Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag change tips for colt mags

So I run a PPC that uses Colt mags. The only downside I see to that system is mag changes. So far the best solution I’ve found for making mag changes easier is to download a 32 round magazine to 21 rounds and make sure the top round in the magazine is on the right side. Top right round is the biggest trick I’ve found in make the mag change easier and more consistent. So does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? 

Thanks, Ryan

I switched to Glock mags specifically because I got tired of this issue. Downloaded by a full ten rounds with the ideal round sticking up, it still simply isn’t consistent during a match unless you deliver a Street Fighter II style palm heel strike to the magazine after you insert it. HA DO KEN!

31+10 glock mag? Download by one and it clicks in like a factory mag into a handgun. With the bolt closed.

Colt operators tip: On unloaded starts. Pick gun and mag up from table. Insert mag. Slam gun down onto the mag before leaving the table. Rack bolt. Enjoy not having the mag fall out anymore.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

When I ran a Colt I didn't find any difference in top round right or left. I downloaded maybe 2-3 rounds, that's all. Mainly i just had to give the mag a good slap on the bottom to make sure it seated.

Edited by egd5
7 hours ago, egd5 said:

When I ran a Colt I didn't find any difference in top round right or left. I downloaded maybe 2-3 rounds, that's all. Mainly i just had to give the mag a good slap on the bottom to make sure it seated.

this …..

I’m not talking about any issues, I still feel that the Colt mag system is better then the  Glock mag system except for reloads. Loading a magazine on a closed bolt in the colt system is NOT easy. I’m just looking for anyone’s tricks or mods to make reloads easier. My PCC runs great and is very reliable, like I said everything is great except reloads. 

The only time I reload mine are classifers or standard with mandatory reloads

my bolt locks back and I use a bad lever

if it is a 6 reload 6 stage, I only load 6 rounds in the mag, , shoot to bolt lock, reload hit the bad lever and engage

if it’s an empty gun start, trigger finger on the bottom of the bad lever pushing up, left hand palm on the charging handle, on the beep, left hand shoves the charging handle to the rear, upward pressure on the bad lever locks the bolt open, Grab a mag, load, hit the bad lever to drop the bolt

it takes longer than simply ramming a mag home and racking, but it more positive and less chance of having the mag fall out

and I love tip of using the table to seat the mag, I gonna try that