Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Coated Bullets

ekraus

I am having an issue with Polymer Coated Bullets. 2 different manufactures.

One 115g and the other 147g. This is the first time I have used Coated.

Here is what i found with both loaded at the same length. 1.140.

They won't go in my case gauge rim sticking up +-.0625. The plunk test in a KKM barrel  doesn't work.

I have pushed a test round bullet in until it fit in the case gauge with an OAL 1.085 (115g).

So I am wondering if anyone has seen this.

The funny thing is Berrys and Extreme plated don't exhibit this problem. at lengths to 1.150.

Comparing the shapes (all RN) the plated have a more tapered point with the shoulder starting further back from the point both having a diameter of .355.

They will cycle but I am having some issues cambering some..

I need to do some more testing but for now I am going back to plated.

Not my question. As stated 2 manufactures.So here they are. Blue and Gallant bullets.

These brands have a high shoulder I am sure others don't. Would like to try Coated but not looking to have compressed loads. And how many re loaders case gauge there ammo?

When you run out of what you normally shoot you use all the crap you have laying around. And I have plenty of it. Mainly won or got free.

Back to my staple plated Berrys or Xtreme!

Here are a couple quick thoughts that come to mind after reading your post. 
It would appear that it’s the base of your case not fitting   Case gauge. Make sure your depriming resizing die is almost touching the shell plate I slide a piece of paper underneath mine and that’s how I just the depth in the tool head. Also make sure your Your diet is reaching close to your shell plate meaning that your press is going all the way to the bottom and you’re getting a full stroke. 
You can test if it’s your case by resizing three cases without anything else and see if they pass your  case gauge
Also make sure you blow out the Case gauge with a little bit of air it doesn’t take much to plug them up and give you a false reading. 

Here are a couple quick thoughts that come to mind after reading your post. 
It would appear that it’s the base of your case not fitting   Case gauge. Make sure your depriming resizing die is almost touching the shell plate I slide a piece of paper underneath mine and that’s how I just the depth in the tool head. Also make sure your Your diet is reaching close to your shell plate meaning that your press is going all the way to the bottom and you’re getting a full stroke. 
You can test if it’s your case by resizing three cases without anything else and see if they pass your  case gauge
Also make sure you blow out the Case gauge with a little bit of air it doesn’t take much to plug them up and give you a false reading. 
He said if he seated deeper, they gauge.

Use the case gauge. Adjust oal till your ammo fits the gauge and plunks. Each one will be different. Coated are also a totally different animal than plated or jacketed. Use the gauge, adjust your seating and load accordingly

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, ekraus said:

Not my question. As stated 2 manufactures.So here they are. Blue and Gallant bullets.

These brands have a high shoulder I am sure others don't. Would like to try Coated but not looking to have compressed loads. And how many re loaders case gauge there ammo?

When you run out of what you normally shoot you use all the crap you have laying around. And I have plenty of it. Mainly won or got free.

Back to my staple plated Berrys or Xtreme!

Respectfully, I don't understand how that didn't answer your question.

Different bullets can need to be seated differently.  For ACME 124gr coated bullets I sit at 1.12 and they gauge and plunk just fine.  For Brazos 125gr coated I have to sit at 1.08 to gauge and plunk.

Not sure what you mean about "compressed loads".  There's plenty of room in the case whether they're seated at 1.12 or 1.08 with Bullseye, Titegroup, and Clean Shot.

Thanks for the responses. I cant uses these with slow powders in my open gun even though I am not loading 9 major Just 9 Full Power.

So anyone know any coated bullets with a more pronounced round nose?

9 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Not sure what you mean about "compressed loads".  There's plenty of room in the case whether they're seated at 1.12 or 1.08 with Bullseye, Titegroup, and Clean Shot.

Yes TG  and other fast powders are ok, but no gas for the comp.

I use 3g of tg on 147's, but not in my open gun for my PCC and CO gun.

I ran out of 124's Berrys and I am not wasting my PD's or Montanas  for practice, so all I had was these 115's.

And nobody in my club wants them.

N340, N350 almost fill the case. HS6 is also a problem at 1.085.

These bullets sit aprox .221 in the case. To make it in the case gauge. Some cases its a real problem.

5 hours ago, ekraus said:

Thanks for the responses. I cant uses these with slow powders in my open gun even though I am not loading 9 major Just 9 Full Power.

So anyone know any coated bullets with a more pronounced round nose?

I guarantee these will load long and will not “compress” your powder. 

https://precisionbullets.com/product/9mm-356-diameter/

New-115-Profile-1.jpg

If the Flat Nose is an isssue these have a more tapered RN

https://www.snscasting.com/new-red-9mm-115-grain-round-nose-coated-500ct/

Red_115__35034.1461680691.1280.1280.jpg?

Both profiles load longer

Edited by HesedTech

12 hours ago, HesedTech said:

I guarantee these will load long and will not “compress” your powder. 

https://precisionbullets.com/product/9mm-356-diameter/
If the Flat Nose is an isssue these have a more tapered RN

https://www.snscasting.com/new-red-9mm-115-grain-round-nose-coated-500ct/

Both profiles load longer

I'll try them. Thanks

I load Blue Bullets for my Czechmate open gun.  Don't worry about the case gauge for now. do the push test on your KKM barrel with the 115 gn blue bullets. If your barrel will take 1.130" or longer with the 115gn bullet you will be good to go.  Do not try to use 147gn for an open load!  the bullet is long and does not leave much room in the case for powder.  I use a lot of N350, load 115gn & 125gn Blue Bullets. I compress N350 all the time with no problem.  I load 115gn Blue RN with 7.0gn @ 1.130" for steel challenge. They make 156pf. 7.0gn N350 with a 125gn blue @ 1.150" 169pf.

I case gauge all my reloads. Not all case gauges are the same. you can test your gauge.  Take a unloaded bullet and drop it your case gauge, if it dose not fall all the way through sell it and get a new one that will led the bullet fall all the way through.