Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for aggressive 1911 grips?

Hooked

• 2 weeks later...

I took cheap plastic grips, sanded off the checkering and put on skateboard tape for my USPSA gun. First pair lasted about 10 years before they finally cracked. Second pair has been on for the past 5-6 years now.

• 4 months later...

I’m using LOK Grips “LOK Ops” texture. It’s essentially the same as the LOK Grips “Spec Ops” or VZ Grips “Operator 2” textures, but with the ridge portion running 90 degrees to the way it does on those textures. This makes the ridges oppose the gun’s motion in recoil, essentially causing it to dig in more as the gun pushes back into your hands. 

I've tried a variety and have concluded there's at least two dimensions to this question: texture and geometry.  I think geometry matters more.

Even the most aggressive thin profile grips I could find would let the gun slip backwards in my hand.  I just didn't have enough space between my strong hand finger tips and weak hand palm to take advantage of the texture there.

My 1911s now wear the DS Perman grips with skateboard tape.  You can change the tape to a more or less aggressive grit, and you'll always have enough surface area to get good contact.

eta: the Permans are also very light so it gives you room to use a steel mainspring housing or solid guide rod.

Edited by belus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have run VZ Simonich Gunners for a couple of years. They are very sharp though. Like uncomfortable for most people sharp. After 4-500 rounds they will leave my hands tender and I have fairly rough hands. Nobody I shoot with likes them, but if you want aggressive they are hard to beat.

• 1 month later...