Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 - MAIN SPRING? WOLFF, POWER CUSTOM, WILSON COMBAT, MICULEK???

TheGoatMumbler

I can't say I'm real happy with my new 929. After replacing the front sight for something you can actually see (Dawson fiber optic), chamfering the chambers (so a moon clip will slide in easily) and changing the grip, now I have to work on the trigger pull. Mine is awful! I changed the main spring & trigger return spring and installed an extended firing pin in my 686 with good results. But I wonder which mainsprings have been working well in the 929 and what kind of trigger pull should I expect after installing some new springs. I just don't have any desire to spend $300+ to send out a new gun for trigger & action work.

Edited by TheGoatMumbler

I bend a factory spring to look like this one from Miculek.

https://miculek.com/product/miculek-sw-revolver-spring-kit-k-l-n-frame/

Be aware more and more guns are coming with the Wolff power rib spring. I don't really care for these. I prefer a Real[emoji769] tapered mainspring, they bend along their entire length instead of just at the base of the spring.

If your gun has a Wolff in it already, go ahead and buy the kit from Jerry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The factory main spring is just fine and Wolff sells lighter trigger return springs. 

You will want to adjust the length of your strain screw to lighten the main spring and trigger pull, or just use lock tight on the strain screw and adjust it to where you like it, I have done both and so far no issues with the lock tight, but others have had it come loose, I have also bent the main spring to get the weight I wanted but that is more of a pain the the butt.

My competition trigger that is 100% with Federal primes and 90% with Winchesters is about 6.5 lb with a snappy reset (neither primer is hand crushed just as it comes off my LNL) I believe I am running a 11lb return spring, and a factory firing pin.

From what I understand getting down to 5lb ish is not that hard and lighter is possible, the lighter you go the more everything has to be perfect and I'm too lazy to work that hard at ammo. 

I use the stock mainspring and an 11 lb rebound spring.  I loosen the mainspring so that I get complete reset of the trigger with such a light setup... I then Loctite the set screw in place so it doesn't come loose.

If you want to do your own trigger without spending a lot of money get Jerry Miculek's Accuriing Trigger video.  I learned a lot from it.  Get a hard Arkansas Stone from  Brownell's  and then spend a few hours on the interior of you gun...Take your time and NO DREMEL.

I used the stock main spring, polished everything inside, and cut  a 13lb return spring flush with the rebound slide.

I tried a 11lb standard return spring not cut down, but I thought the reset was sluggish.

I cut the hammer down and installed an extended firing pin.

Set the strain screw to you liking and use loctite or stone it down so it tightens all the way.

1 hour ago, AzShooter said:

If you want to do your own trigger without spending a lot of money get Jerry Miculek's Accuriing Trigger video.  I learned a lot from it.  Get a hard Arkansas Stone from  Brownell's  and then spend a few hours on the interior of you gun...Take your time and NO DREMEL.

This right here will give you pretty good results plus you'll learn more about your gun as well.

7 hours ago, AzShooter said:

6 inch will do you fine.

Thanks.  I just got my 929.  I just checked it shows about a 9.5lb trigger pull.    I am probably going to shoot it a little first .  It definitely needs a front sight and some work

12 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Get in touch with ApexTactical.com and order their competiton hammer and extended firing pin.  It will make a vast improvement.  You should be able to get the trigger pull down to around 6.5 pounds or lower.

Is there any advantage to the Apex hammer or any aftermarket hammer over a quality gun Smith lightening the stock hammer?   

30 minutes ago, Timido said:

Is there any advantage to the Apex hammer or any aftermarket hammer over a quality gun Smith lightening the stock hammer?   

Its hard to find  Gunsmith that will do much beyond taking the spur off in the way of lightening, getting most smiths to do a Carmoney style lightening would cause them to have a seizure .

the real answer is probably for $100 you don't irreparably modify your gun

The main advantage to an aftermarket hammer is that you don't have to send your gun across the country for an extended period of time, along with the added shipping costs and possibility of it disappearing somewhere in transit. You can either trade out the parts yourself, or take it to a local smith who (hopefully) knows how to swap parts. Sometimes there is minor fitting needed, or the gun has other problems that need to be corrected. The quality revo smith takes care of whatever needs attention so it's a turnkey deal and the gun is ready to rock N roll when you get it back.

I'm working on a hammer kit that makes the trigger pull get lighter as you pull it back, kind of like a compound bow. The prototype one I'm using now goes from 6 lb. down to 2 lb. right before the hammer falls. This is 100% on Federal primers. It can be dialed up for other primers, starts heavier, but always ends up at around 2 lb. at the end. I'm pretty sure no one has ever figured this out before.

Edited by Toolguy

5 hours ago, Toolguy said:

The main advantage to an aftermarket hammer is that you don't have to send your gun across the country for an extended period of time, along with the added shipping costs and possibility of it disappearing somewhere in transit. You can either trade out the parts yourself, or take it to a local smith who (hopefully) knows how to swap parts. Sometimes there is minor fitting needed, or the gun has other problems that need to be corrected. The quality revo smith takes care of whatever needs attention so it's a turnkey deal and the gun is ready to rock N roll when you get it back.

I'm working on a hammer kit that makes the trigger pull get lighter as you pull it back, kind of like a compound bow. The prototype one I'm using now goes from 6 lb. down to 2 lb. right before the hammer falls. This is 100% on Federal primers. It can be dialed up for other primers, starts heavier, but always ends up at around 2 lb. at the end. I'm pretty sure no one has ever figured this out before.

Warren you’ve been talking about this hammer for years and we still haven’t seen it! When do we get to check this awesome thing out? 

All I really want to know is if the splits are faster than a standard hammer?

18 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Years ago I saw a revolver with roller bearings inside. It was cool, but never made it past the prototype stage.

Charlie Priest, the guy that produced the 8 shot revolvers on Smith 28s did a roller bearing on my gun.  WOW what a difference it made.  Extremely smooth action.  I wish I would have kept it but in my youth, when I bought a new gun I sold my old ones.  

Sorry I spelled Charlie's name wrong.  Thanks YRRacer for correcting me.

Edited by AzShooter
Spelling

17 hours ago, MWP said:

Warren you’ve been talking about this hammer for years and we still haven’t seen it! When do we get to check this awesome thing out? 

All I really want to know is if the splits are faster than a standard hammer?

Yep - It's been a long time. A lot of the time that project has sat on the shelf while I was trying to pay the bills. Time and funding have been in short supply for quite a while. Right now I'm trying to finish the programming and engineering drawings and file a patent. It will still be a while, but I'm hoping to have a product ready by summer.

I still prefer the feel of a well tuned 5 or 6 pound conventional trigger. This kit is for those who don't want to send their gun off or don't have access to a good revo smith within a reasonable distance (good ones are few and far between these days). The advantage of the kit will be the ability to have a much better than factory trigger with good control of the sight alignment at the end of the pull. It will be user adjustable for all the different primers.

The splits will not be faster than you can already run your trigger finger without more practice.

Edited by Toolguy

8 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Charlie Press, the guy that produced the 8 shot revolvers on Smith 28s did a roller bearing on my gun.  WOW what a difference it made.  Extremely smooth action.  I wish I would have kept it but in my youth, when I bought a new gun I sold my old ones.  

Charlie Priest

18 hours ago, MWP said:

Can't wait to try one someday, maybe on a 10 shot revolver ?

SJC

So my shopping list so far would include.

Jerry's trigger job video

Apex Trigger

Apex firing pin

6" stone

honing oil

Kuhnhausen Manual

Dawson sight

What main spring would you recommend I try .  I have Winchester primers but will get federals if I need to.

Thegoatmumbler  I hope you don't mind me asking additional questions on your post