Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Load Development Help

Eman

Hey guys, I recently bought a 9major open gun to test the waters in open, and now I am trying to develop a load for it. 

specs: 

kkm 5in barrel

binary engineering 3 port comp (no popple holes)

I have 2lbs of Shooters World Major Pistol powder, and I was wondering if you all had some good loads worked up for this combination?

I currently have 124gr crn blue bullets, but am going to purchase some Everglades hollow points soon. 

Are blue Bullets even a good option for 9major? 

Should I consider 115gr bullets for more gas because of the comp and because I don’t have popple holes? 

Your help is much appreciate for a starting point!

I'm at 9.4 grains of major pistol on a 124 grain DGbullet. My OVL is 1.150 with a cci small pistol primer. This is giveing me a 175 power factor out of my 5.25 inch barrel with two 3/16th popple holes and a smaller two port comp.

I've tested SW Major Pistol loads with both 124 gr PD JHP bullets and Bayou coated ones in my Czechmate with comp and no popples.

Didn't run enough of either to see if there was a difference in comp leading, however 9.3 to 9.5 gr at 1.09-1.13 OAL should get you in major PF territory

Edited by muncie21
added bullet weight for clarity

11 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I've tested SW Major Pistol loads with both PD JHP bullets and Bayou coated ones in my Czechmate with comp and no popples.

Didn't run enough of either to see if there was a difference in comp leading, however 9.3 to 9.5 gr at 1.09-1.13 OAL should get you in major PF territory

just to be clear, that’s 9.3-9.5 grains using a 124 grain bullet, right?

Only use CMJ, JHP or heavy plate bullets with a comp.  I have a three port comp.  It shot very soft with 10.2gr Major Pistol under a 115 HAP @ 1.161" OAL.  I subsequently added two poppels to get it to run flatter.  Id did not shoot as soft or as flat with 124s at major, either with or without the poppels.

Most people shoot 124s because they don't want to put the powder necessary for 115s in the case.  It tends to spill onto the shell plate when the press indexes.  MP is really good in that regard.  After a long loading session I have very little spilled powder anywhere.

3 hours ago, Eman said:

just to be clear, that’s 9.3-9.5 grains using a 124 grain bullet, right?

Yep 124gr projectiles.  I've started load development with 115s also, so that I can compare the two.  Haven't gotten to a load yet on the 115gr bullets that I'm happy with. 

7.0gr of ramshot silhouette at 1.155oal with a 124gr blue bullet got me to 171pf. 

i shot 9.0gr of SW major pistol at 1.155oal with a 124gr blue bullet and got 166pf. 

I am raising my load to 9.2gr of SW major pistol for the next range session. 

the ramshot was the better(less) of the 2 in dot movement. I’ll update after I shoot the major pistol load. 

do you guys think I should up the ramshot load .2-3gr and see what it could do? The primers are starting to flatten, but I am so new at this I don’t know what is acceptable and what is too much. 

Edited by Eman

10 hours ago, Eman said:

The primers are starting to flatten, but I am new- I don’t know what is acceptable

Post some photos of your primers - when we start out, we usually get

worried about "flat primers" a little too early.  Probably okay, but photos

are real good way for the "experts here" to check you out.

15 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Post some photos of your primers - when we start out, we usually get

worried about "flat primers" a little too early.  Probably okay, but photos

are real good way for the "experts here" to check you out.

Ill post some pics of my primers on my next range trip. 

have you guys noticed any gold/yellow granules in the chamber? I have a bunch, and after shooting only 100-150 rounds. Is this normal? 

14 hours ago, Eman said:

have you guys noticed any gold/yellow granules in the chamber? I have a bunch, and after shooting only 100-150 rounds. Is this normal? 

Too much oil on the gun.  Lube lightly, but sufficiently and you get almost none.