Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match, DQ'd for "Unsafe Gun Handling"

ard212

ard212

It is not an IPSC rule. Some ranges, both indoor and outdoor have their own set of requirements. At the front of the rulebook that you received when you took your training course, does it state that some local rules have priority over the rulebook? If it is a range rule, that could be why the RM begrudgingly upheld the call.

I understand that it is disheartening getting DQ'd at your novice match, but as ima45dv8 stated, take your course again, and have fun.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ard

It's hard for me to give you a lot of advice based on "facts" in your case … I really don't have much to go on.  As you indicate you're from Argentina I recommend you contact a good friend of mine down there … Jose Zarate.  Jose is an IROA certified RM from Argentina.  He shouldn't be all that hard for you to get in contact with.  I've known him for quite a number of years and he's quite good at what he does.  (He's also likely quite likely familiar with the range where you shoot and the people involved!)  Run your questions past him and see if you can get an answer that makes sense.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, WaltMel said:

ard212

It is not an IPSC rule. Some ranges, both indoor and outdoor have their own set of requirements. At the front of the rulebook that you received when you took your training course, does it state that some local rules have priority over the rulebook? If it is a range rule, that could be why the RM begrudgingly upheld the call.

I understand that it is disheartening getting DQ'd at your novice match, but as ima45dv8 stated, take your course again, and have fun.

Add another reason IPSC is worse than USPSA

46 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

And taking a class before you can shoot

And living in countries where the cops tell you where/when/how/what you can shoot or own

Lest we forget...

Restricted Content
Politics
Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.
Specifically including (but not limited to):
• USPSA vs IPSC
• IPSC vs IDPA
• STI vs SVI
• Limited 10 vs Limited Division
• This Division vs That Division
• This Government vs That Government
• Gun Control Issues

8 hours ago, Cardinal said:

Normally the RO writes down the exact rules which was broken and lead to the DQ on score sheet. And informs the RM/area RM.

So the competitor should have a clear answer to why they were DQ, even if they dont agree with it.

As perttime mentions missing a target on its own isnt a DQ under IPSC. But there are sometimes range restrictions and violating those can lead to a DQ. As an example we have had rifle matches on a military range where pointing the barrel over the berm is a violation. Reason being the range is situated under the approach and departure lanes to Norway's largest airport and also population in the area behind the berms. Military ranges also often have less than 180 deg fire angles. In such cases it must clearly be mentioned in the WSB and also ahead of the match.

I think I'm gonna ask for that report this  Wednesday  when the range opens. I'm gonna have to wait one or two months before giving it another go, the heat is just too f*#king much during our summer.

Edited by ard212

3 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Lest we forget...

Restricted Content
Politics
Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.
Specifically including (but not limited to):
• USPSA vs IPSC
• IPSC vs IDPA
• STI vs SVI
• Limited 10 vs Limited Division
• This Division vs That Division
• This Government vs That Government
• Gun Control Issues

Roger that.  Sorry.

13 hours ago, ard212 said:

I think I'm gonna ask for that report this  Wednesday  when the range opens. I'm gonna have to wait one or two months before giving it another go, the heat is just too f*#king much during our summer.

Respectfully, I'd recommend moving on.  If you keep digging and digging into this you're going to alienate yourself from the RO, RM and the organization itself.

What do you hope to gain?  They're not going to reverse the DQ.  You're a new shooter who was warned on one stage and DQ'd on a subsequent stage for the same thing you were warned about.  In the mind of the RO, RM, and anyone else in the organization it will be an open and shut issue.  I believe you're telling the truth with your side of the story, but we don't get the OTHER side of the story from what the RO was seeing.  From his eyes there was a problem with the way you were shooting.

It was just a DQ.  It's part of the game and it happens frequently.  It even happens to experienced shooters.

Go to the range and practice between now and your next match so you won't miss ANY targets.

This might hurt, but if 2 people agreed to send you home, then honestly I'm thinking they thought you looked wild with the gun and that you didn't have enough experience to be running around with one, shooting at stuff you can't hit. They probably thought you just generally weren't safe enough and, rules be damned, weren't going to let you keep going.
If you have video from the match we'd love to see it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I am surprised that nobody has suggested you simply ask the RO and RM for advice on how to avoid a future DQ due to the same type of situation. I would suck my ego up and ask for their help. You might find that they appreciate you asking them, and your future matches will become more enjoyable. 

7 hours ago, nso123 said:

I am surprised that nobody has suggested you simply ask the RO and RM for advice on how to avoid a future DQ due to the same type of situation. I would suck my ego up and ask for their help. You might find that they appreciate you asking them, and your future matches will become more enjoyable. 

Good advice here.
As others have said, missing a target is not a DQ, but this particular range construction may have made it unsafe. The best approach is a "please explain what I did wrong so I don't do it again". It's an attitude officials like to see in a shooter.

As for shooting again, d'oh...of course you'll carry on!

Well, at an indoor range, miss a mobile bullet catch, 2meters away , 2 times in a row, hitting the sidewalls of the range, while doing a slow and secure pace, would be unsafe gun handling, at least in my eyes.

But i don´t know if that was the case.

Edited by bimmer1980