Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV Infinity Stainless Steel Grip Cracked

cruisermites

27 minutes ago, HIREDgun45 said:

So you spoke to him about it and showed it to him.  Did Jay Pecson actually state that the cracked grip is due to a defective product?  If they have a 'pile of broken SV grips' in their shop why do they still continue to sell SV if it's that bad?  You would think they would have some kinda recourse as a official distributor of SV.

L10-machine, Lone Star Innovations, PT Trinity, and Cheeley (as mentioned by RangerTrace) all make metal grips.  Maybe that's the best way to go for you.  Did Jay Pecson have a solution for you?

It wasn’t stated but its implied. He just told me that those piled broken grips were the batch of first generations sv made. The newer ones were alright. one solution is weld and the other is to buy a new one. 

2 hours ago, cruisermites said:

It wasn’t stated but its implied. He just told me that those piled broken grips were the batch of first generations sv made. The newer ones were alright. one solution is weld and the other is to buy a new one. 

IMO that's a weak answer from Jay Person, either the grip is defective or he messed up the install.  Weird he doesn't just state what the problem is.  You really can't blame SV if things 'wasn't stated but implied'.  IMO he should back up his work or fully state it's a manufacturer's defect.

Now the 'pile' you saw were 1st gen...is your grip '1st gen'?  How old is your gun/grip?  Did you buy it new or used?  IIRC when STI had their aluminum grips out the ones that cracked were installed too tight, people were fitting them like they would the plastic grips.  Is it possible that something like this could've happened?  

You're leaving a lot of details out. I'm genuinely curious about this so sorry for all these questions. 

SV grips crack on factory guns old and new. They crack on gun smith installed new builds or retrofits. They crack when end users put them on at home themselves. 

The ONLY grip I see cracking constantly are the SV grips. This has been happening for many years and isn't really "news". 

I have friends who beat grips on with a hammer and they don't crack (PT Grips). 

I don't know many smiths that use SV grips unless the end user specifically asks for them. 

I use more than 15 SV grips,(only I’m not try 172 skate) never ever have any issue. I have argue with Brandon many time but SV product is top level.Whatever I ask I received from SV and I never Need  use hammer to beat grip.

On 2/11/2020 at 7:30 AM, Maximis228 said:

Very common with their grips. Sorry this happened to you. Replace with a PT, Cheely, or Lonestar.

Nope, I have had 4, Open, Limited (2) SS and 3G.

Never a problem.  My limited gun has more than 50,000 major rounds.

On 2/16/2020 at 7:04 AM, Maximis228 said:

SV grips crack on factory guns old and new. They crack on gun smith installed new builds or retrofits. They crack when end users put them on at home themselves. 

The ONLY grip I see cracking constantly are the SV grips. This has been happening for many years and isn't really "news". 

I have friends who beat grips on with a hammer and they don't crack (PT Grips). 

I don't know many smiths that use SV grips unless the end user specifically asks for them. 

Not mine nor any SVI shooter in NM or AZ to the best of my knowledge.

Sounds like a troll comment.

On 2/12/2020 at 2:10 PM, HIREDgun45 said:

Sorry that I'm not familiar with him or how it works in the Philippines but 'employed by SVI official distributor' can mean a lot of things.  Have you tried contacting Jay Pecson and ask what he can do to assist with warranty?  Has Jay seen the crack and examined the grip and determine if it's a defective product?  Not trying to be an ass, just curious on details.

Too funny.  Philippines.  Not a SVI gunsmith.  So many things wrong in this post to put SVI on the hook.

On 2/21/2020 at 9:32 PM, pjb45 said:

Not mine nor any SVI shooter in NM or AZ to the best of my knowledge.

Sounds like a troll comment.

Lol right... My anecdotal experience speak volumes in the other direction. I'm glad they arent breaking in your neck of the woods.

13 minutes ago, valerko said:

Have polymer on mine and nomissues and its 40

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I worked for many years developing mechanical systems in the high-tech industry
In some of the mechanisms where the steel failed quite quickly the polymers held almost no wear and tear for a long time

2 hours ago, yigal said:

I worked for many years developing mechanical systems in the high-tech industry
In some of the mechanisms where the steel failed quite quickly the polymers held almost no wear and tear for a long time

somebody told me that for major PF polymer is better then steel , because it flexes and doesn't crack . Still bummer that steel grips cracked and SVI won't do right on it 

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to badmouth anybody here, but when it comes to grip cracking, it's mostly a fitting issue. 
I've installed and used quite some SV grips using factory procedure and no one ever came back with a crack.
I  saw some cracked SV grips, in all occurences they were second hand fit, other brand frame and /or shot without the front screw in place (Yes, I know some people claims there's no need for the front screw with X or Y brand). 

I'm not saying it would not happen, i'm just saying that the variables are numerous to reject the fault on the product.