Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for aggressive 1911 grips?


Hooked
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have some VZ Operator II panels(and am thinking about going to the Techwell version of them), but the front portion has the aggressive golf ball pattern of VZ Recons, which look similar to the Lok Bogies.

Are you wanting something more aggressive than the Bogies, or just seeing what other options are out there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the boogies on my CZ.  For 1911s I always use the Harrison Custom grips.  They don't look aggressive, but they are.  There is enough grip so that the pistol doesn't move in your hand, even is sweaty August.  There is not so much stick that you can't release and reposition to get to the mag release.  They are also extremely comfortable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a really big fan of the factory grips that came with my Sig 1911 MAXM... and I believe they are the same as the Hogue 1911 Extreme G10 chainlink grips:

 

https://www.hogueinc.com/handgun-grips/1911/gov/g10/standard/1911-govt-model-chain-link-solid-black-g10

 

My grips:

 

image.thumb.png.8f649c03942780b6777aeddb0558ee18.png

 

Hogue's picture:

 

2168775.800x800.jpg

 

I used to make my own custom 1911 grips with inset grip tape so I could get enough grip on the gun, but I don't need it with these grips.

 

If black chainlink isn't your style, they have other colors and styles as well as 3 thicknesses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have big hands so i prefer palm swell grips on my 1911s.  I have several sets of VZ Operator II grips and love them.  I also have a set of XS Shredder palm swells and they grip just as well, but are more comfortable.  The only way to know is to try different grips, either on other people's guns or you can do like the rest of us do and just buy lots of grips!

Jeff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!  As mentioned in my original post, I already have a set of Lok Bogies.  They’re good but I’m looking for something more aggressive.  

 

I might try try a set of Techwells with the grip tape inserts, but instead of using the standard grip tape panels, I’ll make some out of coarse Vicious Grip Tape. 

 

Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, alien_pickles said:

I'd also be curious about something more aggressive than the Lok bogies. I have the VZ recons and the loks, and neither compare to my aggressive PT grip on my 2011. I'm guessing that would be hard to replicate though without actually having a steel grip?

That’s what I’d like to have too.  Really surprised that someone hasn’t come out with a set of micro-pocket style grips in steel or aluminum that are like the PT or SVI 2011 grips!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Hooked said:

That’s what I’d like to have too.  Really surprised that someone hasn’t come out with a set of micro-pocket style grips in steel or aluminum that are like the PT or SVI 2011 grips!

 

Right? I would definitely be in the market for that, especially in aluminum if they could keep the weight legal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, alien_pickles said:

I'd also be curious about something more aggressive than the Lok bogies. I have the VZ recons and the loks, and neither compare to my aggressive PT grip on my 2011. I'm guessing that would be hard to replicate though without actually having a steel grip?

Roughnecks are more aggressive. If you want the most aggressive and make weight get a set of lok grips in whatever shape you want, apply JB weld and coarse silica carbide. It's not as rough as the PT evo micro pockets but it's more than enough. I have cuts and nearly bleeding in my hands from my coarse just from a basic local match with like 200rnds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sam_b said:

Roughnecks are more aggressive. If you want the most aggressive and make weight get a set of lok grips in whatever shape you want, apply JB weld and coarse silica carbide. It's not as rough as the PT evo micro pockets but it's more than enough. I have cuts and nearly bleeding in my hands from my coarse just from a basic local match with like 200rnds.

 

I did a silicone carbide grip on a Glock once. I wasn't impressed. Might not have been coarse enough though

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2020 at 11:30 AM, alien_pickles said:

 

I did a silicone carbide grip on a Glock once. I wasn't impressed. Might not have been coarse enough though

 

I used a 36/70 silica carbide mix. It's easy to hold even wet. I would like to add a palm swell on my next set, mainly because I like it on my limited gun and want the same feel on the SS gun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still toying with the idea of silicon carbide. I think 40 grit and 60 grit are the popular ones for grips.  But for my 1911 I bought a pair of walnut grips and sanded them down to my preferred thickness. I got skateboard tape off ebay, not grip tape, skateboard tape. Cut it to fit and slapped it on there. Got a plenty of tape left for more grips and replacement too. Only cost $8 for the tape. Loved it ever since. It was so aggressive new that I took an empty 9mm case and used the case mouth to scrape it down a tad. You'd probably like it without scraping it. I type on a keyboard all day. I don't need my hands to bleed every time I shoot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...