Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Press

vince

Happy Birthday to me... another Hornady LNL AP press on the bench. Couple hours from mounting it to making loads. Runs 100% flawless, just like my other ones do.

I installed the Hornady bullet feeder die... the one with the tube you have to fill. Cleaned the powder measure, wiped EEZOX on it to keep the flash rust away from the drum.

Now off to the shop to build another case feeder system for the latest new LNL AP press. I opted NOT to buy the Hornady case & bullet feeders, they seem to be garbage in my opinion.

Happy Birthday to me... another Hornady LNL AP press on the bench. Couple hours from mounting it to making loads. Runs 100% flawless, just like my other ones do.
I installed the Hornady bullet feeder die... the one with the tube you have to fill. Cleaned the powder measure, wiped EEZOX on it to keep the flash rust away from the drum.
Now off to the shop to build another case feeder system for the latest new LNL AP press. I opted NOT to buy the Hornady case & bullet feeders, they seem to be garbage in my opinion.

I totally agree with not liking the Hornady case feeder problems. I had a lot of problems with my LNL which is why I ended up getting rid of it, but 80% of it was case feeding related. Probably 50% at the feeder, and the other 30% where the shell gets pushed into the shell plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I totally agree with not liking the Hornady case feeder problems. I had a lot of problems with my LNL which is why I ended up getting rid of it, but 80% of it was case feeding related. Probably 50% at the feeder, and the other 30% where the shell gets pushed into the shell plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, the case feeder hornady has, is a problem child in my opinion. The electric motors dont seem to last either.(CHINA!) I build my own case feeders, and they work, and they are WAYYYYY cheaper for me to build than what hornady, dillon, and any other electronic one made out there. The case feeding design hornady has, there isnt alot room for error when it comes to feeding the case into the shell plate. Its all in the timing. Its an ok system, but you gotta look past the case feeding system itself. Everything has to be timed perfectly. A dragging shell plate (shell plate bearing spring pressure is to much) is one of the biggest things people miss. If that shell plate drags, and its slow to get in the right detente position just at the exact moment that it should, all bets are off. If you pop the bearings back up into the shell plate with a punch a little, you fix one of the biggest issues that the LNL AP has. Once you relieve some of that bearing spring pressure, the shell plate flys around that sub-plate sooooo much smoother, and you eliminate the snappy powder jumping problem just about to zero issues. You have to add some timing to the left pawl after removing some bearing spring pressure from the shell plate to complete the index timing so that the bearings fall into the detentes at the right moment. Once you do that, you hardly ever have to adjust anything again for a very long time. Other than for the normal wear as time goes by.

As for the LNL AP, i have to stay with LNL. It would cost me WAYYYY to much to get all set up with a dillon, (as much as i would love to have the new XL750) or any other big name out there. I also think its ridiculous what they get for caliber conversions. To replace all my hornady calibers, i would surpass $5,000 to get set up in a XL750 to load all the calibers that i load for. Just dosent make economical sense for me to change, now. I have zero problems with the LNL AP presses, they just run 100% flawless for me. But then again, its all i`ve ever been around, so i know what it takes to make them work 100%. Most people that buy them dont understand them. I think ALL presses have their quirks... most brands are pretty good at making these progressive presses run decent, once you understand them.

Exception to LEE, as i am not a fan of their presses at all. Those are for the guys that dont reload everyday, and just wanna run off a box or two of ammo once in awhile. Nothing wrong with that either, its just not a brand that has ever held up good for me. LEE is good for the guys that want to get into reloading. But like anything, you get what you pay for, when it comes to reloading gear.

Edited by vince