Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inside and out video review of Atlas Titan Limited gun after 50K down the pipe

CHA-LEE

26 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

That is a Rescomp Snake Skin Mag Release button that I trimmed down and smoothed out to make it smaller. The mag release is a Dawson standard length button. I listed a link to the mag button below. Pointing the paddle upwards towards the grip screw helps get it out of the way of my support hand. I also use a Wolff Extra Power mag release spring to help prevent the accidental push of the mag release while shooting. If I miss the position of my support hand grip the heel of my hand can rest on the mag release and cause an accidental button push during recoil. But that is a risk I am willing to take in order to be able to reach the mag release with my strong hand thumb without needing to shift my grip. It also gives me the appropriate punishment for not building my support hand grip properly. If I grip the gun properly, then I can't accidentally push the mag release with my support hand. Grip the gun correctly or pay the price. Its a good motivator for me to grip the gun properly every time.

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=RHTSNAKEBUT&n=Rescomp-Snake-Skin-Mag-Release-Button

Thanks Charlie!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Benevolence said:

Appreciate the video! Though they’re out of the reach price-wise for me for now, I’m quite impressed with the DLC; and the deposition temperatures are quite low for that, I may try that with my future build. I had issues with CrN PVD processing distorting the 2011 I built that I had to re-fit the slide/frame. Trying to determine the proper RS weight, as mine seems a bit snappy forward. 

Do some digging on my YouTube Channel. I have another video series dedicated to tuning the spring weights on 1911/2011 pistols.

Atlas doesn't seem to list the Titan Operator on the site any more.  At least I can't find it.  That seemed to be the only model available with the smooth grip so you could use grip tape.  Do you know who make that grip?

On another note, do you know any 1911 gunsmiths in the Denver area or do you do most of the work yourself?

6 hours ago, Michael303 said:

Atlas doesn't seem to list the Titan Operator on the site any more.  At least I can't find it.  That seemed to be the only model available with the smooth grip so you could use grip tape.  Do you know who make that grip?

On another note, do you know any 1911 gunsmiths in the Denver area or do you do most of the work yourself?

As stated before in this thread, just because you don’t see a specific gun or config on the Atlas Gunworks website doesn’t mean they don’t make them anymore. They can make whatever gun config you want. Give them a call and tell them what you want.

The grip I used on this gun is a “classic” Phoenix Trinity smooth version. This is the grip style PT used to make before they released the EVO which is the standard today. PT might still make you a “classic” style grip. Reach out to them and see if they will make some more.

15 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

As stated before in this thread, just because you don’t see a specific gun or config on the Atlas Gunworks website doesn’t mean they don’t make them anymore. They can make whatever gun config you want. Give them a call and tell them what you want.

The grip I used on this gun is a “classic” Phoenix Trinity smooth version. This is the grip style PT used to make before they released the EVO which is the standard today. PT might still make you a “classic” style grip. Reach out to them and see if they will make some more.

I called them Friday and they happened to have a Titan ready to go, pretty much just as I wanted. 

• 2 weeks later...

50k!!! 😳 I might have 10k through the Nemesis now.  

When you say slide stop pin is that the slide lock pin for manually locking the slide back?  Need to see if maybe mine might need replacing.  I still have yet to replace any springs.  I probably should just for good preventative maintenance.  Nice video Charlie.  

46 minutes ago, nutzach said:

50k!!! 😳 I might have 10k through the Nemesis now.  

When you say slide stop pin is that the slide lock pin for manually locking the slide back?  Need to see if maybe mine might need replacing.  I still have yet to replace any springs.  I probably should just for good preventative maintenance.  Nice video Charlie.  

Your guess at the slide stop pin is correct. The pin is part of the slide lock lever. The wearing part is the pin portion where the lower barrel lugs engage it. Use some calipers to measure the diameter of the pin where there is obvious wear marks and then again where there are no marks. This will tell you how “worn” the pin is. If the wear portion is smaller by 0.003” or more then it should be replaced. Keep in mind that slide lock lever pins come in various sizes. The most common sizes are 0.197, 0.199, and 0.200. You want to replace the slide lock lever with the same size or slightly larger depending on how big the hole in the frame is. The spec size for the hole in the frame should be a 0.200-0.201. Optimally you want a slide lock lever pin that is as close to the frame hole size as possible. As the gun wears the hole in the frame also enlarges so don’t be surprised if you need a larger slide lock lever pin later on down the road. 

As for the springs, they can function way longer than 10k but their tension continually reduces the more use they see. For example it’s not uncommon for a recoil spring to lose about 1lb or more of force after 10k. So if you like the shooting feel of a specific weight recoil spring you need to replace it frequently to maintain a consistent felt recoil. To me the weakening of the springs and how it makes the gun feel different when shooting is the primary reason why I replace them frequently.

• 2 weeks later...

Those 2 videos were fantastic.  I was surprised to see the lack of holster wear on what most people would consider a high mileage gun.  Thanks for taking the time to put that together.  Also, I haven't used that Lucas oil or the electronic aerosol but I'm going to check that out.  

I have thought numerous times of getting an Atlas single stack.  This has got me thinking again...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/14/2020 at 9:30 AM, CHA-LEE said:

I don't. A properly fit and maintained Sear Spring will last the life of the gun.

Thanks for the awesome breakdown. I'm late to the thread as usual but do you wind up retensioning it at intervals, or is it more the case that if you adjust it the first time you don't have to worry about it losing tension?

2 minutes ago, thermobollocks said:

Thanks for the awesome breakdown. I'm late to the thread as usual but do you wind up retensioning it at intervals, or is it more the case that if you adjust it the first time you don't have to worry about it losing tension?

I haven’t experienced the sear spring settings needing redone by wear alone. Usually it needs a little bit of tweaking here or there if I freshen up the trigger job. I have also screwed up the sear spring tension by accidentally laying the grip or slide on it when I have the whole gun apart. A little bit of bending goes a long way with those springs. Having a trigger pull gauge to verify the tension every time you take apart the gun and put it back together ensures that you can get the sear spring readjusted back to where you like it.

59 minutes ago, Nalle2491 said:

50,000 rounds and its still a beautiful gun. Is that the original DLC finish? becuase it still looks to be in prestine shape. 

That is the original DLC finish. DLC is hands down the most durable coating on the market.