Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 .40 Minor Recoil Spring

HCH

I think I’m going to mess around in Production for a while with my XDM 5.25 .40. What recoil spring have you guys been running for Minor loads? My pistol is completely stock and I have been having some stove pipes here and there with the factory spring. I figure the gun will run fine with a 16lb but was curious if anyone had been using a 14lb for Minor loads. 

Current load is a 180 cast bullet and 3.2 grains of Titegroup ~135PF. 

swap down to the 14# spring and you should be good. I played in Prod for a while with 5.25 in 40 and shoot one in IDPA ESP, using about 140pf ammo (I just swap out 155gr bullets instead of 180s on my regular major load). I run 14# springs and haven't had any issues, not even when I did powderpuff 180gr minor loads like you're describing. The only time I did have issues running the 14# spring was when testing out some 140gr bullets (again same load as the 180gr major loads, just swap bullets) and they were around 115-120pf. 

I played with mine also like that for a bit just to try it just because that was my first and only “competition” pistol and was shooting limited major to start. Wanted to try production and figured why not load it down. 
180s at around 730 fps. 
Cycled fine with both 14-16lb recoil spring  but ran 16lb mostly for quicker slide back on target. Fun experiment and if the 5.25 40 was my only gun I’d recommend doing it as you could go from production minor bunny fart loads and right back  to limited Major with ease. 

My XDm 5.25 in 40 S&W won't cycle minor (133 PF) ammo reliably with the 16 lb recoil spring I use for major PF ammo (171 PF).  It will stovepipe every 2-3 rounds. 

It's 100% reliable with minor PF ammo with a 14 lb recoil spring, though! 

• 3 months later...

I’ve ran a Wolff 15# in my 40Tac since mid 2000’.......180gr true minor load.... won ESP EX in my state back then.   Same spring Lots of rounds thru yesterday.   Took it out Yesterday to see if it’s sacked out..... after laying it beside a new one I put the old one back in as I could Not see any noticeable diff

H

• 4 months later...