Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Aftec extractor

Rvajma

Was having extraction issues at a match yesterday and pulled aftec at home.  Was cracked and holding on by a minute thread between the springs.  Looks like metal failure to me.  On a 9mm open pistol with about 2k from previous owner and another 1.5k from me.  Thoughts?  Are these warrantied, and is it transferrable?

aftec.JPG

I would definitely contact them about it. They should be hardened I believe. I have two in different guns with many thousands of rounds. Springs and cap have broken but good to go otherwise

On 2/9/2020 at 10:35 AM, yigal said:

simple 20$ spring steel tuned  extr. will do this job much better.

yeah but they would have to get a new firing pin stop and fit it, since the old one is fit for an aftec. So, it'd end up being probably the same cost as just getting a replacement aftec

I put 150k min on one.  Simply changed it because it was one of those things that just created doubt and kept me waking up at 2am screaming ... well not really that bad.  I change springs on my birthday but keep it clean as buildup in the extractor chamber places stress in areas not intended when then tool the steel and grain direction.

1 hour ago, RGC said:

I put 150k min on one.  Simply changed it because it was one of those things that just created doubt and kept me waking up at 2am screaming ... well not really that bad.  I change springs on my birthday but keep it clean as buildup in the extractor chamber places stress in areas not intended when then tool the steel and grain direction.

Best advice on this thread. You have to keep things clean in there and about 1-2k rounds, take it out and clean it all up. 

To the OP, this is the wonder of buying used. You just never know how many rounds really went through that gun. "2k from previous owner". I seriously doubt that. 

AFTECs are pretty hard steel.  They're not supposed to be bent, like a standard extractor.  That's why the springs are there.  If it was bent or modified, that's probably when it cracked.  Just took a while before it actually migrated through and failed entirely.  It's a terrific product when used as intended.