Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner need help with choosing basic gear

MFM22

I've seen many that suggest  start with what you have before buying "competition " rig. Not sure I want to go that route 

I'm willing to spend a few bucks  & don't see the sense in using a regular leather belt and a cheap holster etc.

I can understand if your under financial constraints  but in looking around it seems $200 -300 gets a good rig 

I'm going to use my Glock 34 G5 and will need belt , holster, mag pouch ,   This will be for USPSA  production .

i know I'm a complete newbie but if I need to practice it makes sense to have good solid tools 

At my age it's more a necessity than luxury .   Never having drawn a pistol from hip will take lots of reps and figured that in itself is reason to have a good set up that doesn't need to be changed any time soon 

I live in an anti gun state (NY) and most if practice will be dry fire and indoor ranges. Hoping to find some outdoor facilities here on Long Island soon 

thanks in advance for any suggestions 

I would definitely grab a solid belt, pouches, and holster. Ben stoeger has some good packages in his online store.

when I started, first thing I did was buy a good belt. Those lgs budget mag pouches and holster went on a DAA belt and it made a world of difference.

shooting is an expensive sport, I think most of the saying of waiting to buy stuff is to keep some new shooters from feeling like they need a 2011 to compete.

I started with just a sturdy leather belt and some clipon mag pouches. I now own many belts and mag pouches that are just sitting around. If it were me, I'd go straight for the competition rig. I basically just bought every tier along the way.

Ironically, I would have saved money just going for the competition rig. 

I used to live on LI. It never once occurred to me that guns were even accessible until I moved to Georgia. Where on the island are you?

Edited by lroy

Appreciate the advice . I was looking at the Ben Stoeger packages - seems like a good option - [ all good gear ]

In my old age I've subscribed to the   "buy once , cry once !" theory with many things [ within reason ] 

I'm in Massapequa park [ last town in Nassau- Before Suffolk] .  Freeport has a Club with Range & has some matches - waiting for the sign up .

Edited by MFM22

The ben stoeger pro shop’s package is a good choice. Some of us prefer a different holster belt or magpouch brand, but that’s personal preference.

My only addition in production is an extra mag pouch. I like carrying 6 on the belt for those rare weird stages, and for when things go horribly arwy.

Like a lot of guys already said...Buy once cry once. You'll end up spending more money swapping out parts down the road.

That being said, if you are on a tight budget, spend the money on a high quality belt first. As far as everything else goes, I ran a comp-tac holster and hanger for years and ghost pouches. They are all pretty affordable. The holster and hanger have all been upgraded, but I still use and love the ghost pouches. 

1 hour ago, Armedinmd said:

I went with an ELS belt because I wanted to do 3 gun, but I saw lots of recommendations for the Ben Stoeger kit. 

I would agree with ELS if you plan on doing 3gun.

I went the cheap route and made kydex adapters for els clips so I can secure then on my DAA belt.

9 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I would agree with ELS if you plan on doing 3gun.

I went the cheap route and made kydex adapters for els clips so I can secure then on my DAA belt.

Could you post pictures of those adapters or link to them. Haven't heard of that before.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, MFM22 said:

Appreciate the advice . I was looking at the Ben Stoeger packages - seems like a good option - [ all good gear ]

In my old age I've subscribed to the   "buy once , cry once !" theory with many things [ within reason ]

Agree with your approach.  Nothing wrong with buying sport specific gear (instead of starting with makeshift stuff) if you know what works and what's junk and it's obvious you know the difference.

Even if you don't end up staying in the sport for whatever reason, it's easier to resell quality gear made for the game than cheap junk like Fobus or Uncle Mike's.

• 5 months later...

+1 for ELS.  Being think in the middle as myself, Sometimes the holster and hanger angles don't work in your favor.  The ELS belt is a very sturdy platform and the Forks and receivers allow me to quickly swap out pouches to shoot different divisions/guns.

irregardless of what rig you go for, get the best gear you can afford, it will last you a long time.

--BF

On 2/12/2020 at 3:32 PM, tdp88 said:

DAA belt, DAA or Ghost pouches, and a boss hanger with either bladetech, unicorn, or redhill holster. 

This is what i did since I had a few bladetech and comptac holsters already. Working great so far and see no need for a fancier holster yet.  I did buy the stainless adjustable screws to tighten/loosen the tension by hand

On 2/12/2020 at 7:27 PM, MFM22 said:

It's decided.  Went with Ben Stoeger Comp package.    Looking forward to getting it and practicing 

thanks for the advice 

I'm in the same boat… new to USPSA, going to be shooting production and run a Glock (G17 G4MOS).  I ended up going with the Boss Kit from Ben S as well and although I don't have much to compare it against I love it.  Looking forward to my first match in 2 weeks.rig.thumb.jpg.faa095b242ea18a47919e6c03b6be7c6.jpg

Edited by dscl

1 hour ago, dscl said:

I'm in the same boat… new to USPSA, going to be shooting production and run a Glock (G17 G4MOS).  I ended up going with the Boss Kit from Ben S as well and although I don't have much to compare it against I love it.  Looking forward to my first match in 2 weeks.rig.thumb.jpg.faa095b242ea18a47919e6c03b6be7c6.jpg

What basepads are those? They look nice and provide frictions at the bottom. Are they easier to take off vs. the factory ones?

1 minute ago, risingsun said:

What basepads are those? They look nice and provide frictions at the bottom. Are they easier to take off vs. the factory ones?

Those are Henning Pro Production basepads. Love the feel of them in the hand, haven't actually removed them yet though so can't comment on your second question :D