Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.356 vs .355 in Glock 34 Gen 5

RGC

I have a few thousand extra .356 Zero and HAP’s that I need to turn into something.  Have plenty 38 SC so was looking to make some production friendly training rounds for a new to me Gen 5 Glock 34.

Read that these Gen 5 barrels may be tighter, etc.  Anyone had any experiences or qualms with .356 in these barrel?  I come from a world of “shouldn’t be a problem”....and then.

Looking for actual loads.  I am going to fill with N320 with standard 130 pf load strength.

The throats on the Gen5 9mm barrels don't seem to be as 'long' as Gen4.   I had to change my Gen4 pet load in order to pass the plunk in a gen5 barrel by shortening the OAL.  As far as bullet diameter, my coated bullets are .356 but that's coated and not jacketed.  I'd say the standard disclaimer applies - start low and work up.

You say 0.356", so that's the 125 HAP (The 115 gr HAP is 0.355").  4.1 to 4.2 gr N320 @ 1.12" or so should put you around 130pf........shouldn't be a problem. 

BTW: The Gen 5 Glock barrels aren't tighter, their throat however might be.

6 minutes ago, BJB said:

You say 0.356", so that's the 125 HAP (The 115 gr HAP is 0.355").  4.1 to 4.2 gr N320 @ 1.12" or so should put you around 130pf........shouldn't be a problem. 

BTW: The Gen 5 Glock barrels aren't tighter, their throat however might be.

Thanks.  Yes the 125 HAP.  The Zeros are also 125 but their seating depth is different due to profile.  But in general my concern or inquiry was related to the bullet OD.

15 minutes ago, RGC said:

Thanks.  Yes the 125 HAP.  The Zeros are also 125 but their seating depth is different due to profile.  But in general my concern or inquiry was related to the bullet OD.

Bullet OD will not be an issue at all.  The Gen 5 has a shorter lead-in but the HAP is good for that.  Plunk that thing up front to check your OAL then load away with no worries about OD.  Plunk the Zero too since it's a different profile.  If you have to shorten it a little still no worries at 4.1 to 4.2 grains of N320 because that's nowhere near max charge, pressures won't spike if you shorten OAL a little bit.