Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PISTOL POWDERS ? - VIHTAVUORI N320, HODGDON TITE GROUP, WINCHESTER 231

TheGoatMumbler

Give Shooters World Clean Shot a try... I’m running 4.1 gr with a 124gr PD JHP for 130/131pf in a Shadow 2and 139/140 in a 14.5” PCC.

It shoots softer, cleaner, more consistent, and cooler than any TG load I found at same PF. 

Man I wish I didn’t have so much TG / HP38! I still have about 6 pounds of each left. I really wanna try some of these Shooters World Powders but I just justify buying any more powder right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then main reasons I was looking at the Alliant SP is.......   1. The VV N320 is fairly expensive compared to other powders (30%-40% higher).  2. Even in the Dallas area no one seems to have any nor can they say when they will get some which means internet + hazmat fees + shipping.  3. The Sport Pistol is available at several places locally for $22-$24 for a 1 pounder.  VV N320 is about $38.

Yeah, I know places run specials with either free shipping or free hazmat (not both) but many also have minimum orders, etc. So what is an already pricey powder is REALLY pricey after you add in hazmat & shipping. Don't get me wrong. The VV N320 is badass and if SP isn't equal to or better than I'll stick with it. But I gotta check it out. Not to mention it would be damn nice to jump in the car and 20 min later have it sitting next to me less $25+ in S&H fees.

Edited by TheGoatMumbler

2 minutes ago, TheGoatMumbler said:

Then main reasons I was looking at the Alliant SP is.......   1. The VV N320 is fairly expensive compared to other powders (30%-40% higher).  2. Even in the Dallas area no one seems to have any nor can they say when they will get some which means internet + hazmat fees + shipping.  3. The Sport Pistol is available at several places locally for $22-$24 for a 1 pounder.  VV N320 is about $38.

Yeah, I know places run specials with either free shipping or free hazmat (not both) but many also have minimum orders, etc. So what is an already pricey powder is REALLY pricey after you add in hazmat & shipping. Don't get me wrong. The VV N320 is badass and if SP isn't equal to or better than I'll stick with it. But I gotta check it out.

Your other option would be the Vectan/NobelSport powders sold in 1.1#/.5 kilo bottles. A few years back there was a labor strike at V-V in Finland and the parent company also owned NobelSport in France and had copies made. They didn't exactly duplicate N320 with Ba 9 1/2 that is slightly slower burning. Ba 7 1/2 is their equivalent of N350 and Ba 6 1/2 is their copy of N110. Vectan even used V-V data for their "copy-cat" powders.

There are guys here who have had great success with some Vectan powders that burn more closely to N320.😉

6 hours ago, K-Texas said:

Your other option would be the Vectan/NobelSport powders sold in 1.1#/.5 kilo bottles. A few years back there was a labor strike at V-V in Finland and the parent company also owned NobelSport in France and had copies made. They didn't exactly duplicate N320 with Ba 9 1/2 that is slightly slower burning. Ba 7 1/2 is their equivalent of N350 and Ba 6 1/2 is their copy of N110. Vectan even used V-V data for their "copy-cat" powders.

There are guys here who have had great success with some Vectan powders that burn more closely to N320.😉

I bought a 22lb/20 bottle case of the Vectan GM3 to try. I haven't done so yet, but everything I have read says it is super clean and cool burning with good case fill.  I paid about $15 a pound including shipping.  

I used Titegroup when I first started reloading.  I found some N320 locally, tried it and have never looked back. It's shoots clean, meters great,  and not as hot as Titegroup.  The reviews on Sport Pistol has me intrigued though...