Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV Infinity Stainless Steel Grip Cracked

cruisermites

I noticed a cracks on my sv grip shown on the picture below, e-mailed SVI but says they only apply warranty for only a year. I am so sad and disappointed with a high priced product to turned like this. I am an occasional shooter so it is used occasionally. Also it is installed in an open 9mm major to which recoil is not that hard. Anyone experienced this? 

E8FCCDB6-CF98-40C6-B095-D15233BB16E4.jpeg

2F159770-A61D-4E63-881A-8E518DF6DF71.jpeg

8 minutes ago, cruisermites said:

I guess I can’t have it repaired?

I mean you can weld it but they crack in other areas too. You would just be prolonging the inevitable.

You could drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it... or hope it goes to the mag catch and stops. But either way this adds flex to the grip which can cause issues.

2 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

I mean you can weld it but they crack in other areas too. You would just be prolonging the inevitable.

You could drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it... or hope it goes to the mag catch and stops. But either way this adds flex to the grip which can cause issues.

Got it Sir, thanks for the advise. 

2 hours ago, cruisermites said:

Its just disappointing with that  we pay for a very expensive product and it doesn’t give us the satisfactions and performance we should get. I have a high regards for SV parts until this happened. 

Was the grip on a complete gun built by SV?  If it's a grip added to your non SV frame and not fit correctly then certain areas can crack due to improper gunsmith install.

21 minutes ago, HIREDgun45 said:

Was the grip on a complete gun built by SV?  If it's a grip added to your non SV frame and not fit correctly then certain areas can crack due to improper gunsmith install.

On an sti frame. It is installed by a competent gunsmith Jay Pecson, employed by SVI official distrubutor in the Philippines. 

Not a metallurgist or a scientist, just a shooter. At some point these things are simply not fit for purpose.

I understand the concept of "well if it wasn't fit correctly it could break."

These are not spaceships; they are very expensive metal grips fit to a semi-automatic pistol. There's a reasonable level of "fitting" certainly but to have a product break because the fit was off by .00000001 microns would be very frustrating.

On some frames the channels on the side where the grip mounts are on a very slightly different angle than the mating surface on the grip.  If the grip is forced on to mate with the flat surface at the top without enough clearance in those side channels, it puts tremendous stress right at that radius where this grip cracked.  So I would say chances are pretty good this was a fitment issue.  Or that combined with the grip being weak in that area.

Edited by ltdmstr

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

On some frames the channels on the side where the grip mounts are on a very slightly different angle than the mating surface on the grip.  If the grip is forced on to mate with the flat surface at the top without enough clearance in those side channels, it puts tremendous stress right at that radius right where this gripped cracked.  So I would say chances are pretty good this was a fitment issue.  Or that combined with the grip being weak in that area.

You bring up a good point. When I purchased the Limcat Steel Grip to upgrade my Razorcat, they also spent quite a bit of time fitting the steel grip accordingly. I am glad to hear this from you (second source) and see that just buying a steel grip by itself is not enough. 

Gunsmiths really are important. 

15 hours ago, cruisermites said:

On an sti frame. It is installed by a competent gunsmith Jay Pecson, employed by SVI official distrubutor in the Philippines. 

Sorry that I'm not familiar with him or how it works in the Philippines but 'employed by SVI official distributor' can mean a lot of things.  Have you tried contacting Jay Pecson and ask what he can do to assist with warranty?  Has Jay seen the crack and examined the grip and determine if it's a defective product?  Not trying to be an ass, just curious on details.

On 2/13/2020 at 5:10 AM, HIREDgun45 said:

Sorry that I'm not familiar with him or how it works in the Philippines but 'employed by SVI official distributor' can mean a lot of things.  Have you tried contacting Jay Pecson and ask what he can do to assist with warranty?  Has Jay seen the crack and examined the grip and determine if it's a defective product?  Not trying to be an ass, just curious on details.

I did talked to him and showed it. No warranties. They have a pile of broken sv grips down their shop. They informed sv about this but nothing came out of it. 

3 hours ago, cruisermites said:

I did talked to him and showed it. No warranties. They have a pile of broken sv grips down their shop. They informed sv about this but nothing came out of it. 

In their defense, it wasn't installed my the factory.  

Now see if you can import a Cheely E2 grip and you won't have to worry about cracks again.

14 hours ago, cruisermites said:

So you spoke to him about it and showed it to him.  Did Jay Pecson actually state that the cracked grip is due to a defective product?  If they have a 'pile of broken SV grips' in their shop why do they still continue to sell SV if it's that bad?  You would think they would have some kinda recourse as a official distributor of SV.

L10-machine, Lone Star Innovations, PT Trinity, and Cheeley (as mentioned by RangerTrace) all make metal grips.  Maybe that's the best way to go for you.  Did Jay Pecson have a solution for you?

Edited by HIREDgun45
sp