Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZEV OZ9 - Snapped Firing Pin & Failure to Extract

Veralai

I purchased an OZ9 directly from ZEV last month, and I’ve got about 1,300 rounds through it so far. 

My first range trip with it I had 70 rounds in And my firing pin snapped. I called ZEV right away and they sent me out a new one two days later. Very random, especially for a brand new pistol and brand new firing pin, but I guess random events happen. Fixed it up, all good... for a little bit.

Once I hit the 700 round mark, I’ve had nothing but failure to extracts (FTE). About every 10-20 rounds I’m getting an FTE. I’ve tried 115, 124 and 147 of blazer, AE and Federal in it. I’ve tried several magazines. I cleaned it up REALLY well. Stripped it several times, and everything looks up to par. I can’t figure it out. 

I've spoken to ZEV and they are working on getting me a shipping label, so I should be mailing it out this week for repair. I also asked how many rounds they use to test fire And they’ve told me “about 40” so I’m hoping they are able to see the FTE and don’t just say “it’s fine, there’s no issue with it”, because I’ve had at-least 50 FTE once I hit that 700 round mark. 

so, anyone else have any issues like this with their OZ9? I’m thinking something has to be out of spec, it’s the only possible solution. Either the barrel (or the slide?) are out of spec, sounds crazy maybe idk, but it’s all I got at this point. 

Thoughts?

No experience with OZ9s, but have you tried a different extractor or extractor spring?
In your cleaning/inspection(just making sure here), did you clean the extractor channel and the hole for the extractor spring assembly? No chips on the extractor claw?

Those are about the only specifics that I can think of.

46 minutes ago, Harpo said:

No experience with OZ9s, but have you tried a different extractor or extractor spring?
In your cleaning/inspection(just making sure here), did you clean the extractor channel and the hole for the extractor spring assembly? No chips on the extractor claw?

Those are about the only specifics that I can think of.

Yep, cleaned the channel and the hole. There’s also no chips on the claw. Everything seems to look fine. It’s at ZEV now so hopefully I’ll find out soon what’s going on.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey have you figured this out? I just got my OZ9. I bought the comp right away and it was having issues. Wouldn’t cycle. But was ejecting. Took comp off it was fine. Called Zev they said it was common and to get a lighter spring. Even though they made me pay for it it was only $15 so I wasn’t tripping. 13lb spring in. Comp on. 115g rounds. FTE. No ejection. Comp off. Same issue. Changed brands of ammo. Still no ejection. In fact it wouldn’t even lock the slide back on the last round. Tried with the OG magpul mags and 2 stock glock mags. Really annoying when trying to practice 1R1. It just makes 0 sense to me why it wouldn’t even lock the slide back, WITH A LIGHTER SPRING. I didn’t have the stock spring to swap and see if that was the problem. It was the end of the range day. I talked to the owner of the range and he said only thing he can think is maybe I’m limp wristing. I did just have wrist surgery and while I’m out of the brace I am recovering still. I don’t know. I’m going out tomorrow again to try more things. Kinda annoying to spend so much and have only 500rds in. I’m waiting to call zev. Would hate to send it off if I could fix it myself 

Hey man, yes so sounds almost identical to my issue. Even with the comp. try the stock spring without the comp before you call ZEV. If that still gives you issues, send it back don’t waste ammo trying to solve it. I did, and I probably wasted a good 800+ rounds. I doubt you are limp wristing. I had several people shoot my pistol and it had the same failures with each guy. So it wasn’t the wrist. I’d recommend calling them and sending it in, The comp with the recommended spring should obviously work. I believe my slide or barrel is out of spec, honestly don’t know. It’s also been 4 weeks now and nothing from them. Getting unhappy and if they tell me nothing is wrong I’m definitely getting a refund. I’ll keep you posted and let you know. Keep me updated too. 

17 hours ago, Veralai said:

Hey man, yes so sounds almost identical to my issue. Even with the comp. try the stock spring without the comp before you call ZEV. If that still gives you issues, send it back don’t waste ammo trying to solve it. I did, and I probably wasted a good 800+ rounds. I doubt you are limp wristing. I had several people shoot my pistol and it had the same failures with each guy. So it wasn’t the wrist. I’d recommend calling them and sending it in, The comp with the recommended spring should obviously work. I believe my slide or barrel is out of spec, honestly don’t know. It’s also been 4 weeks now and nothing from them. Getting unhappy and if they tell me nothing is wrong I’m definitely getting a refund. I’ll keep you posted and let you know. Keep me updated too. 

I am going today to try one last thing I think may be the issue. I saw another thread. Same issue. They said that if you run an RMR your right screw could be too long and pressing down into the extraction plunger causing FTE. Could definitely be my problem. My friend was the first to shoot it when it came in Bc I was working and the right screw backed out so I had to order more. It definitely looks like it screws in deeper than the left. Will know today. 

23 hours ago, Veralai said:

WOW! That’s something I would have never even thought of. Very interesting. Please do keep me updated on that. 

Well I redid the right screw. Performed flawlessly. Cycled correctly and ejected fine. As much as I’d also hate to admit it, with the slide not locking back it was in fact user error. I wasn’t limp wristing it. But I did notice my thumb pressing the slide release. Had to change my grip to get used to the location of it. But overall it performed well and seemed to be the right RMR screw issue for the FTE. 

• 1 year later...

Hey I am having same problem, however when I switch out the frame to a Glock 27 if worked fine and when I use the Zev frame with the Glock 17 slide it worked with no isue for over 400 rds. what do you all suggest ?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am having the same problem at around 400 rounds.  The shell will not extract from the barrel.  Called Zev and they said get a lower recoil spring (13 or 15lbs) or remove the compensator and try it.  I did not spend over $2000 to have these problems.  ZEV  SUCKS!  They know it and we who patronized them now know it.  Did I mention that ZEV SUCKS! Cheap sob's won't even provide proper springs for stock guns!!!  They don't care about their good customers. Oh, bye the way, ZEV SUCKS!  

• 2 weeks later...

I had a worst issue brand new OZ9C Hypercomp out of the box would not go into battery. Once in battery it would fail to go into battery every shot. Called them and they sair breaj in 350 rounds. Went over that amount with the same problem. Had to take it to my gunsmith and fix this thing ourselves. They customer service was responsive but they stick by this break in nonsense. You spend a lot of money in ammo and the issue dont solve themselves by break in. 

I like the gun but now im left with a modified OZ9C since I had to use GLOCK OEM extractor and extractor spring.

I too had a terrible experience with an OZ9. Gun repeatedly had light strikes. Tried different strikers and springs to no avail. Glock OEM slides worked on the frame, the Zev frame refused to work on Glock frames. It was a nightmare. Returned gun to Zev and was told Gun was fitted with upgraded parts and test fired with two boxes of ammo. Tried gun as soon as it arrived and had the exact same issue. Can’t tell you how disappointed I was with the gun and their customer service. Sold the gun to Cabela’s for one third its worth and was glad to be rid of it. I’m back to my 34s which run all day long. 

• 8 months later...

I had the exact same issue.  I found this website and it gave me some ideas.  I talked to Zev and they sent me a new extractor.  But the OZ9 continued to fail to extract.   I am running a Holoson optic and one of these posts gave me inspiration.  I took out the screws that attach the optic and replaced them with slightly shorter screws.   The problem went away - no more FTEs.   

• 3 weeks later...

Well almost.  I put 150 rounds through the gun (worked perfect) and then the FtEs started again.  I stripped the gun and cleaned the extractor channel.  There was gunk built up and the extractor pin was not moving easily.  That made things better and the gun was extracting again.  Put another 200 rounds through if today.   Then I cleaned the gun and the slide lock button broke off.   I love this gun and it shoots fast and accurate.  But not sure if I can ever get this to reliable. Im not giving up yet - but I’m shooting competition this weekend with my (slower but) reliable g34 (which never fails). 

• 1 month later...

So I had a Stock 34 I put a Zev Frame on and had all kinds of similar issues. 

Complete slide stock 34 parts

Zev Frame with stock trigger parts

Massive FTExtract 

Turns out it needed more extractor tension. Zev recommended their longer extractor rod. 

I bought some of the longer glock bearing for the end of the extractor rod and the issue went away. 

image.thumb.png.dc4ac680dc520610367e631574591e55.png

Gun has been perfectly reliable since. I tried the Apex Extractor and Zev extractors both which have too much grab for a competition gun running lighter springs. 

IMG_4515.thumb.JPG.3bb5417d339a85aef70c01132662901f.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...