Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest PD 124 JHP loads at standard pressure

BryceA

I have some 124 PD's I picked up during their amazing black Friday deal and am thinking of loading some to mimic the recoil of defensive ammo for training purposes. I'm hoping to get them close to 1150 fps without exceeding standard pressures. They will be coming out of a stock Glock Gen5 so the AOL will probably be pretty short to properly plunk, or at least I read. There is published data for 124 JHP but the OALs seem unlikely to happen so I'm curious what others are doing to safely get these beauties moving quick.

Edited by BryceA

Pretty sure 3n37 was developed to make 9 major in standard pressures.

I made major with 124's and a hefty charge of 3n37 in a stock pistol, which was roughly 1400 fps. 3n37, hs6 and autocomp should get you there

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, nhyrum said:

Pretty sure 3n37 was developed to make 9 major in standard pressures.

Not even close.

Bryce, I use Major Pistol powder for major loads.  It is a very compressible powder so you'll have no problems with loading short.

124gr FMJ @ 1.169" OAL:  start 7.6gr for 1132fps.  max 8.6 for 1246fps @ 33600psi.  Since you will be loading a lot shorter, start a little under starting load and work up.  You will still be well under max pressure when you get to 1150fps.  Faster powders like WAC or Silhouette won't get you there unless you are willing to go over max standard pressure.  VV N340, N350 and 3N37 will also get you there.  So will N330, but right at max.

I used Alliant Power Pistol to test some RMR 124 JHP loaded at 1.08 OAL.

It was based on a recipe from this forum and tested in a Walther PPQ SF - so a 5" barrel.

**Standard disclaimers apply:  Build workup loads backed off 10% from listed charge and check for pressure signs as you go.

Using RP brass and Remington SP primers;

5.4 gr of Power Pistol pushed a RMR 124 JHP to a 10 shot average of 1165 for an average 144 power factor.

The high end of these work up loads had a charge of 5.8 gr with a (ten shot) average of 1209 and 150 power factor.

Alliant official data on their web page shows a Speer GDHP with an OAL of 1.12 in a 4 inch (test) barrel with CCI 500 primer using a charge weight of 6.4 for 1157

HS-6 seems popular and I suspect I can find it in stores. Anybody have anything good to say about CFE Pistol for pushing a 9mm fast at standard pressure? I've seen that in every store I've gone to. I was looking for BE-86, rumored to have the good parts of Power Pistol without the shock and awe fireballs, but I have yet to find it locally. A powder that would double as a good 200 gr 40 S&W gamer powder would be great and a clean burning one would be fantastic. I have some WSF but from the published data I don't think it's going to get me where I want to be, at least not safely.

2 hours ago, BryceA said:

Seek and have yet to find, at least locally. :)

N350 is another good, albeit expensive choice.  It is my current preferred SD powder as it has almost zero flash and achieves good velocities.  I get 1050fps from my P10C with a 147gr HST. 

I’ve used 6grs of power pistol with 124 gr bullets for years, has been very accurate load in several different pistols never noticed any fire balls in that day time lol. I got some b-86 several months back and it seems just as good as power Pistol just takes a bit less of it. Both will give top end velocity.

1 hour ago, Dwbsig said:

never noticed any fire balls

Truth be told I've never seen the actual power pistol fireball but at one match a gentleman squadded with me who was shooting power pistol loads and it was incredibly loud. That may be true in general for slower burning powders, but it was notable at the time. I'm still holding out hope for some BE-86 but I haven't see it and Hodgdon powders are all over around here. I was hoping for good news from CFE but so far nobody seems to have an opinion. I would love to get VV powders but it's even more rare around here. Worst case I can probably deal with the shock and awe of power pistol (which seems prevalent), but I'm holding out for alternatives for now. Sounds like HS6 is pretty dirty which is as bad or worse than loud in my book.

11 hours ago, BryceA said:

I was hoping for good news from CFE

CFE is essentially Autocomp with copper fouling eliminator added.  If you look at Hodgdon's data, 1120fps is the max load for a 124 at 33,800 psi.  That's with a 4" barrel.  OAL is not stated.  If you are willing to go into +P pressures, a max load of CFE might get you there.

Look, this isn't rocket science.  Your gun makes you load short.  That significantly raises pressures.  There is a very, very noticeable difference between 1.160, 1.150, 1 145 and 1.140 OAL in the same load.  So you only have two options if you want to stay within SAAMI standard pressures.  They are: get the barrel throated so you can load longer, or use powders slower than HS-6.  If you can't find them locally, order online.  Graf's charges $12.99 hazmat per shipment and $10 shipping per order (no matter how large).

4 hours ago, rooster said:

This website is awesome on 9mm  reloading data. Click around on everything as there’s a ton of info but you have to search for it.
to www.natoreloading.com.

This sight was really helpful, thank you. Based on the info there I ended up buying a pound of AutoComp to start out. Hodgdon also has data for 135 coated bullets which I have a ton of so can also try a high end load of that and see how it feels.

I tried out AutoComp today with mixed results. It's definitely closer to a defensive load in terms of recoil, but not quite to where I want to be and I might have been seeing pressure signs so overall a bit of a failure. I tried three loads, 4.36gr, 4.6gr, and 4.96gr with a BB 135 TC with an AOL of 1.120." The Hodgdon data for an acme 135 says 4.2gr to 5.0gr with an AOL of 1.150" so I had to load quite a bit shorter on AOL but it's hard to compare the bullets directly. The two lower charges were fine, not as soft as my Sport Pistol loads but not a defensive load impulse either so in no mans land. The last one was pretty close to a defensive load in terms of recoil impulse but the CCI primers were starting to flatten a tiny bit which is a no-go for me considering their reputation for being really stiff. This is my first time approaching max loads so perhaps it's fine and I just don't know what I'm talking about but it seems smart to err on the side of safety with this activity.

So, back to the drawing board. :)

Data Summary for Gen5 G19 (DANGER: NOT a recommendation, just my own experimentation which may have errors!)

image.thumb.png.053a5e1bd5d6f8b9462b2fe1fbae8203.png