Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is SSR competitive with ESR?

IHAVEGAS

52 minutes ago, Gregg K said:

This is part of what made revolver fun, beat the autoloaders with a round gun. 😃

So did I, That was the best.

But for me eventually I realized I wasn't going to beat the good auto shooters, and the only way to really see where I at was to get in a division with more people. When I shot revolver in IDPA even a big sanctioned matches their might be 5 guys split between ESR and SSR and no more than 2 in any classification. I started shooting USPSA when IDPA stopped allowing the radically bobbed hammers. At least there I could shoot against 2 other Masters, and the 3 of us could chase Josh. He was typically 10-15% ahead. But that was only at majors, like 2-3 times a year. Locally it was just me. The good local shooters where all shooting bottom feeders so I switched. I found a lot of my movement skills where lacking because they aren't really required for Revo, at least not at the same level. I'm glad I switched, I'm a much better shooter overall because I stopped shooting revolvers.

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

So did I, That was the best.

But for me eventually I realized I wasn't going to beat the good auto shooters, and the only way to really see where I at was to get in a division with more people. When I shot revolver in IDPA even a big sanctioned matches their might be 5 guys split between ESR and SSR and no more than 2 in any classification. I started shooting USPSA when IDPA stopped allowing the radically bobbed hammers. At least there I could shoot against 2 other Masters, and the 3 of us could chase Josh. He was typically 10-15% ahead. But that was only at majors, like 2-3 times a year. Locally it was just me. The good local shooters where all shooting bottom feeders so I switched. I found a lot of my movement skills where lacking because they aren't really required for Revo, at least not at the same level. I'm glad I switched, I'm a much better shooter overall because I stopped shooting revolvers.

I think shooting both Revo and a racier division (say uspsa Open) makes for a pretty well rounded training set, the fast bottom feeder forces you to concentrate on movement and speed and the revo forces you to concentrate on the shooting stuff because 90% of movement in a match is spent reloading and the reload is general the limiting factor time wise

22 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I think shooting both Revo and a racier division (say uspsa Open) makes for a pretty well rounded training set, the fast bottom feeder forces you to concentrate on movement and speed and the revo forces you to concentrate on the shooting stuff because 90% of movement in a match is spent reloading and the reload is general the limiting factor time wise

Funny, I thought the same thing. So when I left Revo I jumped to Open lol 

Just now, MikeBurgess said:

All the way hard to all the way easy no half measures 

and no, open is not actually easy because you have to do it so quickly 

Defiantly one extreme to the other for sure. It was a good learning experience.

Yeah, I don't think any division is really easy. The easier the gun makes the shooting part the higher the HF, which means you need to be faster and the less room you have for error. I think Open may be the hardest division I've shot, but that is probably some personality dependent. For others production or revo could seem like the harder division depending how you're wired.

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

Defiantly one extreme to the other for sure. It was a good learning experience.

Yeah, I don't think any division is really easy. The easier the gun makes the shooting part the higher the HF, which means you need to be faster and the less room you have for error. I think Open may be the hardest division I've shot, but that is probably some personality dependent. For others production or revo could seem like the harder division depending how you're wired.

100%

I am by nature a Rabbit so running and squirting bullets like a fool in Open is natural to me, Revo makes me concentrate on all the important things like sight picture and trigger press that seem to make me a better shooter in general

• 3 weeks later...

Just enough to reliably make power factor with 230gn Blue Bullets.  I use Federal SMMP primers and Titegroup.

I am getting 727fps with a SD of 10.  Since there are no published loads for Titegroup and 230gn in GAP I am hesitant to

state exact charges.  Start Very Low and work up.