cm = under 2 inch higher...

35 meters / yards: 10 cm = 4 inch higher...

45 meters / yards: 15 cm = 6 inch higher!!!

identical if going down..

10 meters /yards: 2 inch lower

5 meters/yards: 3 inch lower

1 meter... 15cm / 6 inch lower... 

So I like 15 yards zero. Aim at center of IPSC target at 25-40 yard for perfect A

And aim bit higher for everything pretty close. 15 yard zero it is fine for me..

BR

Your calculations seem to be way off.  No way you are going to be 6 inches off at 1 meter.  Closer to 2 inches.

5 meters should be close to 1.7 and 10 meters close to .8 inches.

Edited by BartCarter
typo
16 hours ago, BartCarter said:

Your calculations seem to be way off.  No way you are going to be 6 inches off at 1 meter.  Closer to 2 inches.

This is what we measured with this load (115 gr plated , 3,35 gn N350, Frontier 115gn bullets) with 2 JP's, one 14,5 barrel (mine) one 16" barrel...

So????

The largest spread between sight and bore on any of my rifles is about 3"

At 1 meter, the max possible drop would be this 3"

If you have a 6" drop at 1 meter, that would mean the center of your optic is about 15cm above the center of the barrel.

So unless you have a huge riser on your optic and a chin weld on your stock, or are using a parascope for an optic, there's something wrong in your measurements.

7 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

damn,

going to do same test again this afternoon, must be something wrong. and i make pictures

Run it all over again.

A = Shooting from 15 meters / 16,46 yard = 3 shots basically hole in hole as it should.

B = 5 shots 25 meters = 27,4 yards

AB = 5 cm = 1,96 inch higher then aiming point

C = 45 meters = 49,4 yards

AC = 11,5cm = 4,5 inch higher then aiming point

D = 7 meters = 7,7 yards

AD = 3 cm = 1,18 inch lower then aiming point

E = 1 meter= 1,09 yards

AE = 5 cm = 1,97 inch lower then aiming point

So I do not know what went wrong but critics were right.

Guess this does live up to normal measurements. 

thanks!!

PS the black in the middle = 2,9 cm = 1,14 inch... 

IMG_5757.HEIC

On 2/20/2020 at 6:20 AM, BartCarter said:

Bart I was indeed wrong, please read new ' test' and comment!

The main thing here is to know where your gun hits and to be able to compensate for targets that are more than 15 yards from your zero.

I zero at 25 because I know my bore isn’t that far below my sight and the last thing I want is to consistently throw shots over the occasional 50 yard steel.

50 yard shots take the longest, so I want them to be likely to hit.  Follow up shots on a 1 meter target are speed of finger.

Edited by Whoops!
  • 3 weeks later...

I like a 50 yd zero for PCC because I want the up close hold overs to be the same as my other AR's.  I have worked to create a habit of aiming 1.5" high at close targets with my 3gun AR and I want to do the same with my PCC AR.  

• 4 months later...
Tnx
Thank you for letting me know my calculations couldn't be right!

I saw that you are using the 510. Are you using just the dot or the circle as well? With the 15 yard zero, does the circle align with any other distances?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After Max Leograndis broke down why he uses a 75 yd zero it made complete sense.  I will be shifting me zero to that as well once I work up my new load.  I tried to find the thread for his explanation but I can't find it (I think that thread was on here).  Like said up above, it will be closer to my Carbine setups as far as hold overs go.   Less thinking makes you faster.  

It really comes down to the distances you will be shooting at.  The reason I want to go to 75 is due to some of the shots required at PCC Nats.  I don't want hold over at distance.  I would rather have hold overs for hoser stuff.  

14 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

After Max Leograndis broke down why he uses a 75 yd zero it made complete sense.  I will be shifting me zero to that as well once I work up my new load.  I tried to find the thread for his explanation but I can't find it (I think that thread was on here).  Like said up above, it will be closer to my Carbine setups as far as hold overs go.   Less thinking makes you faster.  

It really comes down to the distances you will be shooting at.  The reason I want to go to 75 is due to some of the shots required at PCC Nats.  I don't want hold over at distance.  I would rather have hold overs for hoser stuff.  

The ~75y zero is basically the same as a ~15-20y zero. The reason for going all the way to 75y is to account for the janky stuff the bullet does when going trans/sub sonic.

12 minutes ago, Wesquire said:

The ~75y zero is basically the same as a ~15-20y zero. The reason for going all the way to 75y is to account for the janky stuff the bullet does when going trans/sub sonic.

Agreed, but you still have to make sure you stuff works out that far if you have to shoot that far.  You don't show up to Nationals with a 15-20 yd zero and "Hope" you stuff connects at 60-75 yds with accuracy.  Hence the reason for a 75 yd zero.  You then shoot that zero year round so you aren't changing stuff for 1-2 competitions a year.  At least that's my humble opinion.

14 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Agreed, but you still have to make sure you stuff works out that far if you have to shoot that far.  You don't show up to Nationals with a 15-20 yd zero and "Hope" you stuff connects at 60-75 yds with accuracy.  Hence the reason for a 75 yd zero.  You then shoot that zero year round so you aren't changing stuff for 1-2 competitions a year.  At least that's my humble opinion.

+1