Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left Handed wanting to shoot PRS

WadetheSpade95

Wanting to get into PRS. Being left handed I have a few different options. Shoot a gas gun and make Ambi, use right handed gun and manipulate action, or get left handed gun. 

I can get an incredible deal on a Ruger Precision chambered in any caliber I want. Is it reasonable to think I can shoot in PRS using a right handed gun and manipulate with left hand or right hand? 

Appreciate any advice 

You will not want a gas gun for PRS competitions. The problem will be when you are asked to hold the bolt open during transitions. This will be very difficult with a gas gun, REALLY easy for a bolt gun. 

It is best to get a left handed bolt gun for PRS. There are plenty out there, just not a huge selection. The RPR is a great rifle, but there are a lot of other options out there. I would not get focused on a "good deal", but instead work on a rifle that works for you. In the PRS game, accuracy is critical. That accuracy builds your confidence in the rifle and then you really start performing well. If there is doubt or something is not comfortable, your scores will suffer. Get the rifle right, everything else falls into place over time. 

When choosing a caliber, be sure to understand that you will be shooting this round 80-100 times per match. Ensure it is a caliber that is right for the PRS scene, like 6mm Creedmor or 6.5mm Creedmor. There are ton of others, of course. 

It is best to get a lefty bolt action rifle - unless you are already accustomed to working a righty bolt rifle.

What lots of people seem to do is, get a Tikka or Remington (or Remington clone) barreled action and put it in a chassis of choice.

6.5 Creedmoor is the most uncomplicated caliber choice now: Good availability of commercial ammo and loading components. Very good ballistics.

10 hours ago, WadetheSpade95 said:

Wanting to get into PRS. Being left handed I have a few different options. Shoot a gas gun and make Ambi, use right handed gun and manipulate action, or get left handed gun. 

I can get an incredible deal on a Ruger Precision chambered in any caliber I want. Is it reasonable to think I can shoot in PRS using a right handed gun and manipulate with left hand or right hand? 

Appreciate any advice 

Another Lefty here.  While I don't shoot PRS I am sponsored by a company that builds those rifles and we've talked about this very thing for me.  I've never owned a left handed bolt gun, but have shot right handed ones since I was a kid.  I think in a PRS match there would be an advantage to keeping your strong handed mounted on the gun, while your weak hand manipulates the bolt.  And more importantly, when you decide to sell the rifle, a left handed one is MUCH harder to sell.

4 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

The problem will be when you are asked to hold the bolt open during transitions. This will be very difficult with a gas gun, REALLY easy for a bolt gun. 

i haven't done a ton, but all have used the prs rule below, for semi's it has to be on safe vs having to lock the bolt back.

1.3.3 All transitions and movements during a course of fire must be done with open bolts and an empty chamber. An exception will be made for Semi-Automatic Rifles but only at the discretion and approval of the Match Director. If the MD does permit transitions and movements with a hot rifle, the weapon must be on safe and the shooter must give an audible “Safe” before moving; NO EXCEPTIONS.

11 minutes ago, davsco said:

i haven't done a ton, but all have used the prs rule below, for semi's it has to be on safe vs having to lock the bolt back.

1.3.3 All transitions and movements during a course of fire must be done with open bolts and an empty chamber. An exception will be made for Semi-Automatic Rifles but only at the discretion and approval of the Match Director. If the MD does permit transitions and movements with a hot rifle, the weapon must be on safe and the shooter must give an audible “Safe” before moving; NO EXCEPTIONS.

Yep, and you will probably limit yourself to maybe half the matches out there. 

And really, we are getting beside the point. VERY few shooters in the PRS realm shoot a gas gun anyways, being that it isn't as accurate and more difficult to shoot in the first place. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would find a good traditional left handed bolt gun.  The match directors design stages that favor having a traditional setup.  Like Nevadazielmeister states, no one really shoots gas guns in PRS matches.  They are at a true disadvantage in my opinion.  The left handed competitors I know shoot left handed bolt guns. 

• 4 weeks later...

Do yourself a favor and get a left hand bolt gun , it alot easier and probably faster to manipulate the bolt with your left hand vs right hand because most of the time your going to be supporting the rifle somehow with your right hand and that's going to require more movement which leads to more time . I do understand that there are people out there that are left handed and shoot a right handed rifle and are pretty quick, at the end of the day it's you shooting the rifle so get what you want (bolt or gas) and have fun

• 1 month later...

So I am pretty far into the lefty bolt gun journey with no rifle yet, but I hope that you can learn from my experiences. I started off with a lefty savage with the intention of ordering a 6mm creedmoor barrel and making it into a usable gun. I ordered a barrel from Apache gun works which ended up taking over a year to get my refund due to the barrel never showing up. Following that I ordered a PVA John Hancock in 6 creed, which I waited two years for before finally cancelling my order and getting my refund back. Now I am almost four years into this game and my Bighorn TL3 should be here in June and I am building it myself. 

If I was to do it over again I would go for 6.5 creed Bergara B14 HMR and call it good. I already invested in dies, brass, bullets, etc. for the 6 creed or I would have gone down this path. That, or just suck it up and buy the gun you want to begin with. I have always wanted a TL3, and with pre-fit shouldered barrels I will be able to do caliber swaps in the field. Sorry for the long post, but hopefully this helps you. 

I've always shot right handed bolt guns left handed... so to me it feels normal.  

It would actually be a learning curve for me to use an all lefty rifle.

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2020 at 10:45 PM, venatic said:

Get the Tikka TAC it’s offered in LH and it’s ready to roll for PRS

I am very interested in the TAC a1.
Is it eligible for Production class?
I haven't been able to find an MSRP for it at Tikka's site or any other page yet, to find out if it is officially under 2k. I know it usually lists for 18ish and I've heard of them around 16...
Also, any recommends from anyone as to the best glass with a christmas tree reticle for PRS that also has an MSRP under 2k??