Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
kryo

Where I Went Wrong

Recommended Posts

I'd like to start this topic off with just things I did wrong when I got into the shooting sports since it has been almost a year and half. I imagine there's already another feed of this but here's to the new and out with the old. 

 

Like most guys I started buying stuff before I ever went to a match. I was so excited, researching everything I could online after coming across the T.Rex arms videos in the summer of 2017. I was a new guy in the military and had money burning a hole in my pocket and I thought these "tactical guys" know whats up. So my first impression on what to get was a glock 19, mags, a lot of ammo, and an overpriced belt rig. After trying steel challenge, I found uspsa and then 3 gun and I thought I could dabble in everything. I was wrong.

 

I have way more to add and talk about but would love to hear anyone else's early purchases or people who are looking into getting into the sport now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kryo said:

Like most guys I started buying stuff before I ever went to a match.

MISTAKE NUMBER ONE

I was so excited, researching everything I could online

DID YOU COME TO THESE FORUMS? TACTICAL TIMMIES KNOW NOTHING OF OUR COMPETITIONS

 I was a new guy in the military and had money burning a hole in my pocket

YOU MUST BE AN OFFICER BECAUSE IN 22 YEARS OF MILITARY SERVICE I NEVER HAD MONEY BURNING HOLES IN MY POCKETS LOLOL

 So my first impression on what to get was a glock 19,

WRONG

 After trying steel challenge, I found uspsa and then 3 gun and I thought I could dabble in everything. I was wrong.

YES YOU WERE. ESPECIALLY AS A BEGINNER

 

 Buying gear before ever going to a match is not only a classic mistake but someday, maybe you already have, you will be like, "damn that was dumb". We have all been there to some degree or another. I have bought and sold a lot of stuff for USPSA that I was convinced was perfect. Live and learn but never, ever, listen to "tactical guys" about anything competition related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely have hit that point and have done it a couple more times. Buy sell. I'm finally at a point where everything is correct and not cheap garbage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kryo said:

Definitely have hit that point and have done it a couple more times. Buy sell. I'm finally at a point where everything is correct and not cheap garbage. 

I still have my first set of Uncle Mike's plastic holster and mag pouches I bought long time ago. Used it once and never brought them to the range again. 😝😝😝

Edited by hiker88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before my first match, I got a Taurus PT101P and I thought it was just so badass because it looked like a beretta but it was .40 with 16 round magazines. "What could be better for Limited?", I thought. A had a fobus holster for it and paddle style magazine pouches. My bullets were facing the wrong way, and I started reloading for USPSA on a single stage.

Looking back, it was all so less-than-ideal. So what. I think it's super lame to smirk at what is on the new guy's belt. Nobody starts this sport knowing all the ins and outs, unless someone else has shown them. It's not intuitive stuff.

Of course it feels good to get to the point where you know all about the "right" gear, because you don't feel like an outsider anymore.


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, obsessiveshooter said:

  had a fobus holster for it and paddle style magazine pouches. My bullets were facing the wrong way
 I think it's super lame to smirk at what is on the new guy's belt.

 

Of all the weird setups I have seen at all the matches over the last 10+years I have never seen anybody I know smirk or make fun of any of it. Except maybe PCC. That still gets you some added "attention". But still good natured. BUT there is plenty of, "look at this friggin' guy", amongst other shooters with somebody always willing to go help the newb if he wants it. I had a guy show up with a new Open rig with his mags tilted the wrong way. We walked up and said he should reverse them like, well, all the rest of us 6-8 Open guys. He insisted he was doing it correctly so we left him alone. Watching him reload was entertaining of course. Next match he had it corrected and these days is a pretty high level shooter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kryo said:

My couple matches I used esstac kiwis 😑

I love my kywis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DVS20 said:

I love my kywis

Their awesome for retention but I wanted something a bit looser and more spread out at the time. Also I didn't know about the boil in water and form them trick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, well there was a match where I was laughing to myself at a guy. He was a little old guy with a beer belly. He had his shooting belt over his shirt, on top of the beer belly, with the pistol basically in his armpit. I'll never forget it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started with a 92fs, then moved to Glock, then Tanfoglio, then M&P and now a 2011... I've spent a lot of money trying to find "the one" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kryo said:

Their awesome for retention but I wanted something a bit looser and more spread out at the time. Also I didn't know about the boil in water and form them trick.

Yeah I can see that, they’re certainly not “race” mag holders but I doubt they’re going to be the piece of gear that’s gonna hold me back, as a matter of fact I doubt any of my gear/guns will be a limiting factor 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waaayy back when I bought my first real gun, I got myself a Ruger GP100 revolver. I figured that I could at least try anything with it. Bullseye style shooting, Practical, Metal Silhouette.... I havent tried Silhouette yet.

 

At some point, we started having some Practical style stuff, with no fixed rules, the GP100 was what I brought. I only had an old school Bianchi holster for it, and we hadn't yet figured that you have to cover the trigger guard. Something a bit like the picture from Safariland but black and unlined. 

 

BIA_5BHL_Thumbsnap Holster.jpg

When we got around to covered trigger guards, I applied some tape and cardboard to fix that....

 

When I take that Ruger to the range (or Match!) now, I bring a somewhat retro PWL holster.

 

IMG_3791_crop.jpg

Edited by perttime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 4:32 PM, obsessiveshooter said:

Before my first match, I got a Taurus PT101P and I thought it was just so badass because it looked like a beretta but it was .40 with 16 round magazines. "What could be better for Limited?", I thought. A had a fobus holster for it and paddle style magazine pouches. My bullets were facing the wrong way, and I started reloading for USPSA on a single stage.

Looking back, it was all so less-than-ideal. So what. I think it's super lame to smirk at what is on the new guy's belt. Nobody starts this sport knowing all the ins and outs, unless someone else has shown them. It's not intuitive stuff.

Of course it feels good to get to the point where you know all about the "right" gear, because you don't feel like an outsider anymore.


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 

No way I'd ever smirk at what's on a new guy's belt. I never, ever tell them that their gun is crap - at the end of the day, at their level of skill, it's pretty irrelevant.

In due course, they see what others run, start asking, and then start spending😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cliveb said:

No way I'd ever smirk at what's on a new guy's belt. 

 

Shoot some 3 gun and you will. Not at the poor guy or the average noob, but when they show up at their first match in a tac vest, smirking is gonna happen 

Edited by RJH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RJH said:

 

Shoot some 3 gun and you will. Not at the poor guy or the average noob, but when they show up at their first match in a tac vest, smirking is gonna happen 

Hey theres nothing like the shotgun caddies bolted to the back of a lifting belt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DVS20 said:

Yeah I can see that, they’re certainly not “race” mag holders but I doubt they’re going to be the piece of gear that’s gonna hold me back, as a matter of fact I doubt any of my gear/guns will be a limiting factor 

I completely agree, in the beginning it really didnt matter what I had. It was just about learning the process from the ground up. Its ashame that people dont seem to find this site right away. To be honest it was a year and half into shooting matches before someone mentioned the forum to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kryo said:

Hey theres nothing like the shotgun caddies bolted to the back of a lifting belt. 

 

 

That just sounds like poor guy, i am cool with that.  It is the ones who look like they are planning on going to war, wearing a tac vest ( plates is a plus), that arab scarf thing,  and talking about just using the match for "training."  These rend to be the guys that can't hit s#!t, make a ton of excuses why , and never come back, which may not be a bad thing.  They also usually ask what they will win before the match starts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RJH said:

 

 

That just sounds like poor guy, i am cool with that.  It is the ones who look like they are planning on going to war, wearing a tac vest ( plates is a plus), that arab scarf thing,  and talking about just using the match for "training."  These rend to be the guys that can't hit s#!t, make a ton of excuses why , and never come back, which may not be a bad thing.  They also usually ask what they will win before the match starts

Ahhhhh I know exactly what your talking about. The question is how do we take those guys and show them the in between especially if they are going to spend the money on a major. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kryo said:

Ahhhhh I know exactly what your talking about. The question is how do we take those guys and show them the in between especially if they are going to spend the money on a major. 

 

Over the years I have found that there are some types you just can't reach, so i just quit worrying about them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RJH said:

 

Over the years I have found that there are some types you just can't reach, so i just quit worrying about them

I guess all you can hope for is that they make their way over to the tactical games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to a match and just looked at what everyone was using and asked a ton of questions. It seemed like a lot of the guys were using pretty similar setups so I just went with those items. I tried to buy most items used but in good shape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 9:11 PM, RJH said:

 

 

That just sounds like poor guy, i am cool with that.  It is the ones who look like they are planning on going to war, wearing a tac vest ( plates is a plus), that arab scarf thing,  and talking about just using the match for "training."  These rend to be the guys that can't hit s#!t, make a ton of excuses why , and never come back, which may not be a bad thing.  They also usually ask what they will win before the match starts

 

LOL, seen them before at long range rifle matches too.  They all trained with a "Navy SEAL".  Ask them, they'll tell you.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 3:11 AM, RJH said:

 

 

That just sounds like poor guy, i am cool with that.  It is the ones who look like they are planning on going to war, wearing a tac vest ( plates is a plus), that arab scarf thing,  and talking about just using the match for "training."  These rend to be the guys that can't hit s#!t, make a ton of excuses why , and never come back, which may not be a bad thing.  They also usually ask what they will win before the match starts

OK, OK, I'll admit it..tac vests and assorted bulls#!t are way beyond the pale 🙂 No probs with the poor guys shooting with what they happen to have though. Thing is, the "tactical tosser" types are anything but poor - so sniggering is allowed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First Match was an IDPA based fun shot at an indoor range in 2003. I'd read a very old book (1970s) on practical shooting from my college library. I made myself a drop leg leather holster like the ones from the book. The match directer collected up all the newbies and gave us an hour class, before turning us loose on the range. Overall, it was a positive experience, and kept got me hooked. 

 

Next mistake was shooting IDPA for so long before jumping into USPSA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...