Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holosun 510c on Horizontal Mount?

mvmojo

I run a C-More on a horizontal mount on my open gun but like the circle-dot combo on the Holosun.  Has anyone mounted a Holosun 510c on a horizontal mount?  I'm considering buying one for my open gun but they sure look like they sit high in all the pictures I've seen. 

I have not seen one mounted like that. I feel like it would not be an ideal optic to turn over on its side- the circle shape of the more makes the glass seem the same from either orientation, with the holosun i feel like it would be odd. It really doesn’t seem to sit high to me. Once you take the rail mount and the putter shell off the top it’s not bad. I went from a delta point pro to a holosun and i love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They do sit pretty high, but the main thing is the width.  I have seen ejection problems with the 510c on low mounts as a result of how wide they are.

Trying a horizontal mount makes sense to me.  It would give a nice, tall window as well.

A nice tall window is what I'm thinking too.  Just don't know whether I can find a mount that would center the window on the barrel... might have to fabricate one with the correct offset.  Would be nice to find measurements of the 510c to be able to determine how far off to the side it would have to be mounted to center it up.  Could somebody measure one from the base (without the mount) to the center of the window and let me know?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've ordered a Holosun 510c and will try it on a horizontal mount.  I may have to modify the mount my C-More is on to make it fit.  Hopefully the center of the optic will align closely (if not perfectly) with the center of the barrel axis.  More to come.

If you mount the 510c horizontally you wont be able to change the battery without taking it off the mount, unless you are able to make a mount that will give you access to the battery tray. Also the horizontal adjustment will be facing down towards the mount but that shouldn't be as much of an issue, only need a small hole in the mount to adjust that.

1 hour ago, sean_stw said:

If you mount the 510c horizontally you wont be able to change the battery without taking it off the mount, unless you are able to make a mount that will give you access to the battery tray. Also the horizontal adjustment will be facing down towards the mount but that shouldn't be as much of an issue, only need a small hole in the mount to adjust that.

Removing the slide may give enough clearance. 

Thanks for the heads up on battery and windage (now elevation) adjustment.  I dealt with that with my horizontally mounted C-More railway.  Fortunately the mount is aluminum and easy to drill out a slot to access the adjustment.  As for the battery, re-zeroing every 10,000+ hours with the Holosun is probably acceptable!  Looking forward to giving this a try.

1 hour ago, mvmojo said:

re-zeroing every 10,000+ hours with the Holosun is probably acceptable!  Looking forward to giving this a try.

True it shouldnt be a huge deal just if it stopped working during a match it would suck to have to rezero it during the match, but cool thing with the 510c is the solar backup so you would still have that option to fall back on if needed 

42 minutes ago, sean_stw said:

True it shouldnt be a huge deal just if it stopped working during a match it would suck to have to rezero it during the match, but cool thing with the 510c is the solar backup so you would still have that option to fall back on if needed 

I'm kinda thinking that the solar backup will be significantly negated if mounted horizontally.  Unless early morning or late afternoon, probably not too much direct sun rays will be getting to the solar panel...

9 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

I'm kinda thinking that the solar backup will be significantly negated if mounted horizontally

I agree with that, the solar function isnt great to begin with but it does work and i would only use it if I had no other option. I really wish holosun would get rid of the solar function so they could make the 510c a bit smaller thats the only complaint i have with it.

13 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

I'm kinda thinking that the solar backup will be significantly negated if mounted horizontally.  Unless early morning or late afternoon, probably not too much direct sun rays will be getting to the solar panel...

The solar panel also charges an internal supercapacitor. The 510C will work with no battery, in the pitch dark, if it has a charged capacitor. 

The capacitor idea is pretty cool.  I'm not really worried about battery life since it's rated for 20,000 hrs with circle and dot at maximum brightness.  I probably use it 15-20 hrs per month max I'd expect to get at least 83 years out of it (assuming my math is right - not my strong suit)!  Not gonna live that long.  If left on 100% of the time in constant motion (so shake-awake never comes into play) the battery should last over 2 years without any solar boost.  Even though I turn the dot off when the gun isn't being used, I'll probably change the battery once a year just 'cause I can!  I've got the 507c mounted to my gun now but looking forward to trying the larger window of the 510c.

48 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

The solar panel also charges an internal supercapacitor. The 510C will work with no battery, in the pitch dark, if it has a charged capacitor. 

The capacitor isnt quite the same as a battery it will hold a charge for a little bit but if its a partly cloudy day for instance the dot will change brightness as it goes in and out of sunlight. with it on its just like a auto adjust red dot. For competition its not ideal but usable if you have no other option.

I also wouldnt worry about battery life either. I've had the same battery for a couple years in my 510c and it was still working, I just changed it before a major match just in case but im sure even if I hadn't change it it would keep going through all this season too.

Edited by sean_stw

I don’t think the solar function will be affected.  The majority of the solar we get is while holstered.  Assuming you have a standard vertical holster, sun exposure will be very similar - if not a little better with the solar panel facing completely away from your body.  

if it’s not holstered and is laying on its side on a table, sun exposure will also be better.

Finally got a Holosun 510c horizontally mounted on my STI SteelMaster.  The mount is temporary at this point.  Had to fabricate some spacers out of aluminum bar stock and the centerline of the optic isn't quite over the center of the bore, but it's close enough for proof of concept.  Once I've shot it some, I'll go back and make a proper mount where everything aligns.  But, so far, I love the huge vertical window!  Here's a couple of pics.  Sorry, the dot/circle shows up as just a dot in the picture...

20200228_174407[1].jpg

20200228_174412[1].jpg

20200228_174504[1].jpg

Going to the range tomorrow morning to try it out.  In dry firing, I really like the large window.  However, I also noticed that the "hump" on the back of the optic does obscure part of the window.  This is probably because it's not quite centered on the bore axis, something I can correct with a permanent mount.

Shot an 8 stage Steel Challenge match this past weekend with the horizontally mounted Holosun 510c.  It worked out well.  I really like the tall window.  And while the 65 moa circle is very easy to pick up on the draw and with target transitions, in my opinion it's a little large for shooting small plates (like the 8" plates in Pendulum for example).  For me, the perfect optic would be the large 510c window with the 507c 32 moa circle/dot.  But, for now I'm going to leave the 510c on the gun and gain some more experience with it.  Experimenting with options is part of the fun!